It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
(male)

renegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB User
Bicep Tendon Help

I was told by my ortho that I have a bicep tear after he looked at the MRI. I have done some reading on it and have read that there is either bulging, bruising, or swelling in the area, but I have none of that. There is sharp pain and discomfort in the shoulder and very top of the arm near the shoulder. I had a full labrum repair in Dec of last year. Is it possible to have a bicep tear without the swelling, bruising, or bulging?

The following user gives a hug of support to renegaderob18:
MountainReader (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Bicep Tendon Help

My shoulder subluxes and I've ended up with bicep tendonitis fairly frequently. I've never had swelling, bruising, or bulging with it. I just have the pain.

Because my shoulder won't ever be "normal" again since my last surgery, even though I've regained full ROM, I've found I do some things a bit differently because of the shoulder issues which inflame the bicep at times. It is hard for me to get treatment because insurance hasn't liked covering PT when I still have full ROM, even though it hurts.

Mostly, I use ice, heat, TENS, and NSAIDS. I also love using BioFreeze as well.

I will say that I often have shoulder tendonitis or bursitis that gets worse with the bicep issues as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
(male)

renegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB User

Have you had a bicep tear? I am trying to find out if there is bulging, swelling or bruising anywhere near the area? I don't know if one of if any of those symptoms always show up with a torn bicep tendon.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

When I had my laproscopic surgery, my orthopedic surgeon looked at my bicep tendon. It wasn't torn, just really inflamed. Before surgery, he talked to me about my options. The option he most recommended if things were bad was to just cut one of the tendons to provide relief. He cautioned that it was a possible "side effect" of the surgery to develop "Popeye" arm. It doesn't always happen though. I'd imagine that a tear could be similar.

What treatments are you being offered?

Reply Reply