It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2004, 05:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Major bubbles, TMJ and sinus trouble. Candeling the ears?

Every time I go to the doctors for a check up, I always hear that my ears are full of bubbles. I know that I'm a little dizzy most of the time too. Allergies to certain pollens or some wood types we burn in the winter. I have tmj also. My question to anyone is this. Have you ever done candeling for the ears, I'm about ready to try it. I just need to get someone to help me, I bought two and will need to do it a few times I'm sure, with break time in between. I've posted this question in the alternative healing before, didn't hear from anyone. Hopefully I will here. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Re: Major bubbles, TMJ and sinus trouble. Candeling the ears?

Forgot to say, I'm taking thyroid meds and can't have decongestion meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 04:47 PM   #3

kminny HB User

I have done ear candleing for my daughter - who had the bubbling/ear crackeling going on. The candles were for my husband who is also on thryoid meds and has tinittus (ringing in ears), we were told it would help him. He didn't have time so I did it for my daughter. It worked well. I would be curious to see how you feel after it. Bubbling stopped but down the road a few weeks her ears started itch - probably just the cool weather. Be sure not to burn it too low....and if you are curious like me.....i cut the candle open when we were done and YUCK was surprised YUCK to see all the gunk (YUCK) that came out. My daughter is 19.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:21 PM   #4

Chicago Sandy HB User

My ENT says candling is not only a waste of money, it can be dangerous--you can get a serious burn from hot wax. if you do have excess earwax, it should be cleaned out by a doctor. The gunk you see after ear candling is usually candle wax that was oxidized. There are ways to decongest that do not involve stimulants like Sudafed--ask your doc about Nasalcrom (OTC) or prescription nasal steroid sprays. If you have nasal allergies, these sprays could desensitize the nasal mucosa and lessen the amount of secretions that could be making their way up the eustachian tubes into the middle ear. Ask him or her if you can also take antihistamines (but be careful with these as they can make tinnitus worse even as they keep your tubes clear). Keep hydrated, too--my neurotologist told me that my hearing distortion is not neurological in origin but due to excess fluid in my inner ear. Dehydration can actually make you retain water, and your body releases it into the intercellular spaces in the tissues--causing swelling and fluid retention where you least want it. He's having me restrict sodium to 2gm/day (which is not all that drastic) and eventually cut out caffeine (the toughest thing to kick, as I need it for my lungs). I've started hydrating (drinking a glass of water every 1-2 hrs I'm awake) and it's making a huge difference--I'm beginning to hear instruments almost the way they're supposed to sound again. I may never ditch my tinnitus--which I've had ever since early childhood--but it's pretty mild to begin with (the only thing it interferes with is testing my ultrahigh-frequency hearing) and I can live with that (have already for over half a century).

Closed Thread