It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shyness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

US40126 HB User
Is this severe shyness or something else?

Hi all, I'm not sure if i'm suffering from severe shyness or something else. Yes I'm a shy person, but this is severely affecting my life, socially. I always stay in the background, I don't talk much, only when talked to. I can never think of anything to say. Don't get me wrong I am a very friendly, pleasant person. Its just I don't talk much and it's affecting me. I am in a bad relationship right now, we broke up briefly a couple months ago, and I went on a date with a guy I had met. During dinner I barely did any talking. You would think that wiht someone new I would have a ton of stuff to talk about, but I didn't. He even said "wow you don't talk much do you", that made me feel really bad because I know I have a problem. Can anyone advise on what the deal is, is there medication that can help me, should i seek counceling? Thanks in advance.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: US40126
Blackandred (01-18-2012), canadadiva (07-20-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to US40126 For This Useful Post:
Blackandred (02-11-2012)
Old 02-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User
Re: Is this severe shyness or something else?

Hello Amanda. In my opinion, if you have a disorder or just "shyness", counseling can help no matter what. You don't have to have a label to get help.

To me, it could be a lot of things. But if it is affecting your life as such, then it shouldn't just be looked at as "shyness". I have to say that I am just like you. I don't talk a lot...at all almost. I stick with talking to select friends and family only. And when I venture out otherwise I find it difficult to talk and get extremely anxious. Is this the same for you?

Have you ever heard of Selective Mutism? It is an problem in result of Social Anxiety. It's when you only talk to selective people and feel anxious and scared around others. Even though it is more common in children (I have had it since I could talk), it is also seen in adults and adolescents (I still have it, I'm 18).

This is what I figure with the information you gave me. But if you would like, you could look up "Avoidant Personality Disorder" and "Social Anxiety". You might also benefit from talking to your counselor or even primary doctor before you see a psychiatrist for help and information.

Write back if I'm off point, or if you have any feedback of what you researched. Or if you have any questions. Good luck to you.

SGH

Last edited by SuchGreatHeight; 02-24-2006 at 10:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread