It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shyness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

Shy One HB User
Unhappy Afraid to overcome anxiety and shyness?

All right... This is going to sound kind of weird. I don't really understand it myself. I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there like this. I have a huge anxiety problem and social anxiety disorder. I HATE being this way sometimes. Like I go through periods of being kind of okay with it and periods of being completely stressed out and miserable. And as long as I can remember I have always been kind of afraid to overcome it. I just realized it now but I have always been this way. I'm afraid of who i'll be if I do... i guess. I don't really know.

Old 03-21-2004, 01:41 PM   #2

franjava22 HB User
Re: Afraid to overcome anxiety and shyness?

It's what we know. We've been this way all our lives. I was always the kid who played alone in her room. I had friends, but they never took up a ton of my time. I'm "comfortable" with my lack of confidence, anxiety problems, shyness, etc. I can't make phone calls, I can't invite anyone anywhere, I can't have people visit, it's all too stressful. I never made good friends at work, though school and church were always good for that. It's easier being the old us and complain than to try harder and change ourselves and overcome fears and stresses. (I'm the first to admit it!!!!!!!!) I'll forever be this way because it's me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2004, 08:13 AM   #3

black_eyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjava22
It's what we know. We've been this way all our lives. I was always the kid who played alone in her room. I had friends, but they never took up a ton of my time. I'm "comfortable" with my lack of confidence, anxiety problems, shyness, etc. I can't make phone calls, I can't invite anyone anywhere, I can't have people visit, it's all too stressful. I never made good friends at work, though school and church were always good for that. It's easier being the old us and complain than to try harder and change ourselves and overcome fears and stresses. (I'm the first to admit it!!!!!!!!) I'll forever be this way because it's me.
Thats a very negative attitude to have

Old 03-26-2004, 03:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

paxil is being promoted for social anxiety, have a look at their website
books on overcoming SA have useful advice

Old 03-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
(female)

Shy One HB User

I have books but haven't really read through them well. I have a Zoloft starter kit which I couldn't handle. I felt like I was always on edge and my teeth were like always clenched like I was on extacy all the time. I couldn't take it. If I [/I]really[I] wanted to change and wasn't afraid I would have gotten through it. I take Xanax from time to time... not everyday. Egh... I just don't know what to do with myself sometimes. I think franjava explained it well. It's all I know. I think being on constant medication will also make it worse.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

You have to read and apply what's in the books or they'll never help you and just end up being a waste of money. I think everyone is afraid of what changes may come if they get well to some degree, but the fact is you will still be basically the same person but with more freed up energy, more zest for life and you'll experience less stress and anxiety. Whether you get relief with AD's or CBT the core you will remain the same, just less troubled. I hope you seek some kind of help!!!

Billy

Old 03-27-2004, 10:03 AM   #7

franjava22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_eyes
Thats a very negative attitude to have

I know. Shy One said she was afraid to overcome shyness and was there anyone else out there like that. I just told her what I feel and thought maybe that's why she (at least I've been assuming Shy One is a she) may have issues. I may have worded it poorley, but at least she knows she's not alone with her fear to change things...

Closed Thread