It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 02:46 AM   #1
(male)

phantoap HB User
eye feels puffy, but looks fine. an allergy/sinus thing?

For about a week, around my left eye feels swollen or puffy, the feeling is on the bottom and top eyelid and also on the side toward the bridge of the nose. It is only around the left eye, the right eye has no such feeling. When I look in the mirror, that eye basically looks fine. Doesn't look like there's much or even any swelling, except maybe the eye is closed just very, very slightly more than the right eye. At first I thought maybe I was getting pink eye and I'd wake up with my eye swollen shut and all pink, but it never happened. Then I thought maybe I haven't been getting enough sleep, but the past few days have been fine for sleep. Is this sensation sinus pressure? It's not painful or anything, just feels puffy. It's not going away or really getting worse either. Lately the bottom eyelid seems to spasm a bit occasionally. I am not particularly congested lately, nose isn't running. Allergies have been on and off this spring, but right now they don't seem too bad. I just don't know what to make of this minor annoyance.

Last edited by phantoap; 06-18-2005 at 02:49 AM.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
(female)

Lilly10 HB User
Re: eye feels puffy, but looks fine. an allergy/sinus thing?

Funny you should mention that only your left eye feels this way because I am having the same problem and only my right eye feels strange! This has been going on for me since the end of April and somedays it feels fine but much more often my right eye feels puffy on my upper eyelid and sometimes in the corner of my eye and nose. I have tried patanol and that does not help. I have never had allergies in the past so I really dont know if this is allergies or not. As far as runny noses my nose is not runny at all however I have been pretty congested off and on.

Do you feel any pressure when you press on your forehead?
Are you getting headaches?

I ask that because I have been getting headaches and if I press on my forehead the feeling will linger.

Hopefully this feeling will go away for you and I as it is very annoying!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
(male)

phantoap HB User

No headaches really. It's only congestion on and off just like every spring and the puffy feeling. These don't seem to even be related, though, meaning when I am congested it is not necessarily when my eye feels puffiest. My mom just started complaining about something similar. Her left eye is all puffy, but it is also itchy and a little red for her. She also thought she was getting pink eye but it never happened. I am starting to wonder if this is some sort of bug that is going around and she just got it a little worse. Or maybe we just have the same allergy. I still have no idea. It does feel like it is probably from a sinus, but it seems weird that it is just on one side.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Are there dark spots under your eyes?

Old 06-21-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
(male)

phantoap HB User

no my eyes look pretty normal.

Ok, it has been one full month now. I still think this puffy feeling is coming from sinuses on the left side, but maybe that's just because I don't have any other ideas. Lately I will occasionally feel a little sinus aching, but it is mild and will only last a minute or two. If it is swollen sinuses, would that make this sinusitis and can you get this on just one side? Mucus from my nose is always clear and I feel OK other than the swollen feeling. Can you have sinusitis and not feel crappy like you have a cold/flu? I just don't know what to do to combat this. Nasal decongestants seem to have little effect on the swollen feeling. They do help a little with congestion when I have it. Allergies have been normal. I am prone to sneezing fits followed by a brief runny nose. The other eye, my right eye, has been itchy lately, but not so much the left, swollen feeling one.

Last edited by phantoap; 07-13-2005 at 04:51 AM.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:52 AM   #6
(male)

phantoap HB User

Oops, my new post is the post before this one. Like a fool I just edited and added to my most recent post thinking it would also bump the thread. Please read my last post in this thread!

Last edited by phantoap; 07-13-2005 at 04:54 AM.

Old 07-17-2005, 03:25 AM   #7
(male)

phantoap HB User

Lilly, Did you ever get a CT scan when you went to the doctor to check for sinus problems? Or doctor's just decided that sinuses were not the problem without actually looking? I hope we can continue the conversation in allergies as wishful thinking. I am really hoping this is just some strange allergy/sinus thing that is making my eye feel strange and not some awful I don't even know. Man, I hate health anxiety. My other eye seems to be feeling the same way now. Both eyes feel weird and kind of swollen, so it's kind getting worse. Isn't that great?!
Also I love, and I wouldn't be surprised if you have get this too, how everyone I know thinks I'm crazy and just a big baby for worrying about it at all. "Your eye looks fine to me"

Old 07-18-2005, 06:06 AM   #8
(female)

Lilly10 HB User

No I never had a cat scan but I had an MRI (for some other issues) and my doctor said it would show problems in my sinuses if there was any. When I saw my doctor for my MRI results I asked about my sinuses and he said oh they did not really look at them??? So I know my brain is normal but no clue about my sinuses. I tried the irrigation this weekend and that helped alot with my congestion but not sure about my eye. I will continue to do it perhaps it may take a little bit?

For the irrigation I used sodium chloride irrigation 0.9% (I got that from doctors office for unrelated issue a few months ago) at room temp. I had a water syringe that I used to put the solution up my nose. I tilted my head back put the salt water in one nostril then blocked that nostril and put my head forward over my tub. You mentioned that you used a straw I would go get one of those nose/ear spray bottles at the drug store they are rubber with a ball on the end and a thin tip.

You said your other eye feels strage now as well. Does it feel like you left eye or is it a different feeling. Sometimes my other eye will feel "not normal" but it does not have the same feeling as my right eye.

As far as health anxiety it is awful and the smallest thing can become a major disease in your mind. When I first felt this eye feeling I went to my doctor who recomended I get my eye pressure checked for glaucoma! I became a nervous wreck convinced I had glaucoma and that I would go blind. The eye doctor could not see me for 4 weeks. Well I called several other eye doctors and found one that could see me the next day as waiting 4 weeks was not an option for me.

