It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Sinus dizziness not going away!!

Ok, I have bad allergies and am always dealing w/sinus infections, etc..

Right before Christmas a dust storm came up from the south from where I live and my Zyrtec failed. I had a bad allergy attack and by the next day i had runny nose. A week later it turned green which led me to believe i had a sinus infection. Went to see my ENT and he put me on antibotics. It helped a little bit when I was finshed my nose was still shooting out green and i was still very runny and congested. About a week later the green was still there, but my head became heavy and my nose was no longer running as bad as it had. However, i was very dizzy/loopy/ my head felt heavy/ and my sinus's felt dry. I called my ENT and he put me on a steroid and that didn't seem to help so he added Augmentin to fight off this sinus infection that wil not go away. So, it has been 3 days since i started the Augmentin and it seems that the actual infection is gone as there is no more green coming out of my sinus passages at all, thankfully. However, I'm still super dizzy. The only way I get relief from my dizziness is if i blow my nose every couple of minutes. Nothing really comes out as my sinus passages feel so dry, but heavy. I have been using saline to try and add moisture and it really doesn't help. I've put hot towels on my face and nothing. I am still taking my Zyrtec, sometimes a decongestant when i think they may help and most of the time they make me ever more dizzy. I have about a week left on my Augmentin and plan to call ENT tomorrow to talk about getting a CT scan. My nose feels so tight/painful. I have no idea what is going on and why this is happening. I need relief as this dizziness is killing me. ANy ideas on what I should do? I'm at a total loss on how to release this dizziness from my head/sinus passages!

Thanks, Halls

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 03:01 AM   #2

star803 HB User
Re: Sinus dizziness not going away!!

Just an idea but sinus infections can result in fluid being caught in the eustacian tubes which definately causes dizziness.

If this is the cause your ENT should be able to see it. This usually goes away on its own after a while. There are a few over the counter medications which help it clear.

Just an idea!

Old 01-26-2004, 08:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by star803
Just an idea but sinus infections can result in fluid being caught in the eustacian tubes which definately causes dizziness.

If this is the cause your ENT should be able to see it. This usually goes away on its own after a while. There are a few over the counter medications which help it clear.

Just an idea!

Ok, so today I decided that I would try something different and I didn't take my NasacortAQ. IN the past this causes me dizziness so i thought maybe this might be making things worse. I also used a humidifier last night, but i don't think that is what helped me. ANyhow, the dizziness is better today. It is still there, but not near as bad. I've still got 9 days of antibiotics to go so i think i'll wait and see if the dizziness goes away completely. I just don't understand why the NasacortAQ makes me dizzy or dizzier? Hopefully this will go away so that I won't have to have the CTscan.

Halls

Old 01-26-2004, 08:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls
Ok, so today I decided that I would try something different and I didn't take my NasacortAQ. IN the past this causes me dizziness so i thought maybe this might be making things worse. I also used a humidifier last night, but i don't think that is what helped me. ANyhow, the dizziness is better today. It is still there, but not near as bad. I've still got 9 days of antibiotics to go so i think i'll wait and see if the dizziness goes away completely. I just don't understand why the NasacortAQ makes me dizzy or dizzier? Hopefully this will go away so that I won't have to have the CTscan.

Halls
AH, what is the over the counter medicine that helps?

Halls

Old 01-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

Don't worry, you're not alone. I've been going through literally the exact same thing.

My sinus problems started in early December, and at first, it seemed like an inner ear problem. Dizziness, lightheadedness, tired, spaced-out. I would look in the mirror and my eyes were dialated and glassy. A couple weeks later, the sinuses started acting up. Nasal congestion, asthamtic symptoms, mild headaches.

The dizziness became less apparent, and basically turned into a kind of chronic lightheadedness. Some days it is better than others. I'm massively congested -my sinus cavities feel like they are full of gunk. Last week I went on Levaquin after my nasal discharge turned yellow.

The dizziness is a symptom of both sinusitis and possibly allergic rhinitis. I'm sure it has to do with the Eustachian Tubes getting blocked. I'm waiting for my CT scan results.

Try the following to alleviate some of your problems...

1. Ditch the Zyrtec. Antihistamines help allergic rhinitis, bu they make sinusitis worse by drying up nasal passages and thickening obstructive mucus.
2. Start irrigating your sinuses, either by using a machine, or beerzoid's method (see below). Do this 2-3 times a day at least. Be careful with hydrogen peroxide -you may want to use Alkalol, baking soda, & sea salt initially. Then, if yellow or green gunk starts showing up, add 3ml of hydrogen peroxide.
3. Drink 8-12 glasses of water a day -it helps loosen mucus.
4. Get some saline nasal spray, and use it 10 times a day.
5. Do NOT drink alcohol -you will make your condition worse. Same goes for smoking. I haven't had a drink in 2 months.
6. Use only a steroid nasal spray -not an antihistamine like Astelin. Nasocort is o.k., but it thins the lining of the nose, and I've had problems with bloody discharge from overuse. I find that it doesn't do much for me.
7. Keep using the heating pads.
8. Running can help clear the head -but only go a couple miles.

