It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Why see a Dr. for a sinus infection?

I have heard that sinus infections are so hard to treat that one can be on an antibiotic for a couple of months easy because these infections are so hard to treat IF they can even be treated! So, what the point in going to Dr.s and taking all this medication that may or may not work? Does anyone know of any home remedies that can help a sinus infection?

Old 04-05-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Unhappy Re: Why see a Dr. for a sinus infection?

Antibiotics do a pretty lousy job of treating sinus infections. I've been on 2 rounds this year alone (Levaquin & Avelox).

If sinus problems are the result of an obstruction or physical defect (deviated septum, bone spur, polyp, etc.), surgery is required to correct the problem. Most sinus problems fall into this catagory, and virtually all "chronic" problems have an obstruction componant.

Home remedies include irrigation and steam masks, but if your problem is chronic, you are looking at surgery.

I've had some nasty side-effects from Avelox, including muscular pain and carpal tunnel syndrome (which I hope will go away).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Re: Why see a Dr. for a sinus infection?

Well, I just had the surgery to fix my sinus problems and they are worse now than I had them before. I have a bad sinus infection and am on Ceftin and it is doing nothing. I have about another week to go on it and if it doesn't cure it than I'm going to let my immune system try and do the job. Irrigate, hot steam over the face are really good for the sinus's. To be honest with you I wish that I had let my immune system heal my first sinus infection instead of reaching for antibiotics cause I may be in better shape than I am now.

Hope it gets better.

Halls

Old 04-05-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

Hey Halls,

what part of the country do you live in? I'm in Chicago, and the weather gives me big sinus problems. I would attribute 75% of my problems to cold, dry weather, which dries out the sinus cavities, leaving them prone to infection, not to mention all the pollution and people sneezing on me in the subway.

I NEVER get colds in the Summer, or in a tropical climate.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

I live in Dallas, Tx. I really don't know why i have more sinus problems down here, but it stinks.

I just got back from getting my MRI done and the tech showed me my scans and you could see my sinus passages were totally infected. he even acknowledged how infected they looked. Pretty sad!!

I get the results tomorrow and hopefully that is all that is wrong w/me from the MRI's view. I am miserable. Suppose to go on a trip to Arkansas on Thursday for Easter weekend and starting to think it isin't going to happen. My kids will not understand.

Halls

Old 04-05-2004, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins1066
Hey Halls,

what part of the country do you live in? I'm in Chicago, and the weather gives me big sinus problems. I would attribute 75% of my problems to cold, dry weather, which dries out the sinus cavities, leaving them prone to infection, not to mention all the pollution and people sneezing on me in the subway.

I NEVER get colds in the Summer, or in a tropical climate.
Chiggins did you ever hear that Chicago is supposedly the #3 city in the nation for emergency room visits for asthma attacks..I heard it was like 70k per year. That's a scarily high number, it's higher than almost all the other major cities in the US. And the reason? Extremely high levels of mercury in the air! Doesn't that make you love Chicago even more! haha.. I know I say asthma but it's all respiratory system problems..so..I can't wait to move(i'm moving in 2 years to somewhere where there is no winter!)!
It kind of makes me angry knowing we can't really control the fact that our air quality is so bad..and it causes everyone all these problems..yet we'll never be able to be completely better..anyways..just thought i'd share..

Old 04-05-2004, 07:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

I just don't understand why antibiotics don't seem to help. I was hoping someone was into the Eastern medicine and could give us all that suffer with allergies/sinus/asthma some advice as to what we could do other than the antibiotics. If anyone knows somewhere that's a good place to live to where maybe the allergies won't act up so much. Hope everyone feels better!!!

Old 04-05-2004, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
I just don't understand why antibiotics don't seem to help. I was hoping someone was into the Eastern medicine and could give us all that suffer with allergies/sinus/asthma some advice as to what we could do other than the antibiotics. If anyone knows somewhere that's a good place to live to where maybe the allergies won't act up so much. Hope everyone feels better!!!
Hmm I can give some insight from middle eastern medicine on sinusitis.
OK to give a little background on middle eastern medicine..it's beleived people came from water/clay. Some people are more "watery & cold" than others, meaning they have lots of allergy problems, mucuos problems, acid reflux, you get the ideas. These "watery cold" people benefit from warm, dry climates, warm beverages(no cold drinks, just warmed stuff), warm, dry food(no ice cream, yogurt, cold foods..you get the idea hehe, more stuff like garlic, onions, warmed, dry, spicier foods).
I've had sinus problems for about 2 years now & with all my problems I think i've taken about 5 rounds of antibiotics for various things, also 2 prednisone bursts for my asthma..and none have had any effect whatsoever on my sinusitis. I've given up, now when the doctor asks if I have any congestion or runny now I say yeah..the usual...lol..
But yeah there are several herbs that help inflammatory issues, fish oils(omega 3 aminoacids), to name one I can't think of any others off the top of my head..do a search on them..also I hear accupuncture has great results for inflammatory conditions!
Hope you find relief soon!

Old 04-06-2004, 01:11 PM   #9
Inactive

david23m HB User

can repeated sinus irrigation with warm salt water eventualy heal the sinuses? I was also wondering if anyone has really bad breath. My breath is so bad nothing helps it. In the morning its so bad my whole house stinks.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:30 PM   #10
(female)

Danitom HB User

hmmmm...........I seem to be the minority when I say antibiotics DID help my son with his sinus infections. He had to stay on the antibiotics for a long time but he was having CT scans to monitor his sinus cavities until he was CLEAR. Since his doctor did that he has been MUCH better. He also got migraines and even they have subsided ALOT! He also uses Nasocort and zyrtec(not yer round-just in the spring)

and as far as climate.......we live in Alabama and virtually have little or no winter and sinus problems are still high here.

You said Chicago was #3 for ER visits due to asthma. Do you know what were #'s 1 and 2?

Old 04-07-2004, 12:39 PM   #11
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danitom
hmmmm...........I seem to be the minority when I say antibiotics DID help my son with his sinus infections. He had to stay on the antibiotics for a long time but he was having CT scans to monitor his sinus cavities until he was CLEAR. Since his doctor did that he has been MUCH better. He also got migraines and even they have subsided ALOT! He also uses Nasocort and zyrtec(not yer round-just in the spring)

and as far as climate.......we live in Alabama and virtually have little or no winter and sinus problems are still high here.

You said Chicago was #3 for ER visits due to asthma. Do you know what were #'s 1 and 2?
New York & LA of course..you ever been 2 LA? You look the sky & you swear it's about 2 rain but it's just the smog & polllution..it's horrible! But the climate is very nice unfortnately it's being thrown away by all that pollution.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:24 PM   #12
Inactive

AliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB User

It seems that I have heard that some sinus infections can be a yeast infection. If that were the case, antibiotics would be of little use. I think I will need to check with my ENT at my next appointment. The last time I saw the doctor he said I still had pus oozing from a spot in my one sinus and put me on a two week course of antibiotic. It seems to me that it is getting worse instead of better even while I was still on the antibiotics. I have an MRI scheduled in about a week.

alice

Old 04-11-2004, 12:05 AM   #13
Inactive

david23m HB User

I was wondering you said the infection felt worse while on the antibotiotic, Did it help towards the end of the course of the antibiotic? How long have you had your sinus infection for?

Closed Thread