It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
(female)

GoBarb HB User
wisdom extraction causing sinus infection

Hi,
I'm just wondering if anyone after having their upper wisdom teeth pulled had sinus infection (s) and open communication between their mouth and nose? Yea, that's what I've been dealing with for about 3 weeks now. I guess my upper wisdom teeth roots were so up into my sinuses that after pulling them it has left an openning from my mouth to my nose cavity. Disgusting! Yes, I know. Well, I suffered through most of the first week recovering from all 4 wisdom teeth being pulled at once. I didn't feel great, but I had pain pills, but still I was feeling worse, so I went in for a post op visit, and of course, I had an infection, was given a 7 day supply of (augmenten) antibiotic and told not to blow my nose, do rinse with a saline nose spray, take my allergy medicine hopefully within 2 weeks the hole left after the upper teeth were pulled would heal naturally. Ok, I did that. 3 days off the antibiotic, I felt terrible and I have a fever, I called the oral surgeon's office, left work and went in for another visit - to get another prescription for probably the same sinus infection. Ok, now I'm on a 7 day supply of Keflex-antibotic. I have 3 days left, I feel better, and I think my one side may have healed on it's own. I sure hope the other side does too.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Cinemagic HB User
Re: wisdom extraction causing sinus infection

This condition, called an oral-antral fistula, is a complication of extraction of upper molars, including wisdom teeth. It does not happen very often, but is a recognized risk factor. If you had your wisdom teeth removed by a general dentist, ask him for a referral to an oral surgeon. If you had them removed by an oral surgeon, than make sure that you have regular follow up appointments where he is aware of the condition.

Most of the time, the tissue heals and the fistula goes away. It's just annoying in the meantime and yes, there is the possibility of sinus infections until healing is complete. Sometimes, the dentist will do surgery to correct the defect. This usually involved placing a membrane over the opening and susuring a tissue flap to complete the closure. The oral surgeon will decide when it is time to do surgery to correct the defect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

When my dad had his wisdom tooth done 30 years ago,he needed the surgery because his tooth was pushed all the way up into his sinus cavity. They went up into his sinus and took the tooth out, and then did something called a "Buckle Flap". I think my uncle had a similar problem to yours too. I remember that he had a tooth pulled and he was sucking air between his mouth and his nose after that. He had a flap done too.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

Ok I am confused. What does this mean "he was sucking air between his mouth and his nose after that"..........I had all uppers pulled and my four front were very high up in my sinuses and the infection was all the way up in my forhead,under my eyes the whole nine yards........I was fine after except balance is off and has been since......but isn't it normal for them to have go up in sinuses? They stitched all my openings/holes up..didn't they do that with you guys?

Sorry just confused or if you read other posts I have blonde moments sometimes!!!lol

Take care, good luck!

Chatty

Closed Thread