It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2001, 09:07 PM   #1

kristopher HB User
Post natural sinus and allergy remedies?

Hello everyone...usually i post on the allergy and inner ear boards. I have not been that successful in fighting my year round problem. My most dreaded symptom is the reocurring disconnected feeling due to eustachian tube dysfunction. I am currently using olive leaf and quercetin. If anyone has any alternative suggestions i would love to hear them. thanks,

Kristopher

Old 11-10-2001, 10:26 PM   #2
Inactive

BEARALLNTX HB User
Talking

Have you tried Mullein oil or Mullein/garlic oil?
Mullein oil has some great benefits when it comes to ears and Mullein extract (Not For Ears) has great Respiratory benefits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2001, 08:04 AM   #3

kristopher HB User
thank you for your response. I have heard some good things about mullein oil, and now i think i'm going to give it a go. Is there also a mullein/garlic oil or did you mean mullein or garlic oil? My girlfriend is from Austin,TX and she says that area causes great havoc on allergy and sinus troubles. Have you had ear congestion problems living in Texas? Again, thanks for your response.

Old 11-13-2001, 09:44 PM   #4
Inactive

BEARALLNTX HB User
Yes, there is a Mullein and Garlic mixed oil. Unfortunately it has a strong garlic smell, but is also great for ear infections. After using both oil's
I prefer the Mullein oil by it's self for anytime the ears don't feel right.

I have allergies to bee's and hornet, and use a Homemade Mullein extract to avoid costly trips to the hospital.

What kind of allergies does your girlfriend have?
Cedar? There's some great homeopathic remedies that take the bite out of the cedar allergies.

Good Luck!

Old 11-14-2001, 10:50 AM   #5

kristopher HB User
Thanks again for that info. I went to my local herb and health food store and i saw mullein/garlic oil. Also, i saw some ear oil that had those components plus other ingredients. My girlfriend had allergies to cedar, pine and i'm not sure about the others. She feels much better here in Georgia than i do, but she is not completely free of allergy and sinus troubles. There is mostly pine in the area that we live.
I was also wondering if you know how the ear oils work. Can they get behind the drum and work in the eustachian tube? The lady at the herb shop seemed unsure about that question, but she thought that it probably worked there too. Have a nice day and hope to hear from you soon.

Kris

Old 11-18-2001, 09:10 PM   #6
Inactive

BEARALLNTX HB User
I would try it if it was my ears. However, when buying herbs that you want is one thing. I never buy herbs that are fillers for what I want. This means if I'm looking for Mullein, then I buy pure Mullein, not Mullein mixed with herbal fillers. By the way, what fillers did they use in your mix?

Old 11-20-2001, 11:32 AM   #7

kristopher HB User
I decided not to buy the ear oil because i heard that you would practically have to stand on your head for a while just do get the oil through the canal to the eustachian tubes. I am going to try a natural remedy called clear ear. I have it on order right now and i have heard great things about it. I'll keep u posted.

kris

Old 12-04-2001, 09:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

For my ragweed allergies, when I lived in Colorado, I used aloe vera mixed with water (about a 50/50 mixture). I had a constant runny nose that progressed to the point of bleeding. It was bad.

A friend of mine told me about it. He said another doctor mentioned it to him. I tried it and it worked. I also suggested this to a lot of other people, and they were amazed at the result. But this was only for problems with the nose and related sinuses. I'm not familiar with this type of natural treatment for the ear.

The manner in which we used this, was just before you went to sleep, you would lie down on the bed on your back and put a few drops in your nose until it trickled down your throat. Next, the trick was to not blow your nose and sleep this way with the solution running through your sinuses. By morning, my bleeding stopped and eventually I never had as severe of problems with ragweed.

Old 12-04-2001, 07:37 PM   #9

kristopher HB User
hey rhody....i've heard many good things about aloe helping sinus problems. I was at an herb store the other day and i came real close to buying some aloe. Maybe if i can treat the sinus problem starting in the nose maybe that will help with the ear problem.
Did you have a sinus infection when the aloe cleared you out or did u just have a sinus problem? How about the friends of yours that benefited from this natural treatment? Thanks for the suggestion and look foward to hearing back from you.

Kris

Old 12-11-2001, 06:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

Hi Kris,

Sorry, I didn't get back sooner. I just remembered that I had posted something here.

As I wrote, the mixture of Aloe Vera solution with water was excellent for my hayfever conditions, which we suspect was caused by the ragweed in the summer. It cleared up the problem quite fast. I noticed good results by the following day. It wasn't a sinus infection (I don't believe) - just a horrible case of hayfever - sneezing, blowing the nose constantly over and over again. It was really bad.

I have no idea whether it would help an ear problem. As far as I knew at the time, we were all treating our sinuses from the nose, with this Aloe Vera solution. Sometimes ear and nose infections and conditions are interconnected. Is there a doctor that would have some knowledge about this for you? I hope that this helps.

Old 12-27-2001, 07:49 AM   #11

BEACHBOUND8 HB User
I posted this on the other board but it works so well I thought I'd post it here.Stinging nettles and grape seed extract work great for sinus problems, it drains and clears my sinuses very quickly.Two capsules of nettles a day and six grape seed extract for 5 days then cut the grape seed back to two grape seed a day.No side effects.

Old 01-09-2002, 04:11 PM   #12

Toonces HB User
Stinging Nettles are wonderful for allergies. Get the freeze-dried capsules.

For sinus troubles, try rinsing your nasal passages with warm water. I battled terrible sinus problems, and this worked the best for me. Some call it nasal douching.

Old 01-10-2002, 07:27 AM   #13

kristopher HB User
thanks beachbound8 and toonces for your information. I have always heard good things about nettle. I have been using quercetin capsules and vitamin c with some relief, but now i think its time to try some nettle. Is there any particular brand that works better than most others? Also, i'm beginning to believe that my allergy troubles are yeast connected....would nettle still alleviate some of my problem? Thanks again for your responses.

Old 01-11-2002, 10:56 PM   #14

quickiewickie HB User
New to the site but was intrigued with the sinus solutions. I've basically have semi running nose/post nasal drip and it dries my nose out to the point of bleeding. Been looking for a solution. How well do these solutions help in this kind of situation and do they have any side effects with western meds. I'm on a lot of meds for other chronic problems and can't run the risk of a bad mix. I'd appreciate any help in this area.
Shawn

Old 01-12-2002, 06:56 PM   #15

Toonces HB User
quickiewickie-

Stinging Nettles are very safe. Dr. Weil has some good info about them. But they are specifically for allergies.

I would also recommend rinsing your nasal passages. It will take some getting used to, but it really makes a huge difference. Dr. Weil also has info on that.

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 01-13-2002).]

Closed Thread