It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 04:03 AM   #1

Emak HB User
Frightening article I found about sinus surgery

Paranasal sinus fungus balls.

Ferreiro JA, Carlson BA, Cody DT 3rd.

Department of Laboratory Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA.

BACKGROUND: Paranasal sinus fungus balls (mycetomas) are a form of fungal sinus infection distinct from allergic fungal sinusitis, fulminant invasive fungal disease, and paranasal aspergillus granulomas. METHODS: The Mayo Clinic surgical pathology files of inflammatory sinus specimens from 1984 to 1994 were examined. Twenty-nine paranasal sinus fungus balls were identified. Cases of allergic fungal sinus and invasive fungal disease were excluded. RESULTS: The fungus ball occurred in 11 men and 18 women, with an age range of 28 to 86 years, mean 64 years. Sinuses involved included maxillary (20 cases), sphenoid (10 cases), ethmoid (9 cases), and frontal (6 cases). In 12 patients, multiple sinuses were involved in a variety of combinations. By culture the most common pathogens were Aspergillus fumigatus and Aspergillus flavus. Treatment was by a variety of surgical procedures. Follow-up in 28 patients showed two recurrences and three deaths due to intracerebral bleed as a complication of surgery. These deaths occurred in patients with sphenoid sinus fungus balls. CONCLUSIONS: Paranasal sinus fungus balls occurs in an elderly population and have a female predominance. They have a low morbidity and recurrence rate. Death can occur in sphenoid sinus lesions as a complication of surgery.

** NOTE THE LAST PART... 3 deaths from bleeding, out of 28 surgeries?!?! Come on, is this forreal? That is about a 10 percent death rate!!

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=9278755&dopt=Abstract[/url]

And here's another one, that claims "less that 1%", do I like these odds? 1 in 100? blindness? death?!

Major complications of surgery occur in fewer than 1% of cases.2 They may include:

Heavy bleeding.
Leakage of the fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord.
Inflammation of the membrane that covers the brain (meningitis).
Blindness.

[url]http://www.informationtherapy.org/kbase/topic/detail/surgical/hw59870/detail.htm[/url]

Last edited by Emak; 05-11-2005 at 05:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
(female)

leelee04 HB User
Re: Frightening article I found about sinus surgery

There are risks with EVERY surgery. Many people have had sinus surgery and came out fine. Please stop trying to scare people.
leelee

Old 05-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Does seem like a lot...but then again, it was in the Spheoid area so that may have something to do w/ it...perhaps only they need to be more cautious.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

I have had 2 sinus and about to have another and my ENT has not said anything to me about the rick of death being that high. Sounds a bit over exaggerated if you ask me.

Old 05-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
(male)

Cut-Throat HB User

I believe it. - People die in hospitals in numbers that defy imagination. Lots of these deaths involve infections.

I heard numbers that approached 200,000 per year. If this many folks died in Airline crashes at this rate, the Airline system would be grounded in a month!

This is not just sinus surguries, but hospitals in general. The medical community has a 'code of silence' that is even more perfected than the police force.

Old 05-11-2005, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Honestly, I think if you have a really good doctor and good care than you don't ahve much to worry about. It does make a difference.

Old 05-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
(female)

tip2mol HB User

There is risks involved with everything and I certainly would not be overly scared to go in and have sinus surgery if I had failed at other treatments.
I have had sinus surgery and have assisted in many sinus surgeries. You could die from being on the roadway- but does that stop you from going to the places that you need to go. I had failed every treatment for sinus problems and was miserable. I could not even breathe through my nose anymore. I had the surgery and I am here typing today.
Lets talk about risks- take a look at the risks of untreated or continuing sinus infections. The infections can actually spread and cause death.
You always hear the horror stories- and of course you have to sign the consent stating that you know that there are risks. It is important that you go to a surgeon that you trust and has a good record and you feel comfortable with and have the surgery done where they feel most comfortable and so do you. My surgery was done in a surgical center- where that is all that they do as opposed to a hospital.

Old 05-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

The sphenoid sinuses are located deep in the center of the skull. It is a much more risky operation than the other sinuses, and it is performed less often. That in part, explains the deaths. Notice there were no deaths from operations in the other sinuses.

Like others have said there are risks to everything. Only you can decide how miserable you are and weigh the costs and benefits of having surgery.

For me it was a miracle, it gave me my life back. I had no complications and no regrets other than I wish I had done it sooner.

Closed Thread