It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shyness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
(female)

shane21 HB User
shyness

Can anybody recommend any self-help books or strategies for people who are extremely shy?

Old 11-07-2006, 02:30 AM   #2
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User
Re: shyness

There's this saying that goes, "Feel the fear, but do it anyway". That's really true. you need to confront your fears if you want a happy life. After all, the fittest species survive in this world, like what Darwin's theory goes.

could u give me examples of your shyness?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Jimmy, you sound like you are finding your way very well! Congrats, and you are right about confronting your fears.

Shane, I used to be shy and not because it was genetic or how I was supposed to be. I think it was because I didn't have good social skills and I didn't feel good about myself. I improved my social skills and realized and corrected what I didn't feel good about and now I am fine.

Oh yeah, and I think that not having good boundaries contibuted to it also, because if you cannot protect yourself well with others it causes you to withdraw.

Last edited by Sannah; 11-07-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:36 AM   #4
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User

Sannah - actually i am still working on betting my depression, it's not easy. I get ups and downs some days.

shane21 - I recently read this excellent book - can't remember what it's called, but this author said sometime about depression is related to having "negative thoughts".
In other words, depression = thoughts. If we could understand that it is our thoughts that makes us depress and not our circumstances that make us depress.

I give u an example of mine's: All those years at school, I never been to a swimmimg centre because i was skinny. People teased my body in the past and so never been swimming. as a result, I never learnt to swim, and my body is still skinny than ever. (Negative thoughts / Outcomes)

when I turned 27, I was diagnoised with osteo-arthritis. I wasn't able to walk for about a year. Within that year, I was in complete shock and depressed. Also, within that year, it made me realised that I didn't have any fun memories in my life. all those years I spent feeling sorry for myself and not enjoying a life that was given to me. I told myself if i ever have a second chance in life i would dothings differently.

I was really worried that I would stay like this forever, unable to walk. But thankfully, I can walk again without having an operation. I am starting to incorporate some activities into my life such as swimming and doing push ups every morning, and eating more protein food - hopefully to have a muscular body.

I'm starting to understand what the saying means by, "live your life as if it was your last" ..or whatever...

Old 11-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

toastmasters is really good for that.

Closed Thread