It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
(male)

bigdiesel717 HB User
Shoulder pain

So all day today my left shoulder has been hurting. I'm a large fellow so I'm kind of torn as to what the problem is. I was told at the beginning of this week that I had early osteoarthritis so it could be something to do with that but I always heard that left arm pain may come before a heart attack. Is there anyone on here who can help me? Thanks

I realize if I'm that worried I should just go to the ER but in case I'm overreacting I would like to skip the ER trip.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-04-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
(male)

DaveO48 HB UserDaveO48 HB User
Re: Shoulder pain

Hi,
Shoulder pain is a large area. Any idea what the onset cause is? Where in the shoulder, and when, specifically does it hurt? What level is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10? Is there any bruising?
Review these questions and your problem may come into focus. Most injuries are either traumatic, long term use/misuse, aging, or genetic in nature.
Mine have been a combination of osteoarthritic and connective tissue disorders.
I have had rotator cuff injuries to both shoulders with spurring occurring in the acromioclavicular joint surfaces.
See your primary care doctor, explain your concerns and he/she should be able to direct you to further care as needed.
Don't put it off, the shoulder is a complex joint, pain there needs to be addressed as soon as reasonably possible.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-04-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
(male)

bigdiesel717 HB User

The pain is probably a 5. What does the pain of spurs feel like in your shoulder?

Last edited by bigdiesel717; 12-30-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
(male)

DaveO48 HB UserDaveO48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdiesel717 View Post
The pain is probably a 5. What does the pain of spurs feel like in your shoulder?
Hi,
Actually, the bone spurs themselves don't seem to create the pain for me. The issue is the shredding of the tendons by the spurring that causes the pain once the damage gets to a point where a "tear" occurs. My orthopedic doctor removed the spurs that were present when the surgery on the rotator cuff was performed. That makes the joint smoother and helps with movement.
I equate my pain levels like my kidney stones were a 9. So my shoulder pain was about a 6. The pain was the most severe when I tried to raise my arm above my shoulder, which I could not do.
If the pain is associated with movement or lifting it could be rotator cuff damage. If it is constant, intense, pain even when you aren't moving the arm there are other possibilities. At any rate you need to have your shoulder evaluated as the damage can be progressive and the longer you wait the worse it will get.
Have it looked at.

Reply Reply