It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
(female)

Gab2000 HB User
Please help me preventing another sinus infection

Hello all,

I've been having chronic stuffy nose for 2 years now. The allergist said it's allergies and the ENT doesn't think it's a big deal. The ENT gave ASTELIn which didn't help at all and the allergist gave me Nasacort which helps but I don't want to take because it's steroids. I've irrigating with the Neti pot twice a day but it doesn't help much with the congestion. Today I feel as though I'm getting a sinus infection AGAIN and I can't afford one more because the last time I had one (2 months ago) I got a BAD yeast infection that I still have. I went to the gynecologists twice and what they gave me doesn't work for my Yeast infection. I can't imagine what would happen if I get another sinus infection... Please help me... what can I do to prevent the sinus infection???? should I irrigate 3 times a day????

I read many of you use the irrigation machine, is it necesary??? can I get the same effect with the neti- pot?????

Please somebody help me!!

Old 12-09-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
Inactive

kerry1 HB User
Re: Please help me preventing another sinus infection

I've posted this elsewhere under allergies and inner ear disorders and such, but I'll say it again:

- Try eliminating some common culprits: Dairy is a big-time sinus congester. Fruit juice is too. Get rid of soy milk, wheat, corn, processed foods, sugar, caffeine. Then add them back in one at a time to see which are hurting you.
- Drink lots and lots of water, preferably filtered & room-temp. This will help drain. Hot herb tea is fine.
- Tread lightly when treating a sinus infection. Use some echinacea/goldenseal tincture, 2-3 times a day for 10 days to 2 weeks straight, like you would a regular antibiotic. Then take acidophilus supplements afterwards, because goldenseal can cause yeast infections too.
- Take a lot of vitamin C - that helped me with my sinuses.

I've done most of the above, and have almost no sinus trouble.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 01:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Please, Please, Please use your NasalCort. Nasal Steroids are really one of the best treatments out there for allergy sinus. problems. There have been studies with Flonase where patients used 4 times the daily dose (16 sprays/day) and there was no increase in blood cortisol levels. I'd love to provide a link, but I can't on this site. But if you google it, I'm sure you'd find it. When I was really bad off, my allergist had me use Flonase twice a day. Also, I'm have military healthcare, and Navy doctors are VERY conservative. They don't let you take hardly anything when you are pregnant, but they allow the use of Flonase.

While I'm on the subject, when you use a steroid spray you must use it regularly. For most people this is everyday, but some can use it every other day. What you absolutely should not do, is "save" it for when you feel you are getting an infection. I used to use it incosistantly also, and then complain it didn't work. When I was referred to the allergist, he set me straight:

Steroid nasal sprays work best as preventative medicine. It does not work as well when you are all stuffed up. It's like putting "oil on water." If you are all stuffed up, the spray just sits on top of the mucus, and never reaches the nasal tissue. It is in these situations that a small amount of steroid can get absorbed in your system if you have PND and it runs down your throat.

When I was first prescribed Flonase my doctor told me to use Afrin for 24 hours before starting the Flonase. Then each time I used Flonase I had to first use a saline nose spray (Entsol) and blow my nose. Then putting my chin to my chest and looking at the floor, spray one squirt of Flonase. When spraying, I was told to think of aiming it toward my ear. Then I was to wait 2-3 minutes, brush my teeth, or whatever. Then spray the second squirt. This allows the first squirt to start working, and help the second squirt get further up your nose. If you choose, you can irrigate instead of using the saline spray.

As far as irrigation, a Neti pot is good, but nothing beats a sinus irrigator in my opinion. You can use it 3 times a day breifly while you have an infection, but I read somewhere that using it more than twice a day on a regular basis actually reduces an enzyme in your sinuses that prevents infections from forming.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 12-09-2004 at 01:49 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sneezydiva For This Useful Post:
sinusitis2012 (06-22-2012)
Old 12-09-2004, 02:10 PM   #4
(female)

Gab2000 HB User

Thank you so much for your replies!!!
Well I was on flonase also BUT it made me bleed SOOO much... my nose was extremely irritated. I hate Astelin and I like nasacort... but I'm scared to use it because It can give you fungus in the nose and I don't need that.

I don't know whether to spend $89 buck on the irrigation machine... that's lots of money Is it really better than the neti-pot??? does it really help????

Old 12-09-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I kept mentioning flonase b/c that's what I take, and it was the one they used in the study. But everything I said about Flonase applies to Nasacort. My sister is like you, she prefers the Nasacort to the Flonase. But she does the same procedure my doctor told me to do with Flonase, it it works better. I don't know much about the whole nasal steroid/fungus thing, but I would think irrigation of any type would prevent that.

