It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
(male)

ntumin HB User
Sinus Pain without congestion - HELP!

I have had a "sinus" type headache and face pain for over a month now. Pain behind my nose, top of teeth, behind eyes, forehead. No congestion at all. It tends to radiate to the whole head. It comes on for a day or two than subsides for a couple of days. Then returns. I have had sinus x-ray and all came out fine. I have had a head ct scan, not a sinus one. Is there a difference? and that cam out normal too. I think they were looking for brain tumors there. I have also beenon antibitoitcs for sinutitis but I dont think its that, Anyway, it hasnt helped. Any ideas?

Old 11-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #2

MagnaV45 HB User
Re: Sinus Pain without congestion - HELP!

ntumin
Have you had your wisdon teeth out?
Do you drink or eat things with nutrasweet (aspertaine) in it?
BB--Magna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
(male)

ntumin HB User

No!!!

Do you think that could be it? I mean a feel pain on both side, although I may feel a little more on the right? WOuld it also give pain in my nose and behind the eyes??

I hope you are right! This is driving me crazy!

Old 11-20-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
(male)

ntumin HB User

I checked with my dentist, and its not Wisdom.. DO you think it could be TMJ?

Old 11-22-2004, 07:44 AM   #5

MagnaV45 HB User

TMJ can cause headaches. Ask your dentist about a bite plate. They're expensive but it would help if that's what's happening. You may be gritting or grinding your teeth in your sleep. So, you've had no problems with your teeth and no sign of wisdom teeth? How old are you if I may ask?
Weather can play a big role in sinus problems even if there is no infection, as can allergys. Depends on what area of the country you live in. I am in Michigan so we have constant sinus problems with no infections. Pain, pressure, ear aches, neck aches, etc. just due to barametric pressure and moisture.
Nutrasweet can cause headaches or migraines for alot of people. High blood pressure can also cause headaches. Stress is - of course - the ever present culprit of a lot of headaches. Neck being out of allignment is another possibility. Lots of things that are non-life threatening, but a pain in the butt, can make your head hurt. don't give up. keep looking at one thing at a time until you find a reason. Best Wishes
BB--Magna

Old 11-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
(male)

ntumin HB User

Well, I do grind my teeth when I sleep. My wife has told me she hears it. I even feel that I clench during the day, which I have tried stopping. But would that cause pain in the back of the nose? Plus I dont feel pain in my jaw joints, although I do have a bit of ear pressure. It is very weird, because I get this pain in the face hardcore every 4 days or so.. It subsides and turns into a radiating headache. Then it flares up again.

I'm on my second round of antiobitoitcs for which my GP still thinks is a severe case of Sinutitus.. But I really disagree, since there is no congestion or no discharge. Plus they don't seem to be helping. Its streesing me out, I even am thinking Sinus Cancer. But then again, no nosebleeds or congestion. Just face pain and headaches.

Thanks Magna, I am 30 by the way.

Last edited by ntumin; 11-22-2004 at 10:38 AM.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:43 AM   #7

SHAYSER HB User

oh my god ntumin , you have thesame exact symtoms as me I thought i was going nuts,, Did you go to the ent dr? did he do anything for you? the only difference is i am very stopped up right now, i feel like i am losing my mind..

Last edited by SHAYSER; 11-22-2004 at 11:00 AM.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #8

DylansMom HB User

My symptoms have been the same as yours. It all started after being put on diuretics for hypertension. I have constant head/sinus pressure which is also right-sided like yours. You've had more testing than me. I'm still waiting for my CT results. I even wondered if I had some mercury filling damage since last year my dentist replaced one with an amalgam. Perhaps this disrupted a nerve or something. I also bite my nails and a few months ago got a cyst in my right jaw near the cheekbone. It went away in 4 days so I never had it seen to. There's something to say about barometric pressure. I have been in less pain during high pressure days.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:00 PM   #9

MagnaV45 HB User

ntumin
I'm 'bout out of ideas. 30 is not to old to have wisdom teeth cause problems, but grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw strains everything!! it tightens most of the muscles in the face and neck. But it's just as likely to be a sinus or migraine issue. Have you ever had migraines or cluster headaches? Unless you have changed jobs, had kids, either gotten or lost a pet, moved and are living in a different climate then either migraine, cluster or sinus headaches are more than likely the culprit. Try keeping a headache diary. What you eat, where you go, weather, etc. it may give you some insight into a pattern. Wouldn't think cancer of sinus cavities an issue if you have had MRI or CT scans. Tumors and abnormalities would have shown up on the film. I do know that sinus infections can be an absolute bear to get rid of. I had one and it took 2 rounds of the strongest antibiotic my GP could prescribe and gallons of water (to drink) to let it drain and reduce swelling. Nose never ran until the end. Then is sucked! Nose ran constantly for several days.
Sounds dumb but some kinds of sinus or ent infections can give you bad breath and a yucky taste in your mouth. Any of that?
Last thoughts for the day--ever had your nose broken? Car accident, bar fight, other whacks in the nose? Broken nose can cause diviated septum and pain pressure in that area. Car accident that threw neck out of allignment is another thing to think about.

Keep trying.
BB--Magna

Old 11-25-2004, 09:24 AM   #10
(male)

ntumin HB User

Thanks Magna..
Well I am 6 days into my 2nd antiobiotic and maybe doing a bit better. Although I ahve been here before, and it came back. Like I said, its cyclical, every 5 or 6 days really gives me trouble and then subsides into more of a headache. So we will see. I did get a referell to an ENT and an Oral Surgeon (TMJ?). I am really getting so tired of this. My CT was not of my sinuses, it was of my brain. I did have sinus x-rays which came up fine. So it is hard to believe there is anything like sinutitius or even a cancer. My nose is still not congested at all! I am drinking lots of water.

