It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shyness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

cruzshanna HB User
social anxiety and shyness

I am not sure if I have social anxiety disorder or just extreme shyness, but I feel anxious when talking to people (Especially one-on-one, even my friends, and eye contact feels akward for me). I often avoid situations so that I don't have to talk to people. Group activities in class make me very nervous. Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: social anxiety and shyness

Social anxiety could be called shyness...it's a disorder when it interferes with your quality of life and your ability to work or go to school. If you continue to avoid all situations that make you uncomfortable, that could develop into a problem like a phobia. If I were you, I would start by reading some self-help books on anxiety. You can get them at the library or buy them from a bookstore or the internet. You might get enough info from the books to help you. If not, then I would make an appointment with your family doctor to discuss your options for treatment. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Hi Cruzshanna,

You know - I feel that way at times too, but mostly with friends that I don't see super-often.

I don't remember feeling that way with them back before my anxiety started - but then again, back then we all hung out a lot more often since nobody was married, had kids, etc.

Interesting that you brought this up!! I don't consider myself shy at all, but maybe a little insecure at times (?)

I guess it's natural to feel that way in some situations. Either way - I do like SRMom's suggestion of reading some self-help books. Perhaps a book on boosting self confidence might help too... not insinuating that you are not self confident, but it's something to explore

Old 03-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
(female)

cruzshanna HB User

I have always been very shy. I have always had a big problem making friends - even in elementary school I played by myself during breaks a lot. I feel that I have gotten over a lot of my issues, but still even talking to close friends that I see every day (And roommates) I get very anxious around during conversation.

Closed Thread