And YES. The irrigation machine is WAY better IMO. If you can get your doctor to say you need one, some insurance companies reimburse part of the cost.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab2000
Today I feel as though I'm getting a sinus infection AGAIN and I can't afford one more because the last time I had one (2 months ago) I got a BAD yeast infection that I still have.
Yeast infections are commonly caused by too long a dose of antibiotics.

Quote:
I went to the gynecologists twice and what they gave me doesn't work for my Yeast infection. I can't imagine what would happen if I get another sinus infection... Please help me... what can I do to prevent the sinus infection???? should I irrigate 3 times a day????

I read many of you use the irrigation machine, is it necesary??? can I get the same effect with the neti- pot?????

Please somebody help me!!
Any time that I feel a sinus infection coming on, I do an upside down sinus flooding with a mixture of diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and kosher salt. It has been a life saver, for me, after decades of chronic sinus infections.

For more information, check out:

New 'upside down sinus flooding' documentation. at http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=139765

If the "upside down" technique does not interest you, chiggins1066 has successfully treated his sinus infection problems by irrigating with a combination of Zyletol, Alkalol, and 3ml of Hydrogen Peroxide.

Best of luck to you. I hope that you are able to avoid another sinus infection and that you are able to rid yourself of your yeast infection.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:41 PM   #7
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezydiva
Please, Please, Please use your NasalCort. Nasal Steroids are really one of the best treatments out there for allergy sinus. problems.
I used nasal steroids for about a year - YES, they work great, and yes, you have to use them consistently. And they prevented infections. But I hate the idea of putting cortisone in my body every single day. That's why I suggested the diet changes in my earlier post. They worked miracles for me, and they're healthy!! No worries about long-term effects from cortisone, however mild it may be.

Note: I found that the aerosol version of the nasal spray made my nose bleed, but the aqueous solution did not (that's the "squirt" kind).

Old 09-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
(female)

Michelle1107 HB User

I have had for about 1 year, really really bad sinus infections. I flush out my sinuses 5 times a day with a salt water solution. I have taken rounds and rounds of antibiotics but as soon as I start to get relief then the meds are up. I have been told at my clinic that I have to go and see an ent but I am financially strapped. I cannot begin to tell you how gross this is all to write about but here I go. I get a VERY thick solid like substance that comes out of my nose and it is very stincky. Secondly when I flush so much it is just really watery and green and extremely rank. I could never believe that something so big and thick can come out of my nose. I know that people can smell this odor. What is going on?

Old 09-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #9
(male)

oldcow HB User

Hi michell1107,
Sounds like you may have a sinus infection. You need to see a Dr. to be treatment
with an antibiotic ( if it i due to a bacteria ).
You could try something like Afrin nasal spray for a couple of days to see if it helps clear up some of that smelly discharge. Read the box it comes in, to be sure you can
use the product safely.
Good luck.
John g

Last edited by oldcow; 09-16-2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: to fix spelling.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Michelle:

It does sound like you have a serious sinus infection that is going to take some sustained treatment.

Unfortunately, you really do need to see and ENT to get treatment for this. You might be able to find an ENT who is affiliated with a major hospital who can treat you for a reduced rate. Seeing an ENT is important because someone needs to do an endoscopic exam of your sinuses, and possibly a CT scan, to understand why your infection hasn't cleared up. It's possible that you have some kind of physical obstruction (nasal polyps) or even a fungal infection.

Typically addressing a sinus infection like you describe is going to require an extended course of antibiotics (at least a month), a course of oral steroids (to reduce the inflammation) and ongoing treatment with a steroid nasal spray.

There are a few things you can try on your own - taking an oral decongestant (12-hour Sudafed/pseudoephedrine) might help, and a daily antihistamine (Claritin or Zyrtec) might help as well. All of those are available without a prescription. I would recommend that you stay away from Afrin - it can actually make the inflammation worse after a couple of days.

I know this all sounds expensive (and it can be) but if you talk to the doctor's office in advance and tell them how much you've been suffering you may find a doc who's willing to treat you for less than they usually charge. The kind of infection you describe can be serious so it's a good idea to try and deal with it as soon as possible.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

xlear..sold in vitamin stores and some pharmacies. Give it a couple of weeks. It will help. Its a natural remideied nasal spray. Nicely it kills yeasy, fungus in the nasal passages as well. Also allergens...good luck

Old 09-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

i use the xlear for moisture. It seems to last longer than plain saline sprays. I've never heard of it helping yeast/fungal infections..unless continued use helps flush things out? They only advertise for hydration and moisturizing.. Must be the grapeseed extract

Closed Thread