It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
(male)

TL1 HB User
Re: Full thickness rotator cuff tear and more - advice?

WOW!!! 3 months?
You must have really messed up your shoulder, was it an injury, bad surgery or a combination?
Anyway, button up shirts are my preference, I love short sleeve linen shirts in the summer. Yes it is my dominant side, I'm not looking forward to everyday personal hygiene if you know what I mean...... I'm sure there is a lot of other roadblocks as well.
Thank you both very much.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #17
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

Injury. Started with a rotator cuff tear and compression humeral head fracture. Six surgeries and 3 years later I have no rotator cuff left, a reverse replacement and chronic pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
(male)

TL1 HB User

Ouch
That sounds really bad. Your's must have been medically necessary surgery because of the injury, mine is elective even though they talk like it's necessary. Are you anti surgery now after your many procedures?

Old 06-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

Nothing is necessary. We always have a choice. My doc was very reluctant to do both my latest surgeries - knowing and suspecting the result would be poor and he was right. The proverbial "between a rock and a hard place" decision. As for the original situation, if I had done nothing, I'd have pain from the cuff tear and arthritis. Knowing what I know now, and considering my present situation, I would be a thousand times better off if I had done nothing. I am considering a suprascapular nerve block now. I have had two trial diagnostic blocks - temporary injections to see where the pain would be numbed. This would have worked GREAT for the pain from the cuff tear and arthritis - it is not so good for the pain I have now which covers a much broader area. He would have to numb my entire arm to cover that area, and that isn't good. Plus my range of motion is abysmal, and the bone is so fragile now these docs keep telling me if I fall, it is all over (don't know what that means, how much worse can this GET?) I am not anti-surgery, but AM anti-multiple surgeries. I know of some people who keep going back thinking one more surgery will solve their problems. THAT won't happen.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #20
(male)

TL1 HB User

I've had a good look on the web now and.. I didn't even know they did stuff like that....

Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #21
(male)

TL1 HB User

I got a call from my surgeon's office today and will be having my surgery next Monday. I thought I'd have a little more warning but she did say she'd like to do it sooner rather than later. It's only been 8 weeks since MRI and 4 weeks since seeing the surgeon for the first time so I guess that's sooner than most. Now I'm nervous, more than I thought I would be. I'll post after the procedures are done to complain about how much pain I'm in. Ha Ha

Old 07-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #22
Inactive
(female)

Best wishes! Be sure to start your pain meds before the block wears off!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #23
(female)

coping1 HB User

I had rotator cuff surgery 7 yrs ago-had 2 tears repaired. The surgery is pretty tough but I was in so much pain before the surgery that, other than the first couple of days after surgery, I didn't think the PT, etc was that much more painful than the pain prior to surgery.
Button up shirts and elastic waist paints are the way to go-nothing you need to pull over your head.
Make sure you have someone with you those first few days because you really do need help doing things so that you are not tempted to move your arm. I think now they have it strapped to your body-they'd didn't back when I had my surgery, just a sling.
Keep up with your pain medicine those first few days-don't try to tough it out. It's much harder to control the pain if you let it get away from you.
I have 100% function back in my shoulder. I can't tell I ever had a problem. My tears were caused by an injury. The surgery was well worth the pain in my opinion!

Good luck!!

Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
(male)

TL1 HB User

Hey, what kind of pain meds should they be giving me? I just assumed it would be Percocet. Is there something else that works better?

Old 07-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #25
(female)

coping1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL1 View Post
Hey, what kind of pain meds should they be giving me? I just assumed it would be Percocet. Is there something else that works better?
I believe they gave me Percocet. I don't remember having trouble with my pain being controlled.
The biggest problem I remember having was with the block the gave me in my arm. You have absolutely no feeling in your arm and my arm kept slipping out of the sling and I wouldn't realize it-that would freak me out! Now, they strap your arm to your body so that doesn't happen.
Just remember to take the pain medicine before the block wears off. You want to stay ahead of the pain.

Keep telling yourself the pain is only temporary and before long you will be pain free. It is worth it!!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
Inactive
(female)

Patients usually get percocet and it should work fine. Most are off the meds in a couple weeks, or then just take them for PT.
I am 4 years out from the original cuff repair. I now have no rotator cuff at all, a reverse total shoulder replacement, chronic pain and atrophied deltoid. Talk about surgery gone wrong for a simple injury. Lost 65 pounds, qualified for disability, can't ride my horse. Sucks.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #27
(male)

TL1 HB User

It's been one week since my surgery and everything seems to be just fine. The surgery itself went well and the pain is about the same as it was before. The only thing that really bothers me is some pain from the muscles in my forearm and upper arm, I think they're starting to cramp up from inactivity. I can't start any physio for at least another week and I don't really want to do percocets just for muscle pain. Does anybody else have some experience with this type of problem?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #28
(male)

TL1 HB User

It's been 2 1/2 weeks since my surgery now and what started as muscle cramps in my forearm and bicep muscles has turned into loss of function in my thumb tip and pointer finger tip (flexor tendons not firing). My surgeon says to phone on Monday if there's no improvement because it's not normal and concerns her. Has anybody here had this happen? Could it just be nerve entrapment or should I be freaking out? It would be very bad for my career as I'm a cabinetmaker and rely very heavily on fully functioning fingers.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User

TL1 -- how are you? have you had your surgery yet? if not, are you wishing more tips on your surgery? galalena gave you such great tips..... i, too, have had rotator cuff surgery....and would suggest lots and lots of robes and prepped meals prior to your surgery if you have not already had the surgery. let us know how you are....

Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #30
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User

yo -- it seems my computer had a whole bunch of messages come in all at once..... it's a good thing your doc wants to see you soon if you still have no function in your thumb and fingers by monday......every doc has their own way of when to start PT ...i was in PT 10 days after surgery, but every surgery is different so don't judge by others...... hopefully you'll get an answer when you see your doctor....

Reply Reply