It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2004, 12:29 PM   #16
(male)

Sebum HB User
Re: New 'upside down sinus flooding' documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
When I first used the "upside down sinus flooding", my sinuses were totally blocked. I stayed down for a long time, perhaps 10-15 minutes, and kept spraying the liquid into my nostrils, hoping that it would seep down into the sinuses.

For people with allergies and/or infections, it is very common for their sinuses to be blocked by either swollen turbinates, or polyps, or both. If you shine a flashlight into your nose, and look in a mirror, there should be a dark, round space going into your nasal passages about the size of your little finger. If there is only a little vertical slit there, then the turbinate(s), that is on the outside wall of your nasal passage(s) is swollen.

If your sinuses are swollen, then you could blow your nose until the cows come home and it would so little good. You need to get the swelling down. To get the swelling down you could take a decongestant or a prescription nasal spray, and you need to stay away from foods and other allergens that cause your sinuses to swell (easier said than done).

In my case, I think that a lot of the swelling and irritation in my sinuses was caused by infection and garbage in my sinuses. Even after a month of "upside down sinus floodings" I was still getting some weird junk out of my sinuses. I no longer get junk out of my sinuses after a flooding.

Mucus is produced both by glands in the sinuses and in the throat. The "upside down sinus flooding" could help cut down on the mucus, if the mucus problem is made worse by infection and garbage. If I was going to do "upside down sinus floodings" in an attempt to rid infection and infectious material from my sinuses, I would also gargle with 3% hydrogen peroxide right after the flooding, in order to try and kill any germs in the throat area also.

Understand that I am not a doctor, only a fellow sufferer. I feel that I have learned quite a bit about the sinuses. In fact, Healthboards has been a great source of information and is an invaluable resource.

I know how frustrating and painful your sinus misery can be. If you can't get relief from your sinus misery, you might have to get allergy tests, allergy shots, acupuncture treatments, and finally find out what allergens are causing your misery and stay away from them.

Does your condition ever get better or worse? Can you relate any activity or eating any food, to making your sinuses worse? It's not easy, because sometimes it takes two or more allergens to cause sinus misery or asthma. Thus..... something that you ate two days ago, could combine with something that you do today, to cause a sinus flareup.

Good luck. Please feedback and let us know how you are doing.
Thanks for the reply. I did what you said with the flashlight and the passages look like wide vertical strips, It looks like they are not completely open though. I'll take a decongestant and try this procedure again. Also, when I've done the irrigation I didn't even use half of the solution I made, nor did I wait for past 5 minutes. It is totally uncomfortable and hurts my stomache/pelvis because my bath tub is so high off the ground. I know you said not to do it on the back, but what if I laid on my back on my bed with my head hanging down from off the bed? Or can I just kneel on the bathroom floor? When I tried this, the peroxide never foamed, nor did I feel the foaming sensation - just the temporary burning.

Back to allergies, I have no idea what allergens act up my sinuses. I don't get sinus pain, my nose just gets stuffy a lot. I'll tell you what though, one day I did a total apple fast and only ate apples and water all day. That next day I felt SO great, my sinuses were still clogged, but my breath was totally normal and fresh until nighttime when it returned.

Thanks so much, you're very helpful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2004, 12:53 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebum
Also, when I've done the irrigation I didn't even use half of the solution I made, nor did I wait for past 5 minutes.
I don't worry about the liquid coming back out of my nose. I just keep spraying it in until it is gone. The longer I stay down, the better chance that the anti-infective liquid will seep deeper into the swollen nasal passages and turbinates and kill infection and infectious material.

Quote:
It is totally uncomfortable and hurts my stomache/pelvis because my bath tub is so high off the ground. I know you said not to do it on the back, but what if I laid on my back on my bed with my head hanging down from off the bed? Or can I just kneel on the bathroom floor? When I tried this, the peroxide never foamed, nor did I feel the foaming sensation - just the temporary burning.
To me the position on the back is more of a risk to get some of the liquid in one's Eustachian Tubes. I'm going to try a new position. I'm just going to bend my head down over the sink and try a sinus flooding. Why not? As long as I can get my head pointed downwards, what is the difference between doing it on the shower floor, or standing up over the sink? I'm going to try it right after I post this. If it works, which it should (isn't rocket science), then I might continue to do it. Gots to try it first.

Quote:
I'll tell you what though, one day I did a total apple fast and only ate apples and water all day. That next day I felt SO great, my sinuses were still clogged, but my breath was totally normal and fresh until nighttime when it returned.

