It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 09:20 AM   #1

airbaker HB User
sinus problems and dry eye link?

I've copied this from the eye and vision board to see if I could drum up more responses:

This is my first post to the boards; it feels good to know that I'm not alone with my problems.

Over the last 4-5 years I've had problems with red, dry eyes. I usually wake up a few times a night due to the burning sensations. Apon wakening, my eyes are so red that it's embarrassing to go out in public. Unfortunately for years I "corrected" the problem with Visine LR. I thought it was a wonder drug at the time; it really made me put the quest for an answer as to why they were red on hold. A few months ago I read some nasty reports on over-use and addiction to vasoconstrictors, and basically gave up using it cold turkey. I've been using Theratears, Bion Tears, Systane, etc... since giving up Visine. Of course it's done nothing to combat the redness, but it provides a little soothing comfort for a few hours. Does long term use of Visine cause any permanent detrimental effects?

Well, I finally got the courage to see an opthamologist a few weeks ago. He did a complete exam including a Shirmer test, looked at the dispursion of my tear film, tested for glaucoma, etc...and found nothing wrong. In fact, he said my vision is "superhuman" at 20/10. (I was hoping for a quick diagnosis and a magic pill to make my eyes go back to the way they used to be.) Needless to say, I left the office more frustrated than before. He did give me a prescription to Patanol, but said it probably wouldn't do anything since he didn't suspect allergy eyes (neither did I). I've been using it for about 2 weeks and nothing has changed. I asked him about Restasis and he said he didn't think that it would work either as he couldn't diagnose my condition as "dry-eyes". On to my next problem...

Last week I went to an ENT for the first time because of a bad sinus infection. I guess I've gotten used to it, but lately over the last few years when I lie down, one of my nostrils completely plugs up (I sleep mostly on my belly, so the side that's lower usually plugs up) It's never really bothered me because when I wake and stand up, my nose will clear within a few minutes....strange I know. Anyway, my ENT did an exam and thought a CT scan was in order. It turns out I have pretty plugged up sinuses. My "maxillary antra bilaterally demonstrate inferior mucoperiosteal thickening", I have "Bilateral Haller air cells", "nasal septal deviation" and "left infundibular and ostia narrowing". He suspected that I've been battling a low-grade sinus infection for years and suggested F.E.S.S. sinus surgery to correct the problems I asked him if he thought my sinus problems are the cause of, or contribute to my eye problems. He said it was a distinct possiblity.

So my question to anyone is: have you ever had eye problems associated with sinus disorders? If you've had the sinus surgery, did it help with any eye problems?

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks

PS How do you all feel about Restasis? any side effects?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: sinus problems and dry eye link?

I have sinus problems, and I also have an eye condition known as Blepharitis, which is a glandular disorder of the eyes. It sounds more serious than it is -basically my lids are almost always red and somewhat irritated, and I can get styes if I don't use scrubs. But like you, I also have dry eyes, and I frequently have to dig stuff out of them -lashes, dirst, etc. Your disorder may not be dry eyes at all -might just be allergies.

Before going in for a F.E.S.S., you may want to consider sinus irrigation. Check some of the other posts here, or purchase a machine ($150). I use mine nightly, and it has helped a lot.

Old 04-07-2004, 02:34 PM   #3

Murphy HB User

Airbaker, Found your post & want to know if U had surgery & outcome? Everyone talks
watery-itchy eyes w/ allergies. I've had 4 maxillary surgeries due to ENT neglect.
Guess not one of 10 ENT's could read a MRI or CT! I forced endo-surgery & pathology
came back infection, tumor, cancer. I'm better now but fighting all over again. I'm
neg. on allergies. I get chronic head/sinus inflamm. w/ dry burning eyes & swollen
lids till I `walk-it-off'. Drainage burns throat. Wake w/ wet popping ears. Don't have
dry-eye-syndrom or nose-drip. Worse w/ antihistamines? Can U have allergies w/o
watery eye & nose? I had many of your problems. Anyone relate to `not watery'?
Eye doc suggested tear-plugs @ 1st but then said it would just mask the underlying.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
(female)

slpagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbaker
I've copied this from the eye and vision board to see if I could drum up more responses:

This is my first post to the boards; it feels good to know that I'm not alone with my problems.

Over the last 4-5 years I've had problems with red, dry eyes. I usually wake up a few times a night due to the burning sensations. Apon wakening, my eyes are so red that it's embarrassing to go out in public. Unfortunately for years I "corrected" the problem with Visine LR. I thought it was a wonder drug at the time; it really made me put the quest for an answer as to why they were red on hold. A few months ago I read some nasty reports on over-use and addiction to vasoconstrictors, and basically gave up using it cold turkey. I've been using Theratears, Bion Tears, Systane, etc... since giving up Visine. Of course it's done nothing to combat the redness, but it provides a little soothing comfort for a few hours. Does long term use of Visine cause any permanent detrimental effects?

Well, I finally got the courage to see an opthamologist a few weeks ago. He did a complete exam including a Shirmer test, looked at the dispursion of my tear film, tested for glaucoma, etc...and found nothing wrong. In fact, he said my vision is "superhuman" at 20/10. (I was hoping for a quick diagnosis and a magic pill to make my eyes go back to the way they used to be.) Needless to say, I left the office more frustrated than before. He did give me a prescription to Patanol, but said it probably wouldn't do anything since he didn't suspect allergy eyes (neither did I). I've been using it for about 2 weeks and nothing has changed. I asked him about Restasis and he said he didn't think that it would work either as he couldn't diagnose my condition as "dry-eyes". On to my next problem...

Last week I went to an ENT for the first time because of a bad sinus infection. I guess I've gotten used to it, but lately over the last few years when I lie down, one of my nostrils completely plugs up (I sleep mostly on my belly, so the side that's lower usually plugs up) It's never really bothered me because when I wake and stand up, my nose will clear within a few minutes....strange I know. Anyway, my ENT did an exam and thought a CT scan was in order. It turns out I have pretty plugged up sinuses. My "maxillary antra bilaterally demonstrate inferior mucoperiosteal thickening", I have "Bilateral Haller air cells", "nasal septal deviation" and "left infundibular and ostia narrowing". He suspected that I've been battling a low-grade sinus infection for years and suggested F.E.S.S. sinus surgery to correct the problems I asked him if he thought my sinus problems are the cause of, or contribute to my eye problems. He said it was a distinct possiblity.

So my question to anyone is: have you ever had eye problems associated with sinus disorders? If you've had the sinus surgery, did it help with any eye problems?

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks

PS How do you all feel about Restasis? any side effects?
Hello,

For the past 8 months, I have battled terrible sinusitis. After visiting doctors and doing research on the Internet, I realized allergies are the culprit. After using a air purifier, I felt 50% better... but like you, my eyes were constantly burning and dry. I saw an opthamologist, who prescribed patonol (spelling is probably wrong) allergy eye drops. It did not help much... then I read overuse of allergy meds can dry the eyes out even more. I felt at a loss. Is searched the Internet up and down, and came across a website for theralife eye herbs. I was desparate and ordered a bottle. It helped significantly, though not entirely, after a few weeks of taking them. I'm not telling you this is the answer for you, but it helped for me, and I don't worry so much about my eyes anymore. It's not a cure all, because I still need to put in artificial tears when my allergies get really bad. Theralife is kind of expensive though. Anyway, thought I'd share that, as an option.

Closed Thread