It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
(Uninjured) shoulder started to hurt after starting PT

Last September, I hurt my left shoulder and starting doing PT on it; no issue with my right shoulder. After months with some improvement, I had an MRI done which indicated partial rotator cuff tear & impingement syndrome. My doctor recommened I see a different physiotherapist before we consider more agressive treatment on my damaged left shoulder.

So I started to see a new physiotherapist in January who is really focussed on the impingement syndrome. He has given exercies to strengthen the rotator cuff, but also is having me focus on my shoulder movement to minimize the impingement syndrome (i.e. "sucking" the ball into the joint before moving my arm).

He has me doing this on both shoulders as he claims my right shoulder is also unstable. I never had any issue with my right shoulder, nor did I have any actual testing to indicate there was an issue. But, ever since I started seeing him, I've been having pains in the right shoulder...much like the same as my left damaged shoulder... but not as severe.

Are the PT exercises wrongfully prescribed for my right shoulder, more specifically the "sucking" ball into joint? Or is my right shoulder just under extra stress since I do use it more than my left shoulder? If that's the case, I find it strange that i'm only having problems since I started doing these new exercises. Thoughts?

As a sidenote, the injury to my left shoulder was a result of my training at the gym, which I have stopped entirely since the injury.

Last edited by Andrew29; 02-17-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Aurelia5 HB User
Re: (Uninjured) shoulder started to hurt after starting PT

Dear Mr 29

I jumped when I saw your post, as I am sitting here with my arm throbbing from my second rotator cuff surgery. The first one didn't heal, and it is my belief that it was re-torn from physical therapy. I could be very wrong, but pt was getting more and more painful, and then one day, I felt something let go. The doc said it wasn't my fault and didn't think it was from pt, and he swore up and down that he anchored it down hard. It's the shoulder ghost - whoooooo could it be?

My question to you for your doctor, not your therapist, is, if it's TORN, why are they giving you stretching exercises that are now making the other arm hurt as well, and why aren't they stopping it since it hurts? This sounds like a case for a different opinion.

I am surprised your orthopedist -( you are seeing an orthopedist too, I hope?) saw a tear and didn't recommend surgery to sew it up. It seems obvious, but I'm not a doctor. I'm writing from experience and looking at the MRI and photos of my shoulder. My tear went all the way through.

And yes, since I've had to use my other arm more, it hurts now too, but just from overwork, not what a tear feels like. I'd ask them why you're continuing with exercises that are making you feel worse. Then try to decipher the answer.

Let me know what they come up with. I couldn't get a straight answer out of my doc.

Your friend in pain,

Aurelia5. (A5)

Old 02-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

Hi Auerlia5,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear your RC has retorn; I've definetly read that retear is quite common, even after surgery. That's terrible eh? Did they mention if you had impingement syndrome as well? In theory, if that was the root cause of the problem, then I can see how the repetitive motions of PT could tear it so quickly.

I don't have an orthopedist yet, but am seeing a doctor who focusses on sport injuries. Mine was only a partial tear which is why surgery is currently not on the table.

I don't know why my UNTORN shoulder is hurting now. My therapist has always downplayed the tear in my bad shoulder citing the "pain is not likely from the tear, but more from your impingement syndrome".

I haven't told him my "good" shoulder has been hurting me since I started seeing him, but I suspect he's going to say, "it's your impingement syndrome, so please continue the exercises". But I never had the MRI on my "good" shoulder to confirm the impingement is on both shoulders... it was only "tested" based on him feeling my shoulder.

I'll ask my doctor next time I see him, but one thing i've learned so far is that the rehab for shoulder injuries (major injuries excluded) is all the same, so I don't expect a ground breaking recommendation from him.

Last edited by Andrew29; 02-19-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
(female)

Preciousbubs HB User

Hi, I am currently going for physiotherapy for my right shoulder. I have a complete tear with retraction of one tendon and a partial longitudinal split tear of the long head bicep tendon plus bone spurs among other . My good shoulder has been hurting and my therapist said that is because it is doing extra work because I can't use my right arm properly. She is also doing passive ROM exercises to keep the shoulder from freezing. I have seen an orthopedic surgeon and am now in the process of deciding if I should go ahead with the surgery to repair the right shoulder. Your therapist is probably doing stretching exercises to keep your shoulder mobile so it doesn't freeze. I know it hurts, mine does too but you should persever and also see an orthopedic surgeon. I was told that when you see an orthopedic surgeon they will usually send you for physio for a few months before offering surgery if it is an option. I had been going for physio since October before I saw the surgeon in Februarynd still am. He did ask me if I had been going for physio. Please go and see an orthopedic surgeon before things get worse.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Aurelia5 HB User

Hi Andrew
Impingement Syndrome was never mentioned, and when I looked it up, it said one of the symptoms is acute pain if you reach for your back pocket. Don't have that.

I was feeling pretty good last week so I took my sling off for two days, which was allowed, but then it started to hurt again. I am getting nervous. If he didn't fix it right again, or whatever the heck is going wrong, I'm going to freak out.

Precious proved that there are good orthopedic doctors out there. She has one. So go to different ones til you get your answers. I'll be watching to see what you come up with!

A5

Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

russelctgbd HB User

I thinking there was no anticipating for my pain. I am so thankful I found out about Dr. Joseph Purita and stem.md. I have had back pain for over 5 years, debilitating me to do everyday things. Today my pain has gone down 50%. I tell all my friends and family and wish everyone knew about this wonderful treatment. Thank you so much Dr. Joseph Purita.

Reply Reply