Thanks so much, you're very helpful!
My pleasure. About the apple fast....... Usually an allergic reaction lasts about three days. So, if you had kept up your apple fast for another day or two, your sinuses might have behaved themselves. Part of the cure for allergic sinuses is staying away from foods that inflame the sinuses. You might try a simpler diet for a week or more. Stay away from gravies and sauces because they have many different ingrediants. Stay away from processed foods and lunch meats, because they contain preservatives. Stay away from most salad dressings, because they contain many ingrediants. I have found Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar to be a salad dressing that contains very few ingrediants, and it works for me.

In other words, just for a week (must be more than three days) simplify your diet and see what happens. If it works, then start putting the foods you really like back into your diet until your sinuses stuff up again.

Last edited by Machaon; 08-14-2004 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Flooding seems effective within the nasal passages, not the sinus cavities.

Old 01-13-2004, 03:38 PM   #18
(male)

Sebum HB User

I've tried this again and I think it was a bit more successful. After the 2nd or 3rd squirt, the solution just leaks out of my nose. How long do I have to wait before I refill a nostril?

I'm done for the night, I think I over did it. I'm gonna start another fast, a 3 day lemon water fast, and hopefully be successful and not screw it up. I wont be home much because of play practice, which will be VERY good since I won't be surrounded by temptation. Hopefully this will reduce some mucus in my throat, possibly help alleviate my sinuses, and destroy some toxins.

Also, have you ever heard of garlic for sinuses? It's a great anti-fungual/bacterial/oxidant, I was thinking I'd try taking supplements of it.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 01-13-2004, 04:03 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
How long do I have to wait before I refill a nostril?
I wait for about 20 seconds and then squirt some more.

Quote:
I'm done for the night, I think I over did it. I'm gonna start another fast, a 3 day lemon water fast, and hopefully be successful and not screw it up. I wont be home much because of play practice, which will be VERY good since I won't be surrounded by temptation.
I think that it is important to have a balanced diet of protein, carbohydrates and fat, for well-being and energy. I realize that you want to eliminate as much as possible, but isn't there a way for you to cut back without doing such a drastic diet? Can you do your play practice on just lemon water?

How about adding salads with chicken, to your diet, using Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar? You need to use fresh chicken though, not the processed stuff.

That would keep you away from beef and seafood for three days, just in case you are allergic. With allergies, if you eliminate a few allergic items from your diet, the other allergic items might not be enough to bother your sinuses. How about adding apples? Just don't eat the skin because of possible insecticide residue.

Quote:
Also, have you ever heard of garlic for sinuses? It's a great anti-fungual/bacterial/oxidant, I was thinking I'd try taking supplements of it.

Thanks a bunch!
I know nothing about garlic. I hope you will give more thought to your diet over the next few days.

It really would be great if you were able to find a link between your diet and your sinus misery. Please let us know how you are doing.

Old 01-13-2004, 04:46 PM   #20
(male)

Sebum HB User

I'm not worried about the fasting. I've researched it and it's something I want to do for health reasons. Not that I'm unhealthy or anything, but it will really detoxify my system and I just want to build up my will power and inner strength. Fasting has been around for years for spiritual development, as well as physical. I'm excited about it actually. It shouldn't interfere with play practice, if I'm feeling tired I'll grab a piece of fruit for a little carb kick. I heard water-fasting can give you a huge energy boost, too.

When I get off the fast, I'm gonna try out a diet. I have been bingeing a lot and I haven't really had a diet per se. It's hard for me to eat lunch at school because lunch is at 10am and I eat breakfast at 7:30, and I refuse to buy school lunches anymore. So when I get home, I'm always bingeing on junk, which is what's possibly contributing to my allergies and which is another reason why I wanna fast.

Sorry to get off topic with the fasting issue, but I have a feeling it will help with my sinuses as well. I will also try to log my diet so I can then possibly pinpoint any food allergies if I even have them (which I doubt I do).

The only allergies I can think of are: DUST and MOLD. My room is literally a dust infestation and very humid, which casues mildew in my closets or dark areas. The fact that there is a huge tree that blocks a lot of sunlight doesn't help either. Dusting my room is VERY hard since I have A LOT of crap in my room. I share a room with my brother who is home from college, so my room is super cluttered. Now that I think I about it, I think the dust is the cause of my allergies. I ALWAYS wake up with a -sorry to be graphic- buggery nose lol.

So, should I ask my parents for an air filter? And is there something I can do to keep my room at a correct humidity? I have a de-humidifier, but its very old and it leaks.

I just thought of another possible allergen - my CARPET. It is insanely dirty and stained. It has not been shampooed for years, I know, that's gross. I do sprinkle baking soda on it every time I clean my room though.