----------------

Medications have done virtually nothing for me. Antiobiotics, when taken orally, have a difficult time penetrating the sinuses. Decongestants make me tired and groggy. There are other treament options, such as antiobiotic sprays and nebulizers. Worst case scenario means a FESS (frontal endoscoipic sinus surgery). I might be headed that way if things don't improve soon. I'll let you know what I find. Until then, check out [url]www.sinucare.com[/url]

Old 01-26-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins1066
Don't worry, you're not alone. I've been going through literally the exact same thing.

My sinus problems started in early December, and at first, it seemed like an inner ear problem. Dizziness, lightheadedness, tired, spaced-out. I would look in the mirror and my eyes were dialated and glassy. A couple weeks later, the sinuses started acting up. Nasal congestion, asthamtic symptoms, mild headaches.

The dizziness became less apparent, and basically turned into a kind of chronic lightheadedness. Some days it is better than others. I'm massively congested -my sinus cavities feel like they are full of gunk. Last week I went on Levaquin after my nasal discharge turned yellow.

The dizziness is a symptom of both sinusitis and possibly allergic rhinitis. I'm sure it has to do with the Eustachian Tubes getting blocked. I'm waiting for my CT scan results.

Try the following to alleviate some of your problems...

1. Ditch the Zyrtec. Antihistamines help allergic rhinitis, bu they make sinusitis worse by drying up nasal passages and thickening obstructive mucus.
2. Start irrigating your sinuses, either by using a machine, or beerzoid's method (see below). Do this 2-3 times a day at least. Be careful with hydrogen peroxide -you may want to use Alkalol, baking soda, & sea salt initially. Then, if yellow or green gunk starts showing up, add 3ml of hydrogen peroxide.
3. Drink 8-12 glasses of water a day -it helps loosen mucus.
4. Get some saline nasal spray, and use it 10 times a day.
5. Do NOT drink alcohol -you will make your condition worse. Same goes for smoking. I haven't had a drink in 2 months.
6. Use only a steroid nasal spray -not an antihistamine like Astelin. Nasocort is o.k., but it thins the lining of the nose, and I've had problems with bloody discharge from overuse. I find that it doesn't do much for me.
7. Keep using the heating pads.
8. Running can help clear the head -but only go a couple miles.

----------------

Medications have done virtually nothing for me. Antiobiotics, when taken orally, have a difficult time penetrating the sinuses. Decongestants make me tired and groggy. There are other treament options, such as antiobiotic sprays and nebulizers. Worst case scenario means a FESS (frontal endoscoipic sinus surgery). I might be headed that way if things don't improve soon. I'll let you know what I find. Until then, check out [url]www.sinucare.com[/url]

WOW, ditch the Zyrtec! I have been thinking the same thing. My guess is that when i need it for regular allergy relief it is good, but not when I'm trying to get this sinus infection outof my sinus's. My nose seems so dry and the relief would be nice and if the Zrytec is making it worse than I will stop it for now.

Nasacort really doesn't do anything for me, but make me more dizzy.

I saline my nose a lot w/a saline mist a lot during the say and drink lots of water, but i will do more.

I noticed today that my nose is hurting really bad. Right inbetween my eyes I feel so much pressure and pain.

Decongestants do nothing for me as well other than make me more loopy and dizzy.

I just want this dizziness to go away. That is the worst!

Hopefully my ENT can figure out what to do about me cause this is debilitating beyond what i can handle.

Old 01-26-2004, 12:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

Got my CT results!!!

Here is the skinny. Bacterial infection of the Ethmoid, Spenoid, and Maxillary sinuses. The Ethmoid sinuses are above the eyes, and the Spenoid are next to them, between the eye and ear. Inflammation here can cause headaches, mild dizziness (lightheadedness), nasal congestion (high up), and even vision disturbances (which I have -mostly cloudy vision, or double vision).

The Doc is putting me on Prednisone, and I will continue taking Levaquin -and then hope for the best.

so don't panic. most likely, you have something similar to what I do. When I was dizzy, I was like "what the hell is wrong with me?"

Old 01-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Quote:
Got my CT results!!!

Here is the skinny. Bacterial infection of the Ethmoid, Spenoid, and Maxillary sinuses. The Ethmoid sinuses are above the eyes, and the Spenoid are next to them, between the eye and ear. Inflammation here can cause headaches, mild dizziness (lightheadedness), nasal congestion (high up), and even vision disturbances (which I have -mostly cloudy vision, or double vision).

The Doc is putting me on Prednisone, and I will continue taking Levaquin -and then hope for the best.

so don't panic. most likely, you have something similar to what I do. When I was dizzy, I was like "what the hell is wrong with me?"

Yeah, but i was already put on the Prednisone and it did nothing for me. I am on Amoxillcilan(sp) right now and it is helping the green stuff go away, but the dizziness is still there.

