It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shyness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
Inactive

Dan989 HB User
Anyone tried these prescription drugs for depression or shyness

Anyone ever tried any of these. If so, how did they work.
I hear there for depression and social phobia.

MAOIs
Phenelzine (Nardil) 45 to 90 mg per day $1.50
Tranylcypromine (Parnate) 40 to 60 mg per day 2.00

Benzodiazepines
Alprazolam (Xanax) 2 to 10 mg per day 2.00 (1.50 to 2.00)
Lorazepam (Ativan) 2 to 6 mg per day 1.50 (.85 to 1.00)
Clonazepam (Klonopin) 1 to 3 mg per day 0.50 (0.75 to 1.00)

Beta blockers
Propranolol (Inderal) 40 mg as needed 0.50 (0.20 to 0.40)
Nadolol (Corgard) 40 to 80 mg as needed 1.50 (1.00 to 1.50)
Atenolol (Tenormin) 50 to 100 mg as needed 1.00 (0.50 to 1.00)

Old 09-21-2004, 05:14 AM   #2
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Re: Anyone tried these prescription drugs for depression or shyness

Dan, the beta blockers are for people with heart disease. I have heard that actors/entertainers, may take them for one night every now and then to prevent "stage fright", but this is rediculous. They do not give you a buzz or high, they just keep adrenaline from speeding up your heart. I have had to take them (atenolol) for over two years, and believe you me, you don't want the side affects that come with them. There are many with heart disease that would love to stop them, but for obvious reasons, can't.
The maoi's are the old depression/other mental problem drugs, with nasty side affects.
Ativan is one of the most addictive drugs known to man. Ask someone who works in a drug rehab program, or clinic. Don't ask someone that is taking them.
Are you depressed or shy?
The two conditions are totally different, and not related. If you are depressed, you may not want to talk to, or be around other people, but it's not because you are shy.
Shyness is just a normal part of some people's personality, that can be overcome with practice and/or maturity. You don't need any of these drugs for shyness.
I apologize if I sound like a know-it-all, or preacher. It's just my honest, uneducated opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 06:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

Drugs are a last resort, in my opinion, for emotional and personality change. We can control what we think about, and how we think about things by the exercise or our wills. See the books by Dr. David D. Burns. The research reported there shows that most people do much better with "cognitive therapy" than with drug therapy. In my opinion his book "Feeling Good" is must reading for anyone who is at all depressed or seeking to help others who are depressed.

In my opinion, "Just Say NO!" to drugs. Just say "YES" to taking responsibility for your thoughts, attitudes, and emotions. A lot of us need help with that, which is a large part of the reason why we have family, friends, counselors, and pastors. We also have good things to read that show us how others, by actions of their wills have changed their lives.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
(female)

MaggiesFarm HB User

i disagree with MroWL's opinion... but understand that someone who has NOT dealt with chemical depression would have a difficult time understanding it, and that those people do believe it is "all" in the depressed person's head.

and actually the research shows that people do best with cognitive therapy coupled with drug therapy

Old 09-23-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

I was a shy kid growing up and as an adult i was shy and depressed so now i take xanax and wellbutrin XL. I'm a different person, not shy or depressed.

Good Luck

Old 09-24-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
(female)

VoodooQueen HB User

shyness is very under rated! shyness is one of the things tthat ruined my life. if you're too shy, you just never talk to people, always afraid to look stupid, always afraid to say what you think.

certain things are just taken too lightly and then they wonder why the suicide rate is so damn high! Duh!

VoodooQueen

Old 09-25-2004, 03:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Wink Re: Anyone tried these prescription drugs for depression or shyness

MAOIs should be a final, final resort. There are so many side effects along with forbidden foods, drug interactions, etc.
I've been on Xanax and Klonopin. The Klonopin kind of made me drowsy during the day, but the Xanax worked quickly and left my body quickly, perfect for the panic attacks I had. Also good for sleep; you don't wake up drowsy.
Kristina

Old 09-26-2004, 03:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Is someone actually prescribing these meds for you? Many of these are older therapies, newer (some would say more effective) drugs are available.

Talk to a psychiatrist. They are experts in psychiatric pharmacology.

Good luck.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
(female)

newtome HB User

Dear Music 23, You mention MAOIs as having nasty side affects apart from the food thing. What do you know? I've been desperate for this info for a year! cos my doc seems to think its 'me' but I know its these bloody tablets and cant seem to find ANYONE who's experienced the same! From Newtome.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
(female)

cartjen HB User

Hi
Ativan should never be taken regularly...I take it for anxiety, take one a month or so to make sure I don't get addicted.

I have always suffered from depression and social anxiety/extreme shyness. Celexa helped this immensely. My boyfriend couldn't believe the change within a couple of months. I could actually do small talk,and will actually join a gym and stuff like that. Changed my life.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:18 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

racing flats HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiesFarm
i disagree with MroWL's opinion... but understand that someone who has NOT dealt with chemical depression would have a difficult time understanding it, and that those people do believe it is "all" in the depressed person's head.

and actually the research shows that people do best with cognitive therapy coupled with drug therapy
I agree with your sentiments 100%.

Closed Thread