It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shyness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
(male)

Prince1 HB User
what the diffrence between Shyness and Social Anxiety

Since about the age of six i have been a little bit shy but not major, i could handle speaking in front of class and new people, but in the 10th grade ive been felling severly shy but not in all situations. Theres lessons where i can be calm, confident and be myself And other lessons which i am a nervous wreck and embarrised when attention comes to me, and these lessons i worry about 24/7 to the point where i scive days i have them. I just dont get it, im scared of like 50% of people its not right. Theres people i feel so calm around even if i dont know them well and then theres people i feel nervous around get embarresed and avoid. Whats my problem is it severe shyness or SA.
i went to a doctor a while back and he told me to see my school nurse for some calming tips. But ive tried that stuff with no success. because when i get picked on in class theres nothing i can do but panic.

The following user gives a hug of support to Prince1:
jacknscoob (08-04-2011)
Old 11-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
(male)

JB68711 HB User
Re: what the diffrence between Shyness and Social Anxiety

Well I think the big difference between shyness and social anxiety is the severity of anxiety. People who are shy do have social worries, but it's not severe enough to be considered as a disorder.

If you put a shy person and someone who suffers from SA in the same situation, both people would be withdrawn and restrict themselves from interacting. But the feelings of inadequacy, worry, nervousness are more overwhelming for someone with SA. People who are just generally shy are more likely to become comfortable and open up in social situations... while someone with social anxiety will feel like it's impossible for them to do that. To put it shortly, I would say that shyness is sort of a minor fear while social anxiety is a phobia.

Like you said, you were always shy but not major. Well when it becomes major it becomes social anxiety. It's common for someone who has always been shy to develop social anxiety, especially around high school age when there's a lot of pressure and a need to interact more. If you do have SA, I don't think your school nurse could help you much. You should talk to your parents about it and hopefully they can find the help you need. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Hello Prince,

I suffer from extreme social anxiety. When put in a social situation (even with people I know), my heart will race and I constantly review and review over everything I say to make sure I don't say anything wrong. I've even had bouts of anxiety attacks including hyperventilation, heart arrythmias, nausea, and even fainting.

Although my symptoms are severe, milder symptoms can also be Social anxiety...like JB said, the symptoms can vary a lot. What you are talking about sounds a little more like you are having anxiety over the bullying you are facing. You should probably consider speaking to a teacher or principal about the bullying and see what might be able to be done.

Other than that, make sure you talk to your parents, they might be able to help you. Just having someone to talk to can help a lot.

As far as a diagnosis, I am not a doctor, I can only offer you my advice.

Take Care,
-Vers

Old 11-19-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
(male)

808Lion HB User

don't worry about the label... worry about the problems it's causing you...
maybe look into what avenues you have to get help with this problem...
having a professional to talk to... maybe cbt...
explore your options and you should start getting a gauge on what might work for you...

Old 11-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

Also, you are young. I don't know about everyone else, but High School was an experience I wouldn't take back for a million dollars. I hated the clicks and the seperation among classes of people. It was out of hand. It wasn't until college that I really opened up socially and when I did, I did it big time, so don't worry about anxiety now unless it is really cuasing you harm. Being shy can be very normal especially considering you are still in High School. Get some good grades and go to college and then decide whether you have a dissorder or not. LOL. I make it sound so simple, but I know it is a very stressful time for you. Just understand that the people at school will probably not be your best friends for the rest of your life. In fact you may not even keep in touch with most of them. However, in colege you may even meet the woman you marry. You never know. I hope you find your answer.

Closed Thread