It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 10:56 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Sinus infection lingers despite treatment

I developed a sinus infection a couple of months ago, which I believe was caused by birth control (which I used in hopes of curing period cramps). But I have been off it for almost 2 months, but in my second month of use I began having intense and constant headaches, and a CAT scan revealed sinus buildup. I was put on antibiotics for 3 weeks (Biaxin), and it just began to clear up about 4 days before I stopped taking them.

But these headaches, the feeling of mucus running down my throat, and watery mucus draining from my nose for no reason are still here. I figured going off the birth control would help by decreasing the hormone levels, but it hasn't.

Will my sinus infection ever go away on its own? Anyone who might guess why it refused to respond to treatment? Is it possible that, despite the drop in hormones, the infection would persevere?

Note: Despite sinus problems, I have yet to have a cold. And the only thing that truly helped my pain was daily doses of Sinus Tylenol.

Dark Stranger

Old 01-08-2005, 03:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Sinus infection lingers despite treatment

Boy! That could cause a person to be mad. Ask the dr about other methods of healing this up.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 03:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Birth control pills really don't have anything at all to do with your sinus infection.
If there is still true infection, it's possible the Biaxin did not fully deal with the particular strain of bacteria you have.
See your doctor again (is he/she an ENT?)...you probably need a different med to resolve this once and for all.

The doctor should take a swab/culture to identify exactly what bug you're dealing with.

Sometimes it takes a second course of antibiotics to really knock out some of these infections.

zuzu xx

Old 01-10-2005, 05:16 AM   #4
(male)

wrestler21 HB User

I was on biaxin for a sinus infection because i was feeling extremely light headed...i finished my antibiotic about a week ago and still am light headed...my MRI showed that my sinus pouches were almost completely full however i had NO symptoms of a sinus infection...no headaches, congestion, excess drainage...is it possible that the biaxin didn't fully knock it out and this is the cause of my light headedness still?

Last edited by wrestler21; 01-10-2005 at 05:18 AM.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Wrestler,

Yes, it's possible..
But is the lightheadedness exactly the same as it was before the antibiotics? If it's slightly better but still there, it's also possible that all infection is gone but you need a little more time to feel back to normal.. Just like when we get the flu accompanied by secondary bacterial infection, we can feel weak and dizzy-ish and "off" several weeks after the active infection is long gone.

zuzu xx

Old 01-10-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
Birth control pills really don't have anything at all to do with your sinus infection.
Well if that is true, then how in the world would I have developed a sinus infection anyway? O.o

I haven't had a cold in quite a while (knock on wood!), so how could sinus headaches and buildup in my sinuses start from nowhere? Is that even possible to develop sinus problems out of thin air?

Oh well, I suppose I should be overjoyed the pain is far less intense than it previously was; this pain I have now I can handle and does not interfere with concentration or keeping my eyes open.

I say if it worsens, I'll speak to my ENT again; currently I use some sort of a nose spray that she had prescribed to me when the pain gets bad. I told her my headaches were not entirely gone, but she refused to put me on more antibiotics because she sais too much of them in the body isn't good.

Thanks for the insights as well, guys; I appreciate all your help.

Dark Stranger - scarfing Tylenol

Old 01-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Your doctor is wise to not put you on more antibiotics since you have already had quite a bit. Bugs become resistant to antibiotics very easy and then become horrible to kill in the future. You may have one of those kinds of bugs now.

Yes, you can get a sinus infection out of thin air. Germs enter your nostrils when you breathe and that air travels up into the sinus cavities depositing the germs there. Remember, when you sniff nose drops they go to your sinuses and lungs.

I have lost track of all of your posts, but, if you are not taking an anahistamine, give it a try and see if that helps. Sometimes there is just enough pollen and/or fungus in the air to keep sinuses irritated. Treating for allergy may very well stop the headaches.

You do not have to have a cold before sinuses become infected. Just breathing air that contains germs will cause infection.

Keeping your hands clean, washed many times day, use Germ-X Gel hand santizer often will go a long ways to help keep bacteria from entering your portal entries (mouth/nose). Keep your hands away from your face at all times, stay away from people who sound like they are ill with respiratory problems.

Bacteria and viruses linger in the air where a person sneezed or coughed or breathed for 10-15 minutes and then when someone else walks into the air space they are exposed to bacteria and/or viruses.

Last edited by Misty800; 01-10-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Old 01-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #8
(female)

patched HB User

Hi,
I had bronchitis and finished the z-pack but was still having sinus problems so the pa in the doctors office put me on augmentin and told me to stop using my flonase for allergy.
I have used augmentin before and for the six weeks I was on it felt really bad but this time after I took the first pill I started to vomit and threw up for about 10 minutes straight. I did eat before taking the pill and the sickness started about an hour later.
I've never been that sick in my life. I still feel like I might have a sinus infection but I don't know if I can handle any more antibiotics. Any suggestions? Should I go back on my Flonase ?

Thanks
Pat

Old 01-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #9
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Now ya got me started. I have a long post somewhere, I think on the Allergy thread. I used to get chronic sinus infections and chronic ear infections. Antibiotics didn't do squat. Cortisone helped keep the ear infections away, but cortisone is not a health food. Here's how I beat sinus problems:

- Do not overkill a sinus infection. Use herbs, not ultra-strength prescriptions. Goldenseal and echinacea tincture, used daily for two weeks the same way as an antibiotic, will kill a lot of low-grade infections. Take acidophilus when you're finished with the "course" of goldenseal. Garlic is another good germ-killer.
- High doses of Vitamin C fight infections very well.
- Do not consume dairy products - not any, especially milk and ice cream. Also avoid cheese and even yogurt. Yogurt has a lot of good nutrition but also has the pasteurized milk in it, which can be very harmful to sinuses.
- Avoid cold foods and drinks. This is hard, but once you get used to it, you'll wonder why you ever put cold stuff in your body.
- Drink lots of plain water, 8 glasses a day like the old saying goes. Room temperature.
- Avoid fruit juices for a while. If you must drink fruit juice, it should be fresh squeezed, or even better, expressed with a juicer. Avoid citrus fruits, since they can cause stuffiness.
- Irrigate your sinuses with a little bit of mild salt water. You might want to try a Neti pot, but I wouldn't necessarily go that far - just a little squirt is very helpful for draining.

There's no silver bullet, especially not from the pharmaceutical companies. I hate seeing people taking all these drugs when a little lifestyle change will boost their health SO MUCH.

Closed Thread