And no, no accidents or anything like that in the past. Really looking forward to this being behind me.

Cheers

Old 11-29-2004, 10:23 AM   #11

MagnaV45 HB User

ntmin
Well, hope the antibiotic works this time around. Might keep a headache diary just to see what come up. Good luck.
BB--Magna

Old 12-22-2004, 05:42 AM   #12
(male)

ntumin HB User

Update, still without answers.

I went to an ENT who quickly noticed i have a "significantly" deviated septum. Fine. He ordered a CT of the sinuses which I had last Friday. Didn't get any results but the technician said things look very clear (no sinititus). I have to wait till JAn 14th for my next appt.

I am experiencing headaches and minor face pain still, although the severity has been reduced since Ive been on Flonase. I used to get a painful pain behind my nose for a day or two, and haven't had that.

I have heard the term "contact point" headache or middle turbinate headache. Im wondering if this could be it. I have had a brain scan so a brain tumor is not likely. Could my deviated semptum be in contact with a turbinate thus creating the pain and headaches? and would the use of Flonase help this a bit as it has been seeming to do?

Any help would be appreciated?

Old 12-23-2004, 01:09 PM   #13

Jbanksies HB User

I actually had very similiar "sinus/allergy" symptoms as you have- I realized eight months later (after seeing many doctors) that pressure on the face is linked to migraine. I would experience horrible pressure on the right side of my face and I also had a burning sensation on my nose that hurt to touch. When the pressure would subside, my nose would drain and my head would feel clear. Anyways- I would think that you are experiencing migraine, even though you may not be experiencing the "classic" symptoms of one sided throbbing pain, aura, vomiting, ect...What actually saved me was reading a book titled Heal Your Headache- The 1-2-3 Program For Taking Charge of Your Pain by David Buchholz. It points to your diet as the main trigger for all migraines. After I went on the migraine diet, I was almost free of all symptoms in a few days. I had to cut out cheese, soft drinks, coffee, beans, ect... I never believed that food could have cause my daily chronic pain, but believe me, many people are affected by food triggers. So, check out the book!!!!

Old 12-25-2004, 01:32 AM   #14

JPGuinness HB User

Ok, this is amazing. I've been reading messages; reading articles and books; seen a handful of doctors and I've never come this close to seeing my exact symptoms explained as I have in this message thread. Well, almost exact. I've had a horrible mix of strange headaches, face and eye pain. Also I get a strange, almost tingly/numbing feeling in my nose (feels like my nose is growing). Sometimes the face pain is pressure-like and other times it just aches like crazy. Ive had horrible sinus problems, but just like ntumin, I have not had any congestion/discharge/allergies recently and I still have all these weird face pains and headaches. My headaches/pains are mostly on my left side. I don't understand how to diagnose and/or treat this problem. Headache drs. tell me to follow-up with ENTs, and vice-a-versa. I've had three sinus surgeries in the last 1 1/2 yrs and after each surgery the drs. believe that my pain will decrease, but it doens't. Now it's been 8 month since my last sinus surgery and ENTs say my sinuses look "terrific"; so, why then does my face still hurt?

I saw an excellent nuerologist in the DC area who told me that it could be atypical migraines. I took some of that rat poison medication and it seemed to help a little, but at the same time, cause a bunch of screwy side-effects. It was called Depakote. The pill only seemed to help the "classic feeling headache" aspect of this problem and not the face/nose/eye pain.

Recenlty my pains have been worse than ever (I also noticed that my pain is much worse during the winter season) and dr.s are clueless about what to do. By the way, I've been treated by some of the best doctors at John's Hopkins: Dr. Sandra Lin (ENT), Dr. Mike Repka (Neuro-Opthalmology) and Dr. Peter Creticos (Immunology/Allergy).

During the last three years this problem has evolved from low-grade eye/face pain with mild occasional headaches to a full-blown living hell. I'm 25 yrs old and I've been stuck as an undergraduate b/c of this problem. I can only handle two courses at once. I can't work. I'm in hell.

Anyway, the people in this thread really need to stick together b/c this is the first time I've found people with similar symptoms (most people w/ face pain can attribute it to their sinuses). lets help eachother and track our progress. I'm almost OCD about researching my problem and, consequently, I've read a TON of info about all headache disorders as well as sinus disease.

Jbankskies, is that book that you mention really worth it? I've read others and they really don't go any further than to say not to eat cheeses or drink wine. My intuition tells me that my problem is beyond anything that a diet could help. Somtimes (rarely), my problem will go away for a few months on its own without any change in diet.

Alright, sorry for writing so much. I'm just excited I found people with most of my symptoms. One last thing: Do any of you have eye problems with you pain (like feelings of eye strain, or double vision). -J.P.-

Old 12-26-2004, 05:33 AM   #15
(male)

ntumin HB User

Well, I have had pain behind my eyes, i wouldn't say double vision though. It's more a dull ache. All my pain is also bilateral, sometimes I feel it could be more on the right side, but most times its the same on both. I also have a feeling of pressure in both ears. Also, a feeling over my top teeth. It really sounds like all of my sinuses are screwed up.

I have had both a head ct scan and a sinus x-ray both completely normal. Last wee I had a sinus CT which I am awaiting till Jan 14 for the results. The technician couldnt really say anything, but she said everything looked clear.

Thats why it lead me to that middle turbinate headache thing. Its the only thing I could think of. My ENT did say I had a deviated septum. I dunno...

JP, it sounds like youve been through a whole lot more than me, symptoms sound similar, but I never had all the sinus problems that you did.

Closed Thread