It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2004, 11:01 PM   #1

golsoam HB User
Exclamation new to board, trying to get my sinus cavities to drain....please HELP ME!!!

I am so miserable and dizzy!!! I am on Singulair and Zyrtec D which I take daily. Right now though I am so dizzy and I am sure it's all the congestion in my sinus cavities. How do you make the mucus drain though? Sorry so gross, but I don't know how else to explain it. Thanks for any and all suggestions!!! I feel so alone sometimes because it seems like everyone else just gets sneezy and runny noses, am I the only one who gets this dizzy???? Thanks so much!

Old 06-01-2004, 07:22 AM   #2

sobear33 HB User
Angry Re: new to board, trying to get my sinus cavities to drain....please HELP ME!!!

I get the dizziness too. Drives me crazy, I am always stuffy and this time of year I get off balance. I have been to 3 ENT's and 3 allergist. I take Allegra D and flonase and get allergy shots. I am just trying to hang in there, Sorry I dont know anything better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2004, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran

reader1 HB User
Re: new to board, trying to get my sinus cavities to drain....please HELP ME!!!

I am not familiar with how much decongestent is in Zyrtec-D. I would talk to your doctor. When I am that congested, instead of Claritin-D I take something called Rescon MX. It is available by prescription and there is a generic available. Rescon has a little bit of antihistamine, but it has a LOT of sudafed and an anticholinergic, which helps control mucus. My doctor says I can take plain claritin on top of it if I have to. Antihistamines, however, can stop you from draining the stuff out, though. I would also ask your doctor about flonase or rhinocort, to try to prevent inflammation in your sinuses, which can trap mucus. I hope you feel better soon!

Old 06-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #4

angel333 HB User

Some medications dry it up and it stays in your sinus passages. You can use something called a neti pot that flushes the sinuses with a saline solution, or get a natural antihistimine, called quercetin, that will not make you drowsy like some of the over-the-counter ones do.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:06 PM   #5

golsoam HB User

Thanks to all of you who replied, it helps to know I am not alone and there are others just as frustrated as I am. I got my allergy shots today and told the allergist how sick I had been. She scheduled me for a CT Scan Thursday morning, so I will update you all then on the news. Thanks again and I hope all of you feel better too!!!
God Bless!

Old 06-02-2004, 06:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I also have the dizziness. It drives me crazy. I am fine one minute and then the next the dizziness pops up. I notice, at the time of the dizziness, my ears feel congested. Is that how you feel? I have had my ears checked and nothing appears to be abnormal. However, I searched the web last year and found a site that explains Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. I am heading in that direction for an explaination of what is wrong.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:48 AM   #7

Karber HB User

this is so difficult for me too. I gave up on Western medicine, it didn't work for me. I use Chinese herbal medicine, I go to a highly qualified trained herbalist who gives me a prescription for a number of herbs which I cook up and drink. I have to do this everyday.
Acupuncture helps. Steam, you can buy a steam inhaler at a big drugstore. But a few drops of eucalyptus oil in some olive oil and massage your face.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:03 AM   #8

sobear33 HB User

I also have the ear fullness feeling, I have been to all kind of doctors and nothing has worked. I get all kinds of inflammation going on in my head which screws with everything, but when it gets bad, I am off balance and dizzy and pressure in the ears. There is nothing else I can do but wait till allergy shots work better, They say it can be a long process. I take allegra D and flonase also.
Good luck all, Hang in there. Stay out of the windy days and wear a mask when needed outside. It helps some.
Sobear

Old 06-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

carrielynn HB User

Here are some things that I do, but I am always looking for other alternative things to help.

I have a neti pot which I use whenever I start feeling congested or if I get an allergy sore throat. I think I successfully avoided a full-blown sinus infection this past January because I started using that when my allergies flared up big time. I have to say that I was scared to death to use this thing the first time, but it's really not a big deal. My husband thinks it's scary and won't try it-- he's a big weenie.

Secondly, I get cranio-sacral massage from time-to-time. The therapist GENTLY manipulates bones in your head and I've found that it helps my sinuses drain.

--CarrieLynn

Old 06-04-2004, 09:59 PM   #10

golsoam HB User

YES! that is exactly what i was told i have. i had a tube put in one ear but the ENT that did it shouldn't even be a doctor, so i am not sure that was the right route to take and i am not sure why he didn't put on in BOTH ears! anyway, i am having a ct scan done in one week, so maybe i will find out something. i have also been to a "confident, real" ENT and he said my ears look fine. so i don't know if the dizziness is coming from the sinus cavities in my face or my ears. i am very confused and frustrated too, i hope you find an answer and i will let you all know if i find anything that helps so maybe it will help you. take care and feel better soon!

Old 06-05-2004, 05:31 AM   #11

sheryl555 HB User

Hi There,

I too suffer from allergies, and this year seems especially bad for me. Right now I am in the same condition, very dizzy. And I like you hate it. What I do and it does somewhat help is first of all I find it helps to sleep on my back. I think what happens is the pillow puts pressure on the back sinus' helping them to drain a bit, and the other thing that helps is good old fashioned steam. I have a personal facial steamer, but you can just boil water and stand over it and inhale. It will help relieve some of the congestion that is contributing to the dizziness. Everyone I know is bothered this year, there has been so much rain that the trees are very lush again like last year, more pollen.
Hope you feel better
Sheryl

Old 06-05-2004, 10:55 AM   #12

golsoam HB User

Vicks makes a steamer thing they sell at Walmart, what do you think about that? They also make cups you heat up and breathe in the steam from them. I am thinking about trying something like that maybe. What do you think??? I am desperate today
thanks and i will try sleeping on my back too! that's a great idea!!!

Old 06-06-2004, 09:32 AM   #13

sheryl555 HB User

Yes, the Walmart product you are talking about is probably the same. I forgot to also mention this, something my daughter reminded me of. I am also going to go back to doing it. She heard and has been using faithfully everyday for one year, a teaspoon of local honey daily. Supposedly, you are supposed to purchase the honey within a 15 mile radius to your house. She swears it works for her, I'll try it too.

Old 06-06-2004, 04:53 PM   #14

golsoam HB User

I was so sick yesterday that I my face hurt and I was so dizzy with pounding in my ears. Anyway, I bought a heating pad and slept with it on my head and put it on my face off and on as well. I also ran my humidifier all night and boiled a pot of water with a spoonful of vicks vapor rub. I am better today but can't wait til I can PREVENT this crazy mess!!

Old 06-06-2004, 08:28 PM   #15

Zeethan HB User

I stopped taking Allegra 2 days ago, I have the dizziness, nothing is moving in my nose or ears. I actually felt less dizzy today, don't know if it's from not taking the Allegra or not. I sleep on my side and it felt like the pressure in my nose was moving slightly. I supposedly had ETD a couple of years ago, nothing they can give you for it. I can't take Motrin or similar products, so the doctors just shrug and I have to tough it out. Hope you can find some relief.

Closed Thread