Wow, sorry for the huge onslaught of questions and large post. Any help you can offer will be GREATLY appreciated just like the help you've already given me!

EDIT: By the way, I can breathe a lot better through my nose right now. It feels like there is less pressure too!

Last edited by Sebum; 01-13-2004 at 04:47 PM.

Old 01-13-2004, 05:11 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Sorry to get off topic with the fasting issue, but I have a feeling it will help with my sinuses as well. I will also try to log my diet so I can then possibly pinpoint any food allergies if I even have them (which I doubt I do).
Almost everyone has some type of food allergies. Other significant sources of allergens are the pollens and pollutants in the outside air, and the pollutants in the inside air. Do you keep your windows closed at home? How about when you are in a car? I keep my windows closed all the time, except for 30 minutes every other day, when I air my place out. Indoor chemicals build up.

Quote:
The only allergies I can think of are: DUST and MOLD. My room is literally a dust infestation and very humid, which casues mildew in my closets or dark areas.
Dust is one of the worst allegens.

Quote:
The fact that there is a huge tree that blocks a lot of sunlight doesn't help either. Dusting my room is VERY hard since I have A LOT of crap in my room. I share a room with my brother who is home from college, so my room is super cluttered. Now that I think I about it, I think the dust is the cause of my allergies.
I agree. It could be one of your main allergy problems. Dust kills me!

Quote:
So, should I ask my parents for an air filter? And is there something I can do to keep my room at a correct humidity? I have a de-humidifier, but its very old and it leaks.
I know nothing about de-humidifiers. More important than an air filter, would be getting rid of the clutter and dust, IMHO.

Quote:
I just thought of another possible allergen - my CARPET. It is insanely dirty and stained. It has not been shampooed for years, I know, that's gross. I do sprinkle baking soda on it every time I clean my room though.
You are shaking my memory. The number one thing that I did, years back, to improve my asthma and sinus problems was to rip out and throw away my wall to wall carpeting. There is no way to get wall to wall carpetting allergen free, no matter how much you clean it. We now use throw rugs that can be washed in our washing machine.

The second biggest help for my allergies was when I gave away our upholstered furniture and replaced it with leather type furniture.

If that rug is as bad as you say that it is, that could be a huge factor in your sinus problems. As bad as your sinuses are, you probably have multiple allergies. But, I'll bet that if you got rid of the rug, and replaced it with washable throw rugs, and got rid of the clutter and dust, you might find yourself doing much better.

Quote:
By the way, I can breathe a lot better through my nose right now. It feels like there is less pressure too!
Peroxide acts as a decongestant, but it's action doesn't last too long. If it is getting rid of infectious material or infection, then the benefits last a lot longer.

At least you are getting some relief, even if it is only temporary.

That rug of yours has got to go!

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2004, 05:54 PM   #22
(male)

Sebum HB User

I know it has to go, but there is no way my parents will let that happen. It's very hard to get rid of the dust in my room - it just reappears within a day or so. I guess I'll just have to live with it. Maybe if I take some flonase before bed time it will help some?

Old 01-14-2004, 08:04 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sebum, allergies are cumulative. That means that each allergen, for which you have contact, adds to your misery.

Let's say that you are significantly allergic to 20 items. If you come into contact with less than 6 of those allergens, your sinuses might be OK, but if you come into contact with the seventh, BAM! Your sinuses, or asthma, goes nuts.

So....... if you can't do anything about your environment, like your rug, or your dust, then you've got to elliminate other allergens, like food allergens, and inks, and dyes, and chemicals, and outside air.

Some allergens are so powerful, like dust, that just that one allergen can set off an allergic reaction. I am not an expert, just a novice who has learned a lot about my own allergies.

If you can't get rid of the rug in your room, then find a way to get it as clean as possible, and avoid going barefoot.

Best of luck........!

Old 01-14-2004, 10:15 AM   #24
(female)

frosty87 HB User

Sebum,

1st I would say don't sell your parents short sometimes kids think we are much tougher then we are. But if they have reasons for needing that rug there is still stuff you can do. 1st. Do you have all your stuff packed up and put away? No trophys posters dirty clothes hanging around. Did you make your bed today? If not do it every morning then the top blanket/sheet goes on the floor at night-folded- this will keep the dust off your bedding during the day. Wash your sheets at least weekly. Vacuume every day. And who knows if your parents see that your allergies bother you enough to put out this much effort on your part maybe they will reconcider the rug thing and will probably help you get your brother to keep his part of your room clean. A dehumidifier will help filter the air somewhat if it is clean. Have you cleaned the coils? Fighting an allergy like dust is not easy it is work and it is your work.

