It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
(male)

SCman HB User
Smile rotator cuff

I am almost 7 weeks post op. Start therapy Thursday 2 X week. on top of that, I am going to the gym doing very light weight training hoping to strengthen the surrounding muscle groups to help with recovery. Question has to do with therapy though. When doing any exercise that pushes away from the body, whether to the side or front, there is a great deal of pain in the upper arm/shoulder area. should that much pain still be there after this many weeks?

Old 02-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Pain following rotator cuff repair

Hi I'm a little Leary of the gym stuff hopefully you have trainer working with you.
Have you spoken to your dr about this pain? It almost sounds like an impingement what does therapy say? Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User
Re: Pain following rotator cuff repair

Definitely check with your doctor regarding any workouts at the gym. At seven weeks out, not surprised you are still having pain. Not knowing exactly what you had done, just imagine the irritation to the surrounding muscles where your surgery was done. For me at nine months out, it was "the pouring liquids" motion that were still causing me issues. Both my PT and Dr. said it was just a result of scar tissue, and the surrounding muscle tissues realigning themselves. The hardest thing, was not pushing it too fast during rehab, as full range of motion probably take a year plus to regain. And yes, watch your ergonomics as you don't want to end up with tendinitis issues! I went into my surgery with low-grade chronic bilateral wrist tendinitis problems, but was able to get through all of my PT without a serious flare up.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
(male)

SCman HB User
Truth be told, this is my second injury to my left shoulder, wihich ironically is my dominant arm.First injury was more severe. I was electrocuted by 480 volts, 124 amps. My buddy kicked me off and I fell 12 ft landing on my left shoulder shocking my heart back to life. Paramedics said that was what happened, now I have an irregular heartbeat from it. The shoulder was completely destroyed. A class 6 separation. The arm was 2 inches lower than normal and all nerves and tendons were torn completely in half. I got bolted and pinned back together, with the clavicle having 1/2 inch removed. To this day the top of my left hand is numb. This time its much simpler. The bicep tendon was partially torn and the subscapularis tendon had a complete 3 cm tear. I know Im probably pushing it a little harder than needed but I am tired of being down. I spent 4 of the last 5 years recovering fron a neck injury. Accident crushed C4 and C5 vertabrae. First surgery was anterior stabilization with fusion from C3 to C6. Second surgery was posterior fusion from C2 to C7. Third time was to removed rods in rear. Giving headaches. Recovered from it and was putting down felt on my workshed when I slipped and caught the peak under my arm, dislocating the left arm. Will popping it back in, they tore the subscapularis tendon. I went into the gym and fought through the pain and one morning was doing lay down cable curls whenxI tore my bicep tendon incboth arms. Now I at the point stated above. I will talk to therapist on Tuesday. If he can't help, I will get with doc. Sorry about the novel. Thanks

Last edited by Administrator; 02-02-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
(female)

changedforever6 HB User
Re: rotator cuff

wow, sounds like you have more than the common rotator cuff surgery. My husband just had his surgery at the end of November and it is slow going. He had one muscle torn 80% off the bone and it is a slow recovery. What I am getting at it is this,,,,it is hard to compare rotator cuff surgeries because there are more than one tendon/muscle that can be torn and it can be a 10 % tear or a 100% tear. This is why its hard to compare them. MY dad had 3 muscles torn off the bone, he was off work for 6 months. It sounds like you went thru a lot worse than that. Having said that I am interested in how you recover over the next several months so please come back and update in this thread from time to time. Good luck in your recovery.

Reply Reply