It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2003, 07:09 PM   #1

CONCERNED20 HB User
Unhappy Allergies+Sinuses+Crackling Ears+Dizziness

Does anyone know if allergies can cause cracking ears when you swallow? On August 25, 2003 I was diagnosed with allergies to dustmites and pollen. My sinuses were very inflammed which caused a stuffy nose and sinus headaches. I was also very dizzy. I think I have a virus in my inner ear which caused the dizziness. I'vebeen on Flonase for 5 weeks and am starting to feel better but the last two days I've felt terrible. It's like 2 steps forward and 1 step back. I'm kind of motion sick when I read and write. When I drive I feel as if I'm still going over bumps even after the car is stopped. Does anyone know if inflammed sinuses could be the cause of all these symptoms? Especially the motion sickness. Can the virus from the sinuses go into the inner ear causing poor balance. How long will this last? If anyone has been through this please let me know if this will end.

Old 10-10-2003, 04:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User
Yes. They can also be caused by other things too.

Are you taking any medication as well like zyrtec or claritin?

If they did not get you a CT scan I would recommend getting some antibiotics.
Quit smoking June 3 2003
Will be 39 in Feb.
Scared to turn 40

I am a work in progress...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 05:22 AM   #3

CONCERNED20 HB User
Thanks for your reply. Last night I took a Reactine (relief) for 24 hours along with flonase and when I woke up this morning the discharge was yellow in colour. First time in 6 weeks. It was usually clear. What does this mean? Is it bacterial?

Old 10-10-2003, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
YES! Allergies can cause the crackling in your ears when you swallow and the dizziness. I am also having this problem. My ENT said there is nothing I can do to help this, except take allergy medicine. I hope he is wrong and there is something that can be done because this is making both of us feel awful....
I am getting tested for allergies in a couple days, then I'll go from there. Good luck!!

Old 10-10-2003, 08:20 AM   #5

xandrr HB User
I definitely get that cracking/popping in my ears. Another thing to note is be careful if you go on an airplane. My head felt like it was going to explode because of the insane pressure in my ears. Bring gum.

Old 10-10-2003, 03:07 PM   #6

TaniaF HB User
I believe allegies sometimes cause some excess fluid in the inner ear which disturbs our balance. I have had this several times and the fluid was measured with a tympanogram. Antihistamines, nasal spray and AntiVert(for dizziness) was the only meds the dr could offer. It had to run its course.
Tania

Old 10-10-2003, 06:00 PM   #7

CONCERNED20 HB User
Thank you for all your replies. Today I feel much better even after taking the antihistamine for only two days. My ears are crackling much less today than two days ago and the dizziness seems to be going away. TanyaF, I think you are right there must have been fluid in my inner ear because my balance was terrible. Today it seems to be much better. Does being allergic to dust mites mean I have to be on antihistamines forever or just until my sinuses clear up? Does anyone know or has anyone been through this?
TanyaF did you have dizziness or vertigo? I had BPPV also.

Closed Thread