How long did you have to wait till you got the CT results back in? They are scheduling me today and I'll find out when i take my test later and hopefully it will be tomorrow. I can't take anymore of this dizziness.

Glad you have a resolve, and i hope you get better.

Halls

Old 01-26-2004, 05:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

It took only a few days to get the results.

I'm hoping to have some luck with the prednisone, but I know I might have an uphill battle.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Quote:
It took only a few days to get the results.

I'm hoping to have some luck with the prednisone, but I know I might have an uphill battle.
Yeah, the Prednisone did nothing for me, but I really hope it works for you. I see my Dr. in the morning and he is going to do a X-Ray and he says hopefully he can find out what is wrong w/out doing the CTscan, but if he can't than I'm off to do the CTscan. Wish he'd just let me get it over with so we can know for sure.

Let me know how the steroid is doing for you. I'll come back here tomorrow and post what happend at the ENT.

Halls

Old 01-26-2004, 06:12 PM   #11

mary b. HB User

Hi, I had this problem too after many sinus infections. Really scary. I started taking over the counter Meclizine 25 mg up to 3 times a day. It made me very sleepy at first but my body adjusted to it. It is not the same as dramamine. Ask the pharmacist specifically for the Meclizine. Perscription is sometimes called Antivert. It works really well. Then my body adapts and I won't need it for a long time as long as my allergies are under control.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary b.
Hi, I had this problem too after many sinus infections. Really scary. I started taking over the counter Meclizine 25 mg up to 3 times a day. It made me very sleepy at first but my body adjusted to it. It is not the same as dramamine. Ask the pharmacist specifically for the Meclizine. Perscription is sometimes called Antivert. It works really well. Then my body adapts and I won't need it for a long time as long as my allergies are under control.
Ok, saw my ENT this morning and he has scheduled at CTscan for a couple of days from now. Stinks I have to wait that long, but nothing i could do about it. However, he is putting me back on another round of steroids(Predinsone) and he thinks maybe another round will help. I hate steroids!!

He thinks being off the Zyrtec will help me and the fact that now that the sinus infection is gone he thinks the steroid should work this time. We'll see.

It is funny and strange that these dizziness always comes around the time i have a sinus infection. I guess I just need to prevent these sinus infections more and hopefully i won't get these dizzy spells.

I am feeling a bit better today being off Zyrtec and hopefully my head will loosen up and whatever is causing this dizziness will come out.

Oh, my ENT also recommended the Meclizine and I think i will try it tonight and see how it works. Anything to get rid of this dizziness!

Halls

Old 01-27-2004, 12:49 PM   #13

dagmarharris HB User

Chiggins 1066 wrote:
Medications have done virtually nothing for me. Antiobiotics, when taken orally, have a difficult time penetrating the sinuses. Decongestants make me tired and groggy....

dagmar writes....my post:
Does waking up with postnasal (yellow spitting up)...
then clear.....mean any sign of sinus infection? I had dizziness, for awhile too, but I think it was mostly my neck out of alignment. Feels better today,
How do you really diagnose a sinus infection, vs. allergies? Is the dr. the only one who can tell?
~dagmar
p.s. does Claritin cause dizziness I wonder, sometimes too? I feel like it might.

Old 01-27-2004, 06:44 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarharris
Chiggins 1066 wrote:
Medications have done virtually nothing for me. Antiobiotics, when taken orally, have a difficult time penetrating the sinuses. Decongestants make me tired and groggy....

dagmar writes....my post:
Does waking up with postnasal (yellow spitting up)...
then clear.....mean any sign of sinus infection? I had dizziness, for awhile too, but I think it was mostly my neck out of alignment. Feels better today,
How do you really diagnose a sinus infection, vs. allergies? Is the dr. the only one who can tell?
~dagmar
p.s. does Claritin cause dizziness I wonder, sometimes too? I feel like it might.
Well, my dizziness is better today. Not a lot, but a little. To be honest I think when you get a good night sleep it helps w/the dizziness some. Hopefully because the dizziness is better today means I'm getting better.

Halls

Old 01-28-2004, 06:50 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

When I woke up in the morning, I had yellow nasal discharge. Later in the day, this was usually clear.

YES, you have a sinus infection. The minute it turns yellow, you need to go get some antibiotics.

I've been on Levaquin for 7 days now, and Prednisone for 2 1/2. There has been significant improval, but I'm not out of the woods yet. The dizziness and lightheadedness are virtually gone, but some head pressure still remains. I'm at about 80-85%. This time last week, I was a total wreck.

Decongestants and antihistmamines do nothing (at least for me). they are a total waste of time, and simply make you tired. The sinuses are inflammed by impacted bacteria, and it takes powerful drugs (and hopefully not surgery or IV antibiotics) to get rid of it.

Irrigation was great for the nasal discharge. In the morning, I would blast that crap out of my nose, so bacteria didn't just sit in there all day and fester. I'm also using Sinofresh as a backup, and lots of saline nasal spray.

Closed Thread