Do you have any other eye vision symptoms since this occured for you??

Old 07-18-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
(male)

phantoap HB User

For a month it was just around my left eye that felt weird, but lately my right eyelid has been twitching a lot and now it feels weird, too. Whether or not it is the same is hard to tell, but it does at least feel similar. It also feels kind of swollen now, but maybe not quite as much and not all the time like my left eye. Maybe the feeling stems from the twitching. My left eyelid was never twitching, though. I would normally attribute the twitching to something like lack of sleep, but I have been getting more than enough sleep.

I don't think I have had any vision problems. My eyesight is good and seems no different since this. I have been getting more headaches lately, generally around the temples and forehead and they can be on either side of my head. Also, for the last two days the feeling around both my eyes has been worse, feeling more pressure around and behind my eyes.

I should add that headaches, pressure/pain feeling, and twitching all come and go, but the swollen left eyelid feeling is the one that is always there

Last edited by phantoap; 07-18-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #10
(female)

Lilly10 HB User

I get the headaches as well in my forehead. Sometimes if I press on my forehead the feeling will linger after I stop pressing. Just like you the headaches will come and go along with a few other symptoms like my jaw hurting, and congestion but the feeling im my eye remains there all the time.

I have done many searches on allergies in one eye on the internet and I cant really find anything like what we have. I was at the dentist and I asked about TMJ as pressure behind one eye can be a symptom I guess, and he said that TMJ is not a black and white issue and you have to try certain things and if that helps then it could be TMJ? He said I have some ware on my teeth perhaps from clenching my jaw but nothing significant. So I have gone down every road there is.

I am going to request some allergy testing. Knowing me they will say that I dont have allergies to anything and the mystery will continue!

Old 07-18-2005, 03:14 PM   #11
(male)

phantoap HB User

Funny you mention TMJ because I've always wondered about that. I don't have jaw pain, but opening my jaw all the way usually makes some soft crunch noises or a sort of click sound. Also for years there has been some weird thing that happens from time to time, usually when I've been sitting around and talking for a long time, where i will get sort of tingling feeling usually on my face and stomach, sometimes hands and my jaw will become difficult to open all the way. If I get up and move around for a while, it goes away. Because of the jaw thing I always wondered if it was in some way TMJ related. It just happens occasionally, though, and is more annoying than painful (and for a long time I thought this was a normal response to fatigue or hunger or something) so I've never mentioned it to or had it checked out by a doctor.
So you were checked for eye pressure from glaucoma and nothing? No vision symptoms for you either? It really does seem like our eye problems are very similar. I think I am going to apply for MassHealth coverage because lack of insurance is starting to make me very anxious as this problem persists.

Last edited by phantoap; 07-18-2005 at 03:15 PM.

Old 07-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #12
(female)

Lilly10 HB User

I am going to start taking clariton D again I guess it can take a couple weeks till full effect. Of coarse I will keep you posted on my on going docotrs visits and let you know what helps if anything.

Last edited by Lilly10; 03-23-2006 at 05:50 AM.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
(male)

phantoap HB User

Well I make even less than that because I just finished colleged and am only working part time (like 12 hrs/week) this summer and then leaving the country by the end of August. So maybe I can get more than just free ER visits... I hope. Actually I am really just hoping this problem goes away before I leave so that I don't have to worry about the quality of foreign health care.

When it was just the swollen feeling eye, that was worrisome, but at least it wasn't painful and I could ignore it most of the time. But now I am getting headaches and some feeling of pressure every day. Usually nothing in the morning, but as the day goes on I develop a mild headache. Is it from my sinuses? Is it tension building throughout the day? Who knows, maybe this really is migraine related, I think my grandmother gets them. But I also know they are supposed to be much less common in males (I am male). 2005 has really been the worst health year ever for me. If you had asked me about health anxiety in 2004, I would have said "nope, not me." The most worrying health-related thing that had happened to me before this year was probably getting wisdom teeth removed. And that was nothing.

Old 07-19-2005, 06:24 AM   #14
(female)

Lilly10 HB User

I notice the more humid it is the worse my headaches get. I am going to try to keep a daily diary and keep track of the pollen counts as well as the humidity and compare how I feel. Today my eye is really bad again and I feel pressure in my forhead and eyelid. My eyelid feels heavy. Today it is so humid here and I can assume in Mass it is humid as well.

I wish someone else would reply to us and tell us that they had the same problem and let us know what they did about it. But looks like it is just us.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
(male)

phantoap HB User

Well since saturday everything has been considerably worse for me and then there was a storm on sunday and another today. Just a correlation, but perhaps (and I'm hoping) the worsened symptoms are related to the weather change which I think would implicate the sinuses. I've been getting aching behind that eye, too, which I really don't like. And sometimes when I turn that eye as far as it goes, I can feel it more, that sort of weird ache I guess. When I wake up everything feels OK other than the swollen feeling, of course. But as the day goes on I get the headaches and ache behind the eye. If it's not from some weather change, then I guess my problem is getting worse. So this is kind of worrying for me right now.

Of course, I can't talk to anyone I know about it because they all think I am making it up and say "it must be from stress, shut up." Just like the other problem I had this year was stress (it wasn't, but everyone I knew said it must be). And everyone knows me to be very laid back and not excitable at all. My mother actually gets very irritated and angry if I mention anything like this. I think because she knows there's nothing anyone can really do right now since I have no insurance. Still it's upsetting that no one believes me and acts as if I am out of my mind because I don't have a history of freaking out over health.

Closed Thread