It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

berryqueen HB User
Question sinus congestion relieved by hot flash

Hello,
I am new to this message board. I found it in a search for this topic.
I am going through perimenopause right now. While I have a history of allergies, my symptoms have gotten alot worse since this perimenopause started. It's to the point where I can't breath through my nose at all. But the strangest thing is that when I get a hot flash, my sinuses clear. I can often tell when I am going to get a hot flash, because one or both of my nostrils opens up before I even feel the hot flash! I actually like getting hot flashes because they are less uncomfortable than this horrid congestion. It only lasts a little while but I get some relief for at least 5 minutes and often it is relieved for longer. My ENT says that this may be because when my estrogen drops and I have a hot flash that the same drop in hormones causes my sinuses to clear. My PCP MD says that it is a normal occurance since the vascular changes associated with hot flashes will shrink or dialate blood vessels in the same way that exercise or orgasm does. I am not making this up! It happens about 20-30 times a day right now. Is there anybody else out there that this happens to?

Old 11-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: sinus congestion relieved by hot flash

Yeah my sinuses too girl! Not only allergies back but so is my Asthma. boy, i wish my hot flashes would clear up my sinuses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
(female)

Brenda East HB User

I thought sure I was the only one with this symptom. My sinuses are so screwed up and you are absolutely right they react to my hot flashes. It started out withthis constant drainage and then that finally stopped after months. And then my left sinus would clog, then the right would do. And, then they would open for a little while. It was unbelievable. I have been dealing with this for almost 8 months. It is starting to improve some now, but no where near gone. Weird, I say.
It's enough to drive you crazy. And, of course, I have never before had any type of allergy problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryqueen
Hello,
I am new to this message board. I found it in a search for this topic.
I am going through perimenopause right now. While I have a history of allergies, my symptoms have gotten alot worse since this perimenopause started. It's to the point where I can't breath through my nose at all. But the strangest thing is that when I get a hot flash, my sinuses clear. I can often tell when I am going to get a hot flash, because one or both of my nostrils opens up before I even feel the hot flash! I actually like getting hot flashes because they are less uncomfortable than this horrid congestion. It only lasts a little while but I get some relief for at least 5 minutes and often it is relieved for longer. My ENT says that this may be because when my estrogen drops and I have a hot flash that the same drop in hormones causes my sinuses to clear. My PCP MD says that it is a normal occurance since the vascular changes associated with hot flashes will shrink or dialate blood vessels in the same way that exercise or orgasm does. I am not making this up! It happens about 20-30 times a day right now. Is there anybody else out there that this happens to?

Old 11-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
(female)

berryqueen HB User

I think somebody should study this phenomenon. With all the people that have sinus and allergies there must be something to this, don't ya think? I have tried everything to help my sinuses with not much success. Do you use the nasal wash? I started using it in the shower. My sinuses clear when I'm in the shower also, so it's a good time to use it. It's funny, most people are trying to avoid hot flashes. I can't say I absolutely enjoy them, I get really sweaty over my nose area, but it guess that is the blood vessels dialating. My sinuses clear when I exercise also (not that I'm an exercise nut! - I actually hate it) but it helps my sinuses. Hey thanks for responding. I appreciate it. Now, at least, we know there is two of us out there!

Old 11-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
(female)

berryqueen HB User

Yeah, I have asthma too. I haven't noticed the hot flashes helping that much though.

Closed Thread