It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 05:59 AM   #1
(male)

jv_2004 HB User
Anyone have sinus surgery?

Hello, anyone in here with deviated septum have surgery to correct it? If so, how do you feel now? Better? How is the symptoms? I am planning to get my septum corrected. I really feel suicidal at the moment.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
(female)

tip2mol HB User
Re: Anyone have sinus surgery?

Hi,

Yes- I had sinus surgery almost two years ago for 2 reasons 1) To correct a deviated septum and 2) To create openings into my maxillary sinuses because they kept becomming occluded.
Not a fun surgery but it was definitely worth it.
For well over a year, I could breathe through my nose. The turbinates kept swelling and with the septal deviation I just could not get any air into my nose.
I still have sinus problems but not near to the extent that I did.
Definitely well worth it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, I had mine done years ago and the technique is totally changed. That being said, if I were in the same position today, I'd do it again. My nose had been broken several times and one side was almost closed. I went to an unairconditioned school so I was really struggling to breathe in the spring and fall.....

Old 05-18-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

I had my deviated septum fixed in November and I must say things have gotten a lot better for me. Really, it wasn't that bad. The second day after the surgery was the most painful and I just layed in bed with pain killers all day. After that I started to feel a lot better.

I am having another sinus surgery on Monday but nothing like I had my last surgery so it won't be as bad. Don't worry though, having your nose fixed is really not that bad.

Old 05-21-2005, 01:04 PM   #5

bunnee HB User

I had mine 3 weeks ago, and I think Ive gone to heaven. I had trimmed turbinates as well. I suffered facial pain which was so severe i cant even describe. I have no pain now. The surgery is not bad at all. I took no pain meds ( yeah crazy i know) i figured if i tolerated massive facial pain for many years, surgery pain would be a cinch - which it was - well to me,,, you might see it differently. Since surgery, all the foods that used to cause me facial pain, now.... nothing. Ive had dairy queen about 8 times and those crispy cream donuts ahhhh. I havnt had ice cream or junky food in many years. Even my annimal/ dust/ pollen allergies are greatly improved. I still have very mild inflammation, but im sure thats from an unhappy tooth ( a whole other topic). Go do it and dont be afraid at all. Its so worth it. I personally recommend that you get on some antibiotics though, a week before and 2 weeks after. - just my own personal opinion.

For anyone who has a deviated septum with facial pain its called sleuders neuraliga. Mine was caused by an accident

Old 06-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv_2004
Hello, anyone in here with deviated septum have surgery to correct it? If so, how do you feel now? Better? How is the symptoms? I am planning to get my septum corrected. I really feel suicidal at the moment.
I am supposed to have sinus surgery July 11 if I do not chicken out. My doc has not told me anything about my septum. We have to go over the CAT scan tomorrow so I hope I will know more then. I sure hope the surgery helps if I decide to go through with it. I keep a sinus infection it seems.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
(female)

dbaum HB User

I am scheduled for surgery July 5. My ENT is just clearing out the front sinus. His hope is that will relieve the other symptoms I have. Since I had a tonsillectomy done on April 12 my soft palate, on one side, has dropped and the post nasal drip is terrible. I really don't know if this will help the other issues but I guess it can't hurt. My left frontal sinus is completely packed. I just don't see the connection between the sinus and my throat issue.

Anyone else have any experiences similar to this?

Old 06-24-2005, 06:03 AM   #8
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

I am terrified to have this surgery?? Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle the anxiety? I just think it would have to hurt like He** to have this done. My problem is mostly facial pain around my cheeks with constant blockage and sinus infections. I went to the doc yesterday to look at the CAT scan and I know I want to have it done on July 11th but I am so scared. I have had a lot of operations (hysterectomy, 2 foot surgeries, carpet tunnel release) but this one scares me because I just feel like I will feel like I am smothering. Please advise.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:08 AM   #9
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls
I had my deviated septum fixed in November and I must say things have gotten a lot better for me. Really, it wasn't that bad. The second day after the surgery was the most painful and I just layed in bed with pain killers all day. After that I started to feel a lot better.

I am having another sinus surgery on Monday but nothing like I had my last surgery so it won't be as bad. Don't worry though, having your nose fixed is really not that bad.
why do you have to have another sinus surgery? Has it been a long time ago? Please forgive me for being blunt but after all of the surgeries and biopsies I have had this year I hope I can stay away from surgeons. I just wonder what the chances are that I will need it again also. I have a slightly deviated septum and maxillary blockage. I hope I spelled that correctly.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

I had surgery again to try and open the frontal ethmoid sinus as it was blocked. I just has my stint out a couple of days ago and it felt so good getting that out. For now I am healing, but very inflammed on the sinus. It isn't to bad though. Quite normal since I had surgery in that area. If you have blockage you really want to get it opened up. A deviated septum is a real pain to have and getting that fixed can help a lot as well. My first sinus surgery I had maxillary blockage as well and had that opened up. Really, the surgery is not that bad. After 5-6 weeks you won't even be able to tell you had any surgery.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:36 AM   #11
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls
I had surgery again to try and open the frontal ethmoid sinus as it was blocked. I just has my stint out a couple of days ago and it felt so good getting that out. For now I am healing, but very inflammed on the sinus. It isn't to bad though. Quite normal since I had surgery in that area. If you have blockage you really want to get it opened up. A deviated septum is a real pain to have and getting that fixed can help a lot as well. My first sinus surgery I had maxillary blockage as well and had that opened up. Really, the surgery is not that bad. After 5-6 weeks you won't even be able to tell you had any surgery.
My problem is that I can only take 5 days off. Do you think I will be able to swing that? I do not have any time off to take from work.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

If you can have the surgery on a Monday than you will likely be able to make it to work by the next week.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #13
(male)

jimmyjamm HB User

i'm surgery is scheduled on July 11th... as far as the recovery rate is concerned, how often are nasal packs used after surgery? i heard its not as common as it used to be... and will i be able to breathe right after surgery (by that, i mean 1 or 2 days later) or will it take weeks for me to breathe through my nose?

Old 06-30-2005, 11:25 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

you will be able to breath through your nose right away.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:47 AM   #15
(female)

dbaum HB User

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. I will not be having any packing. I was told I will have to use nasal washes 4 times per day and mineral oil drops.

Closed Thread