It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User
Exclamation To anyone who had sinus surgery or septoplasty

I just had my surgery about 10 days ago. Everyone so far has spoken very highly of it. However, im still pretty stuffy and congested. I cant really breathe freely. Is this normal? When I went to my ENT for my 2nd post op appt. he said he yet i shouldnt expect to feel better YET *SIGH*

SO how long does it take until you can breathe like a normal person? Another gross this is when I irrigate, sometimes chunks of hard-looking snot come out (SORRY). IS that b/c I havent been able to blow my nose and it gets trapped in there?

Old 05-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
(female)

tip2mol HB User
Re: To anyone who had sinus surgery or septoplasty

Hi,

I had the septoplasty and the maxillary anstrostomies (openings into those sinus cavities) placed almost 2 years ago.
What you are going through is not abnormal. It takes awhile to get to where your sinuses are feeling better. There is a lot of swelling following this surgery, and to add to it- if you suffer from allergies- this could add some additional swelling to the nasal cavity. This year is particularly bad for allergies and it is that time of the year for the abundance of pollens.
I noticed that you are doing the sinus irrigations. Definitely continue with those at least 2 times a day. Another suggestion to help the nasal secretions from drying out is to use a saline nasal spray. Make sure it is just a saline type of spray to keep the nasal cavity moist and not a decongestant type spray such as Afrin.

Hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Oh my, I was miserable and couldn't breath well out of my sinuses after my last sinus surgery which included a septoplasty. It takes at least a good couple of months before things get back to normal and you don't feel so stuffed up. Give it time. It was 5 weeks after my surgery when I had my stints out cause my ENT wanted to wait till at least there would be enough healing to pull them out. So, I think you just want to feel better and see a big difference. It just isn't going to happen this fast. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User
Smile Thanks Guys!

I feel so relieved from your responses! I thought something was wrong with me. Ive heard ppl needing multiple surgeries, but wasnt all that complex. Im just soo ready to feel better! I have been sick with an infection prior ro this since end of Jan., and Im sure u guys had your share of them too. I must say though evey day is slightly better than the first, which I dont think I could have ever said prior to surgery. Take Care

Old 06-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
(male)

DJBucs2005 HB User

I had septoplasty and had my stints out about a week to two weeks after surgery. I lost track of time, because it's been while. I had the surgery on May 3rd, 2006 though. I had a slightly deviated septum before the surgery.

I don't think I have done any damage, but I kind of stopped caring about being careful not to bump my nose because I figured the surgery didn't do a darn thing for me. It was about 3-4 weeks post op, and I sort of bumped my nose with my hand one day. I don't now if that did any damage, but I still experience about the same amount of congestion through my nsos as I did before surgery. There are some days the bridge of my nose hurts for a few moments. I should probably note that in my health log, but I swear...I just don't really care all that much anymore because I feel so hopeless and figure "What is the point?" I'd say I had experienced that pain more often within the two to three prior weeks (2-3 times a week) but not as often as recently and I can't remember exactly the last time I experienced that pain.

Any specific concerns for when I go to a new doctor (primary care physican)? I unfortunately can't go back to the same ENT who performed the surgery anytime soon. Not until July 1st at least.

Last edited by DJBucs2005; 06-11-2006 at 11:49 AM.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:12 AM   #6
(male)

oceanside HB User

I had a septoplasty done over 12 years ago. It didn't do anthing for me. I heard that a new procedure sinus surgery was promising. How's the pain level? The septo was horrific for me. If the sinus surgery aint that bad-pain wise, I may give it a try. Pls let me know the pain level. 1-5.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
(male)

Alex24 HB User

I just had septoplasty & turbo reduction. Packing out the day after surgery, and it only stung abit...trust me you won't pass out, but will get a little tear in your eye. Four days later splints came out, took two oxycodines before, but really didn't need them. Those splints just slid out very easy...no pain at all. However, day after splint removal, nose still plugged up. Was disappointed and discouraged...guess I expected better, however, other people have told me that the swelling and crusting will go away in a couple of weeks and the breathing will be again great. Looking forward to that day. Probably the worst part was the packing the first night....breathing thru mouth got it really dry...use ice chips and chap stick...does wonders. Anyway, it is not as terrifying as other posts I have read.

Last edited by Alex24; 06-23-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Closed Thread