It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2001, 02:27 PM   #1

Sniffles HB User
Question Sinus Infection and "Infected" Post Nasal Drip

Three months ago I went to the doctor b/c of a sinus infection and recieved antibiotics and decongestants that helped but it never fully cleared up. It seems as though the infection in the post nasal drip is causing my tonsils to swell up periodically and also has kept the lymph node behind each ear from going back to normal along with making my throat irritated. Has anyone had a problem like this? Or does anyone know if the infection in my sinuses can irritate my tonsils and lymph nodes when the post nasal drip drains in my throat? I haven't had bad sinus infection for several years and I really don't remember what all the symptoms were like. Thanks everybody!

Old 10-10-2001, 07:23 AM   #2

DianeMarie73 HB User
I've had a gew sinus infections and I feel that they never completley go away. I have constant swollen glands that are starting to scare me. I have alot of headaches that I know are sinus and the only thing I acn take that helps is advil cold and sinus but I get sick of taking pills and I get imune to them aftyer a week or so. I also get alot of dizziness too is this all sinus? does antone know? sorry I wasn't much help just wanted to let u know your not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2001, 12:00 PM   #3

Natopheli HB User
Lightbulb

OOOOOOH boy do I ever know about that!! Good lord... I could go on and on for pages about it, but I'll start off by telling you the one thing that has helped me the most with my (chronic)sinus infection: IRRIGATING!! Use about (adjust it so that it doesn't sting or burn) 1/4 teaspoon sea salt(or uniodized salt)to 6oz warm, clean water. Hold one nostril closed while you sniff it up the other side. Spit the water out, close your nose off completely and hold it in for a few seconds, shake your head around...whatever it takes to feel like the water gets all over the place to rinse you out. Then make sure it all runs back out. I lean over for a few seconds and when I stand up loads runs out. It's messy when you first start, but you get the hang of it. I just sniff the water out of a large measuring spoon, but you can buy a Neti Pot or a Grossan Nasal Irrigator.
I've had sinus problems for 15 years and I just started irrigating a little more than a month ago. At my first ENT appointment after starting, I had my first clear xray ever!! I've done some other things like cutting out dairy, adding certain vitamins, etc, but irrigating is the only thing that's given me immediately noticeable results. I got desperate when the antibiotics that I hated taking anyway stopped working. Should have started WAY earlier, but I thought it was too simple an answer to my problems. I'll take a $2 dollar bag of salt over a $150 bottle of antibiotics any day!!
Anyway, I'll stop there before I go overboard as I tend to do!
Good luck to ya
Nat
P.S. Forgot to say..do it once or twice a day for prevention. 3, 4, more..whatever it takes to get rid of an infection. And drink loads and LOADS of water!!

[This message has been edited by Natopheli (edited 10-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by kitaki (edited 06-24-2003).]

Old 10-10-2001, 12:16 PM   #4

Natopheli HB User
What a surprise..I was so into what I was saying that I didn't even answer your questions!! All those symptoms both of you mentioned are normal for chronic sinus infection. Often when a doctor treats you for sinus infection, he/she only gives you a 7-10 day dose. You actually need 2-3 weeks (if they work for you and you don't have to take them several times a year, that is). There isn't a heck of alot of blood circulating to the sinuses so it takes larger doses of drugs to reach the infection. That's why the symptoms feel like they never go away. Because the infection is actually still there just waiting for the next opportunity to flare up. And after several 'unfinished' rounds like this, you end up with antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. Irrigate and hook up with a good ENT with a holistic approach!
Nat-again

The Following User Says Thank You to Natopheli For This Useful Post:
Deshamar (02-15-2012)
Old 10-11-2001, 10:23 AM   #5

Sniffles HB User
Thanks for the replies! I'll have to try some of your suggestions Nat. DianeMarie, whenever my sinuses are really stuffed I get headaches in the front of my head and faceaches over my cheekbones where my sinuses are stuffed up the most. One thing that helped me, happened really on accident, I was so frustrated not being able to breathe throught my nose that I started crying, was finally able to blow my nose, and that helped relieve the pressure for few hours. Silly isn't it!

Old 10-11-2001, 08:04 PM   #6

DianeMarie73 HB User
It's not silly. I thought I was wierd the same thing happened to me I had a bad one that made me cry and it helped the headache (whatever works!)

Old 10-12-2001, 08:30 AM   #7

ukebob HB User
Hello all. I can relate to all of your symptoms, and yes, they are sinus related. Ugh, why did humans have to be created with sinuses! Seems like everything irritates my sinuses these days -- pollen, mold, ragweed, dry air, humid air, smoke, pollution, you name it. I'm beginnig to wonder if my symptoms are mostly allergy related as well. I know this is kind of gross, but I need to ask. Do most of you have a clear discharge from your nose, or is it always darker colored? Mine is almost always clear, so I was wondering if my sinuses were indeed infected, or just blocked up due to allergic reactions. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Also, have all you had these problems for a while, or did you develop them during adulthood? I know mine all started when I hit 31. Thanks again for your responses.

A fellow sinus sufferer

Old 10-17-2001, 10:40 AM   #8

Natopheli HB User
Mine was almost always clear, except during an acute 'flare up'. But there was always infection present, it's just not as easily detectable when it's chronic. Had to have an xray to see it. All this started for me when I was 8. I'm 23 now.

P.S. Sniffles have you tried irrigating yet? I hope it helps you...I guess I should mention, since you're having similar problems, that all the gross tonsil stuff I had going on has stopped since I started irrigating. No more white patches, swelling, or swollen lymph nodes behind the ears.

[This message has been edited by Natopheli (edited 10-17-2001).]

Old 10-29-2001, 06:56 PM   #9

Sniffles HB User
Hey!
This started recently. I'm 21. It really started after I swam for 2 weeks straight. My sinuses (shoot, my whole head) has not been the same since. No Nat, I haven't tried irrigating yet. I'm kind of afraid to since my sinus passages are sensitive and I don't like nosebleeds. Is that a problem with irrigating?? I went back to the doctor a few days ago and he gave me more antibiotics and a different decongestant(Claritin D) and that is working pretty well. I'm still stuffy but at least I don't sound stuffed up and the pressure over my face is gone, except right when I wake up. My lymph nodes have gone down a little but not much and they are not as tender as they were. At least I don't feel sick anymore. I'm going to ask my doctor if he knows anything about irrigating when I go back just to get another opinion. Thanks again guys!!!

Old 10-30-2001, 01:06 PM   #10

Natopheli HB User
Glad you're feeling better No, I don't think there's any problem with getting nose bleeds with irrigating. At least I've never heard/read of it anyway. And as long as the water is clean and you have the right balance of uniodized salt, it shouldn't irritate sensitive sinuses. Mine are incredibly sensitive, too.
When I told my ENT I'd started irrigating, he said "Oh yeah, that's the best thing for it." Agh! Couldn't have told me that before having me take antibiotics for almost a year and a half?? Anyway, good luck on your next visit! (and elevate the head of your bed a little...might make you a bit less stuffed up in the mornings )
Nat

Old 06-22-2003, 09:22 PM   #11

Zangief77 HB User
Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice. Think I'm gonna try the irrigator thingie. Just like y'all, i've had this sinus infection for months. i even quit my job coz i just couldn't talk to my co-workers face-to-face anymore. its really pathetic. nway hope the irrigator works coz i think my meds have already grown immune to the infection.

Old 08-22-2003, 07:07 PM   #12

BritNC HB User
Sniffles, I've had the same for a couple of yrs and had an infections for 10mts. Getting ready for surgery.
For you, irrigation is absolutely essential, but for some people, like me...it can't get into the sinuses. so,if you can, then irrigate. Also essential, drink lots of fluids, rest and know it's not you overreacting or imagining...it's often the docs lack of listening or understanding that leads us to suffer longer than we need to.
Infection can spread, a sinus infection can result in bronchitis and further problems if left untreated. In your case, it's irritating your throat, maybe you have lumps on the back of your tongue from the drainage? You need to determine the cause, environmental, food etc, see an allergist first and then you may need to see an ENT. Oh, as for drainage, it can be clear in some areas of nose and or throat but also have infected drainage in other areas of sinuses. so many people suffer unecessarily due to poor doc guidance. Research on the web and be prepared for when you visit your doc, they don't always know best...you have to be your own advocate when seeking medical help. Be prepared that many docs misunderstand the mind/body connection with illnesses such as this. They say it is triggered or exacerbated by depression, they haven't figured out that this in the chronic cases, and the docs attitude can make you depressed rather than the other way around.
Best of luck!

Old 03-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #13
(female)

dianae HB User
Would love some advice

I'm now into my 5th month of what I think is chronic sinus infection - extreme fatigue,clear post nasal drip, pressure in head, stuffy nose, headache, and occasionally puffy eye lids in the morning. Recently have some ear pressure.

I've tried 7 rounds of antibiotics and feel better when I'm on them - then sure enough, I feel like crap again when I'm finished.

I went to 2 ENT's and they are both flummoxed. - a CAT scan showed no obvious infection!! How can this be? One mentoined that this may actually be migraines - but would migraines cause me to feel this sick for so long?

I've got 2 small kids and can barely take care of them. Any ideas? I'm feeling desperate.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #14

a1nerd HB User
Re: Sinus Infection and "Infected" Post Nasal Drip

You guys are lucky you don't have bad breath with your chronic sinus infection. I have had bb for two years now really bad and responds to nothing.

I am very very very deppressed and i do believe my deppression is making my immune system weak and thats why this thing won't go away.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:39 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Sinus Infection and "Infected" Post Nasal Drip

OMG the lymph node behind my right ears has been enlarged since I was 8 years old. It used to be the size of a large marble, and the doctor was so concerned I was referreed to an oncologist, who after some tests, assured my mother I was fine. He believed it might have become enlarged b/c I caught a case of head lice at summer camp. But I know it is allergy sinus related because after being on allergy shots for a year it shrank down quite a bit. And for a week after my sinus surgey it was almost flat, but has since creeped back to the pea- size it is now. I'm convinced there is a bit of infection up there, that my ENT didn't clean out. Like the others said irrigation is the key.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 03-14-2005 at 01:42 PM.

Closed Thread