It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

Iseekanswers HB User
Multipal shoulder surgeries

I injured myself at work back in March and eventually had to have Rotater cuff surgery in May. It was supposed to be straight forward surgery to repair a full thickness tear of my cuff and repair my labrum. The surgeon said the surgery couldn't have gone better. About 5 days post op I felt a painful pop followed by severe burning. I immediately called the surgeon office and spoke with his assistant that said it was normal. I then had a 10 day post op appointment witch included an xray at which time it was discovered that one of the anchors broke and was not where it should be. The assistant apologized and contacted the surgeon ASAP. I was scheduled for surgery 4 days later. In the mean while I'm experiencing severe pain. So I have the second surgery and afterwards in the recovery room I am in extreme pain so much that I was admitted for 2 days to get my pain under control. I was released and followed up with the assistant who then told me that the anchor actually broke during the first surgery and the decided to leave it in. They said there was nothing attached to it so it was harmless. The surgeon told me the next visit that it did not break it simply came loose which is why I had so much pain because it loosened the repair. (I thought there was nothing attached to it?) The surgeon continually denied that it broke. When they retrieved the broken anchor the had to tear through another tendon and do another repair. It's been 5 months and I have been having lots of pain and doing physical therapy. I sought a second opinion from a second surgeon and now have to have a 3rd surgery to repair a failed repair. Anyone have anything simular.. It sounds very schetchy to me. I can't seem to get straight answers from the first surgeon. Is it normal to leave a broken anchor in? Why would he lie about it and even put in his surgical report that there were no complications? I would really love to hear from another surgeon.

Last edited by Iseekanswers; 11-05-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply