It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 07:30 PM   #1

alyssap3333 HB User
ice pick headaches? sinus headaches? please help!

hi everyone, im a 15 year old female, and for about the past year I have been getting these strange headaches. They are just like a stabbing or throbbing pain. Sometimes it will throb over and over again for quite a long time without very severe pain. Sometimes Ill just get one extreme stabbing pain on the side of my head which will make my eyes water. Sometimes I go weeks at a time without these. Sometimes they happen all through the day. They don't come with any other symptoms like nausea like migraines do. As you can see, these headaches are completely random which makes them hard to explain or identify. I went to the doctor about half a year ago. I got bloodwork done and nothing was wrong. She pretty much did nothing and said that it must be from allergies. She gave me some nasal spray which didn't help at all. My mom won't take me back to the doctor because she thinks that im just getting "normal" headaches like everyone else. I've searched on the internet and found out about ice pick headaches which sound similar to what I have. The only difference is that mine don't sound that severe. I could live with these headaches, I don't care if I can treat them or not. I just want to know what is wrong with me! If anyone is having these too or thinks they might know what they are.. please reply. Thank you for taking time to read this.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
(female)

mystiq86 HB User
Re: ice pick headaches? sinus headaches? please help!

Hello, I started getting headaches when I was 16, now I'm 18 and they are much worse. I get the ice pick headaches very often. In fact, on a scale from one to ten, I've had at least a 9 for the last seven days. Yesterday I had a 10. It was absolutely horrible. Technically, you and I aren't experiencing the classic mirgraine like everyone else. I lose my appitite, but don't actually have nausea. My neuro pretty much said I have migraine-like headaches, and he prescribed me some Relpax (40 mg). It is given for migraine sufferers, but my doc wanted to see if it would help, and sure enough it did. It only gives me temporary relief; most of the time for only three hours. But that normally gives me enough time to take a test or something when I'm at school.

I too have had a lot of bloodwork, and I've had a couple of MRIs. Everything came back okay, even though I have a bunch of health problems not related to my headaches. I still have no idea what's causing these migraine-type headaches. At the moment my neuro is just trying to give me some relief from the pain. I've tried a series of anti-convulsants and anti-depressants for headache prevention. After a large number of medications and side effects, I found Pamelor and it seems to help me a little. I've tried physical therapy, chiropractics, etc., and they actually made my headaches worse.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I'm not of much help. Just don't give up. Find a different neurologist if you must. Never hurts to have a second opinion. I hope you find the answers you're looking for. And if you have any other questions, just ask. Again, sorry if I wasn't much help.

Natalie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread