It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 06:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Anyone know how to treat a sinus infection without antibiotics?

My doctor put me on Avelox antibiotic and after taking one pill and reading up on it, I have decided not to take it. It was pretty scarey of what I have read!!! I have a mild sinus infection and would like to know how this can be treated with SAFE alternative remedies. Thanks everyone!

Old 09-02-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
(female)

Kime HB User
Re: Anyone know how to treat a sinus infection without antibiotics?

Vitamin C is great for infections and viruses. For best results you have to take it to bowel tolerance. When I have a cold I take 15-18 grams at a time, but you might need more or less than that. If I take more than 5 grams at a time I try to take it on an empty stomach or almost empty stomach or it makes me bloated. If you take it to bowel tolerance it will also probably give you gas, but it really helps so it is worth it. You can look up vitamin C bowel tolerance on the internet for more information. The worst side effect of vitamin C, as long as you don't take it on a full stomach and get the bloating, is that you can get diarrhea, but it isn't painful, doesn't last very long, and tells you that your body now has enough to do the job at hand. Also for something like this if you take it to bowel tolerance you will know within a few hours if it is helping or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Also, drink plenty of green tea and water...

Old 09-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #4

dodegirl HB User

THIS IS WHAT I DO
PUT HYDROGYN PEROXIDE IN A SQUIRT BOTTLE WITH SALT OR SALINE SOLUTION AND SQUIRT IT UP MY NOSE ONCE ON EACH SIDE, IT STINGS FOR JUST A MINUTE AND THEN IT STARTS DRYING UP. I AM NOT A DR. BUT I DID READ THIS IN A BOOK. iT WORKS FOR ME. DODE

Last edited by dodegirl; 09-04-2004 at 03:32 PM.

Old 09-04-2004, 03:34 PM   #5

dodegirl HB User

I Buy A Bottle Of Saline Solution For Nose And Then Dump A Little Out And Put In Hydrogen Peroxide, Squirt It Up Both Sides Then It Dries Up, Works For Me. I Read This In A Book About Peroxide. Dode

Old 09-08-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

Aloe vera might work for sinus problems. I mixed aloe vera solution and water together (to make it less strong) and sniffed it in the nose to help with severe allergies. It was a "life-saver" at that time many years ago. What some of the people mentioned about using a saline solution (separately) sounded like a good idea too.

I've had great results with raw garlic (a clove or two) in preventing and curing various colds and flus. I've never tried raw garlic for sinus infections, but it might be worth a try. You just have to mix the small amount of raw garlic with some other food. To neutralize the odor somewhat, later on...you can eat raw fruit.

There's lots of good information about the medicinal properties of garlic. I'm always surprised how so many people don't understand more about this. Technically, garlic is a natural antibiotic. There's many other herbs that are good for infections too.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #7

sallyko HB User

I read that acupuncture treats sinusitis. i know a woman who used acupuncture years ago. She has no sinusitis, it's gone. Some other friend of mine stopped taking medications and went to chiropractor, she is feeling better and is going to see acupuncturist soon.

Last edited by sallyko; 09-17-2004 at 11:23 AM.

Old 09-18-2004, 01:38 AM   #8
Inactive

zandy HB User

My sister "had" chronic sinusitis, until she used garlic capsules with "allicin" in it. Go to a health food store or order online. Difficult to find, but has to be with "allicin" in it. Garlic is excellent natural antibiotic. Do not use raw garlic. Will take toooooo many and odor will be AWFUL!, and can give you terrible stomache ache. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

To clarify some about raw garlic....

Yes, some people can take raw garlic...but I've found that it's better to mix it with food. I've never had trouble that way or heard of anyone having trouble that way, mixing it with mashed potatoes or pizza for example.

Years ago, I tried taking raw garlic by itself, and it would burn the mouth and throat, so I now always take it with food. I've read that a person should not take more than 2 cloves of raw garlic a day. For me, only one or two raw cloves a day, has been effective to significantly knock out a cold or flu. For the odor, you have to try the raw fruit...and different kinds...for it really does help!

Of course, if the raw garlic mixed with food still causes problems, then maybe finding another substitute might be better, as previously suggested.

Old 09-23-2004, 03:35 PM   #10
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I use raw garlic also. My country doctor medicine book list it as a natural antibotic also.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:46 AM   #11

CJCJ HB User

Go to the "Allergies" Healthboard and there are many postings about alternative methods for this sinus condition, including the peroxide method discussed already.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:55 PM   #12

naturallyme HB User

Here is my 2cents worth - it worked with my daughter when she was young and had chronic sinus infections.
I try my best to avoid prescriptions. I find it hard to justify (in most cases) taking a medication where the side effects are worse than the SYMPTOMS they are treating... most do NOT treat the CAUSE!
Also, my coworkers wife is a pharmaceutical student and once she learned what these DRUGS do to your body - she will NOT even take an aspirin. Yet - she will have NO problem dispensing the stuff.... O.K. off the soapbox.
The following was my solution:
Use a good humidifier (I live in New Orleans - it IS humid - but,I still used one)
get some WATER SOLUABLE tea tree oil from the health food store and put 1/2 tsp in the water ...
It works wonders.
Be sure to clean the humidifier DAILY!
Happy Breathing!

Old 10-02-2004, 07:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

I have heard that Neti Pots with a sea salt rinse work well. I used one when I was getting over a very bad call this past Spring. It takes some getting used to. It looks like a mini tea pot...you buy some sea salt...they usually have fine grain that they sell in the same personal care section of the store...and you disolve the salt in luke warm water. You lean over a sink and pour the water through one nostril tipping yourself over so that it drains out the opposite nostril. Then you repeat pouring in the other nostril. It really cleans things out and the salt is so good for your sinus tissues.

You can find these at a health food store or health conscious grocery.

Now, I don't know if it is good to use in the case of an active sinus infection. You may want to check.

Raw garlic is excellent. My Mom used to get sinus infections all the time until she married her second husband who is Italian. I kid that he even eats it on his ice cream

-ncgirl88

Last edited by ncgirl88; 10-02-2004 at 07:33 AM.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:17 AM   #14
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

try eating lots of ground flax seed. start with a tbsp and work your way up. it will strengthen your immune system. it probably won't cure an infection that's already in progress, but it should reduce the instances of sinus infections in the future. i have a history of sinus infections, chronic allergies and asthma. i have reduced my need for allergy and asthma by over 90% since i got up to eating a half cup of ground flax seed a day. i believe flax does more good things for your health than any other single food. please learn more about it. flax is loaded with healthful nutrients. i grind it up and cook it with my oats. see my other posts. good luck.

Closed Thread