It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

RockinRobin67 HB User
Question Sinus Infection or Tooth Decay (Absessed Tooth)

Hi! I have been trying to find more information on this topic and haven't been able to find much. I have been having sinus infections for years. When I first started getting them it was maybe one or two times a year. Now I get them about every two to three months. I have 4 molars that are badly decayed. It seems the worse my teeth get the more sinus infections I have. I asked my doctor if it were possible that my teeth are causing my sinus problems. She told me definitely not but that they could be lowering my immune system. I have even wondered if maybe it is possible that it is infections in my teeth and not sinus infections to begin with. I hate dentists and have only gone when I have had to have wisdom teeth pulled. I have made an appointment with the dentist but I am scared to go. I am also afraid that if I don't go things are going to keep getting worse. I feel run down all the time and have gained a lot of weight because I am sick so often I don't feel like doing anything. Within the last few days I have developed a lump under my bottom jaw and a sore in my mouth. My husband gets so upset with me because he says I am always sick. Help!!!

Last edited by RockinRobin67; 09-14-2005 at 06:31 AM.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:05 AM   #2

julia8183 HB User
Re: Sinus Infection or Tooth Decay (Absessed Tooth)

I have had sinus problems and acute dental pain for the last few years, and kept getting told by different dentists "oh its not your teeth, its your sinuses", but i finally saw an oral surgeon and he confirmed that it was definitely was not my sinuses and then i was referred to a nice lady dentist who sent me to an endodontist who confirmed, after investigation, that i did indeed have 3 infected root treated teeth that were irritating my sinuses. I plan to have two of the teeth re root treated and the third (a back molar) extracted. Ive already had one re root treated, and am feeling so much better already.
If your present dentist does not seem to be coming up with a diagnosis/solution to your pain, go see another dentist - i did and it was the best thing I ever did. Check websites for local endodontist in your area, and make an appt to see one asap. he/she will have all the equipment that will help him/her to give a correct diagnosis to your problem, and confirm or eliminate dental problems, as the cause of your pain
good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
(female)

dabner HB User

The lump in your jaw and the sore in your mouth concern me greatly. Your decayed teeth could very well be causing your sinus pain if the decayed teeth are on the top. The root tips of the upper teeth often provide support for the sinus cavity, especially of the cavity is low or the root tips are very long. Sometimes the root tips even go into the sinus cavity and you have a "communication", meaning whatever is infecting the tooth has access to the sinus and vice versa. You are right in saying that not going to the dentist will only make your dental problems worse. There is no reason to be afraid of the dentist. Your decaying teeth are full of infection and bacteria. If your finger were swollen with infection and your skin was falling off you'd be at the ER. Same concept with your tooth, only the enamel is falling off. The infection in your teeth can eventually spread to all of the soft tissue of your head and neck an has the potential to cause serious infections if left untreated. Please see you r dentsit ASAP!!! Good luck, be brave!

Old 09-15-2005, 08:22 AM   #4

julia8183 HB User

draber is so right. my infected teeth have caused me severe headaches, neck pain and earache and ear infections. I have felt like i was being poisoned and could not work or even get out of bed.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I don't care what any dentist says, your teeth are definately related to your sinuses. I had a tooth ache (which I never have) and went to the dentist and found out it I needed a root canal - The tooth was infected.
I had the root canal and 5 days later I got the worst sinus infection I had ever had. six weeks of being dizzy and feeling horrible and two different doses of antibiotics I finally got over it.
Have those teeth of yours taken care of.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
(female)

RockinRobin67 HB User
Unhappy Re: Sinus Infection or Tooth Decay (Absessed Tooth)

Yesterday I had two top molars extracted. After I came home from the dentist I could feel fluid in my ears off and on. This morning I awoke feeling awful with sinus congestion, sinus headache, and my ears hurt. Now I do feel like I have a sinus infection. I know this is gross but I am now coughing up green mucous too. This is crazy because not only did my doctor tell me the teeth had nothing to do with my sinus infections but so did the dentist yesterday. I just don't get it.

Last edited by RockinRobin67; 09-17-2005 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Change in update

Old 11-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #7
(female)

RockinRobin67 HB User
Wink Re: Sinus Infection or Tooth Decay (Absessed Tooth)

I had two molars extracted and haven't had a sinus infection yet and it has been two months now!!!

Last edited by RockinRobin67; 11-09-2005 at 07:35 PM.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:25 AM   #8
Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

i would say you were suffering from the infection, or at least it was brewing in you, prior to your teeth being extracted. i'm sure the extraction didn't cause it.....

by the wya.....how did the extractions go? i have to have my wisdom teeth pulled next friday...the day after turkey day! very nervous

thanks.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

Do you think that they can contribue to sinus infections if they are in the lower teeth? I have many sinus infections, but only get cavities, and had two root canals in the lower teeth. None in the upper.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:37 PM   #10
(female)

CindyR63 HB User

Julia,

So, what kind of work did you have done to help with this? Are you now feeling better? I have several bad teeth on top and just found out that I have 3-4 teeth with roots up into my sinus cavities. I'm very possibly headed for a full upper plate and a partial lower. I have had sinus problems/toothaches?? or a combination of the two for years and just wonder if the sinus stuff will go away?

Thanks,

Cindy

Closed Thread