It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User
Re: To have surgery or not

I admit i have been in and out of pain management. My 5 surgeries have all failed, and this next one is a salvage reverse replacement. Before this, i never had any issues or injuries. To go from an active good life to this after one injury sucks. This reverse replacement is for pain relief, but since it is my second replacement revision, my chances of a decent outcome are dismal.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
(female)

guinivere HB User

I totally understand. Before my injury I was a marathon runner and now I struggle to walk. My injury is a disabling injury but I chose to be encouraged as my doc said that 90 percent of folks who do what I did fracture their spine. She always told me that I could have been a paraplegic or dead so I continue on. She said that when my pain level gets to a three they will call it a success. I am not what I was but neither am I what I could have been. Chronic pain really wears on the nerves. I hope you have success.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
(female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User

As others have said, pain is such a subjective term.

For me, the pain that was generated the first two weeks I had PT was the worst. And again as others have stated-initially make sure you take your drugs! And don't drive.

I am now one year two months post surgery. My range of motion is doing real well, although I still can't get my hand\arm behind my back up parallel to my spine as presurgery.

Regarding PT, and most importantly post PT. You still need to be diligent with your home exercise regime. I find that if I skip them for a couple of days it's amazing how quickly things feel "stiff". Unfortunately, I still don't have a strong sense of "how strong" I am now. My biggest fear is going out and reinjury. Additionally, if you're able, research your different PT options, as you want a facility that specializes in shoulders.

Good luck!

PS

Showerhead on a flexible hose was a godsend!

The following user gives a hug of support to WW2ER:
guinivere (02-22-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to WW2ER For This Useful Post:
guinivere (02-22-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
(female)

neverfrozen HB User
Smile Re: To have surgery or not

I took a road trip from Houston to Seattle and drove mainly with one hand. When I arrived m y shoulder was unbearable. Finally after a few months I went to the doctor and he suggested surgery. My son suggested I try light weights and fish oil and glucosumine supplements. I I could not do the light weights due to the pain but I did do the fish oil and the other. I am fine now. Maybe it cleared up on its own but maybe it was the other things.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #20
Inactive
(female)

Aurelia5 HB User

Glucosamine is an interesting thing. It isn't regulated by the FDA, so I found some brands worked, and others didn't. They say it can't hurt you. And fish oil is very good.

But to be on the safe side, you should have an MRI to make sure nothing is torn. A palliative is not a cure. Have it checked.

Hope you get good news.

Aurelia5 ( A5)

Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #21
(female)

guinivere HB User

When I first went to the ortho he had me on pt for two months. He said that if it were impingement syndrome that the two months of pt would fix it. If it did not fix then it was more than likely a torn cuff. MIT appears yours was impingement.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #22
(female)

jocelyn7035 HB User

From my experience, you should go for a surgery so that you can have a pain free life.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
(female)

Preciousbubs HB User
Unhappy Re: To have surgery or not Update

Hi, i just wanted to give an update. I saw my orthopedic surgeon last Thursday March 7th. I had a list of about 14 questions about the surgery, would it be an open surgery (yes and he would be detaching my deltoid muscle to be able to get in and repair everything), how long is the surgery, questions about pain control, physio, etc. He answered every question I asked. I have decided to go ahead and have the surgery. The surgery is scheduled for May 31st but I am on a cancellation list so it could be moved up. He did tell me that I would be given a nerve block for the pain and would be in hospital 1 or 2 nights. Just as an aside last week I ended up in the hospital with a kidney stone and had to have surgery. The stone was very large and was embedded in the top of the ureter and the urologist said I would never pass it. He went in and lasered the stone and put a stent in that has to stay for another few weeks to allow the damaged ureter to heal.

Reply Reply