Old 01-14-2004, 02:31 PM   #25
(male)

Sebum HB User

Thanks for the tip. My allergies aren't as bad as you may think. I just have a snuffy nose a lot of the time and a mucusy throat. Today my nose is runny, it got runny last night after my flooding. My voice is a little nasaly today too, but I don't have a cold, and my voice starting sounding like that after flooding as well. Hopefully it will go away by tomorrow.

I just noticed something... After coming home from practice, my nose got stuffed up and tingly. So the problem must be in my house! What it is? I have NO clue.

Old 01-15-2004, 04:24 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

Last night I did the irrigating again because I had a killer sinus pressure headache and faceache. The mixture just foams up and runs out of my nose. I don't get it. Why isn't it staying down in there? When I try to put more in, it just runs out like it is already full.
After, I blow my nose and so much snot comes out. It is perfectly clear though. I have been very stuffy and runny since I did the irrigating. I always have to blow my nose now. I don't understand. Was all of this stuff sitting in my sinuses and now it is coming out?

Old 01-15-2004, 05:34 AM   #27
(male)

Sebum HB User

That's what happened to me! But I had no foam. I was able to blow my nose and a lot of crap came out. Now I have a cold, which is probably a coincidence. But I had cold-like symptoms after the irrigation, like stuffyness and runny nose. It's worse today, my nose is tingly and I keep sneezing. I still like this method because it does get a lot of crap outta my sinuses, but the solution doesn't sink in my nostrils just like you.

Old 01-15-2004, 07:49 AM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

Sebum
Me too. It's like I have a cold now.

Old 01-15-2004, 08:57 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
My allergies aren't as bad as you may think. I just have a snuffy nose a lot of the time and a mucusy throat.
But..... that is the nature of allergies, either a stuffy nose or asthma. If your stuffy nose effects the quality of your life then your allergies ARE as bad as people think.

Quote:
Today my nose is runny, it got runny last night after my flooding. My voice is a little nasaly today too, but I don't have a cold, and my voice starting sounding like that after flooding as well. Hopefully it will go away by tomorrow.
Peroxide is irritating to the sinuses. What proportions of peroxide, to water, did you use? Often, after flooding, I would feel like a cold was coming on, especially when my sinuses were in worse shape. That cold feeling shouldn't last too long.

Quote:
I just noticed something... After coming home from practice, my nose got stuffed up and tingly. So the problem must be in my house! What it is? I have NO clue.
Ho Ha! Not necessarily. While you are outside, you are getting all kinds of pollens and pollution on your skin, and you are breathing them into your sinuses and lungs. I don't know why or how it happens, but there seems to be a delayed reaction to allergens. Once you come inside, you suffer the full force of those pollens and pollutions on your skin, and those that you breathed in.

Then....... you also come into contact with the dust, molds and indoor gases that are inside your home, and BAM! You suffer an allergic reaction based on multiple allergens.

Last edited by Machaon; 01-15-2004 at 08:59 AM.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyheadmaisy
Last night I did the irrigating again because I had a killer sinus pressure headache and faceache.
Did the flooding help at all with your headaches?

Quote:
The mixture just foams up and runs out of my nose. I don't get it. Why isn't it staying down in there? When I try to put more in, it just runs out like it is already full.
If I had to guess, your sinuses and turbinates are swollen and somewhat closed. The foaming means, to me, that the peroxide is encountering damaged sinus membranes or damaged turbinates, or damaged nasal passages. In order to get more of the anti-infective liquid into your sinuses, the swelling must be reduced.

Quote:
I have been very stuffy and runny since I did the irrigating. I always have to blow my nose now. I don't understand. Was all of this stuff sitting in my sinuses and now it is coming out?
I doubt if most of it was just sitting there. Peroxide is irritating to the sinuses, and your sinuses might be reacting to it. You are the first, that I know of, to have this type of a reaction. Usually the irritation to peroxide doesn't last too long.

It could be that the anti-infective mixture is killing some infectious junk in your sinuses and that your sinuses are slowly coming back to life. Hopefully this will lead to less headaches and more comfortable sinuses, over time.

If you decide to continue the flooding, as the peroxide/baking soda and salt is able to get deeper into your sinuses, it will be interesting if any strange or discolored stuff comes out, and to see if there are any improvements in your headaches or sinuses.

I have no idea how the "upside down sinus flooding" will effect anyone else but myself. For me it has been a miracle. After 30+ years of untreatable infections, I now have my sinus infections under control, so far, without antibiotics. This is huge for me, and I feel a lot better. I've also gotten feedback from people who have gotten significant improvements to their health.

Let's hope that you are also able to benefit! Please keep in touch and feedback.

Closed Thread