It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
(male)

doglover HB User
Goldenseal For SInus Headaches (Someone posted this before, and I Cannot Find It)

I saw a post awhile back here that someone talked about taking Goldenseal (I think) to cure a sinus infection and help with their headaches.

I think they took more than recommended to start and eventually went down to one pill per day.

I bought some Goldenseal, but wanted to know how much they took, etc...

Anyone have any advice or suggestions with Goldenseal?

Old 11-06-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User
Re: Goldenseal For SInus Headaches (Someone posted this before, and I Cannot Find It)

It does NOT cure your sinus infection, it supposedly stimulates your immune system so your body can cure itself. But do you have bacterial, fungal or viral infection of the sinuses? Anything to help your immune system become stronger will help you overall. Goldenseal is an herb, go to your local HealthFood Nutrition Store and talk to someone there that is experienced. Sinus problems are tough to beat. Don't take more than is recommended on the bottle. There are many other herbs to help as well, and if you want to try something that you can take in higher dose with virtually ZERO side effects (especially short term) buy sodium ascorbate powder and drink 5 to 10 grams per day (distribute so you drink a gram or two every couple of hours).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
(male)

doglover HB User
Re: Goldenseal For SInus Headaches (Someone posted this before, and I Cannot Find It)

Quote:
and if you want to try something that you can take in higher dose with virtually ZERO side effects (especially short term) buy sodium ascorbate powder and drink 5 to 10 grams per day (distribute so you drink a gram or two every couple of hours).
So that will help keep it all clean as well? My doctor said that I have mucuous lining my sinuses. I was hoping to get something to keep it all clean up there.

I have had headaches/sinus trouble for a long time now. I am being treated for migraines, but none of the preventitive stuff has even slowed them down.

The entire time, I have always had sinus trouble as well. So for now, I am willing to try just about anything.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

It's just high dose oral vitamin C. I have read published studies where people voluntarily took 10 grams per day for 2 years with no side effects. I take about 6 grams a day. It is not designed as a cure for everything, but it can really help. Dr. Saul is a huge advocate as are many others in the Medical Profession. Of course there are the naysayers that always say "That's never been proven". And good for them. The nice thing about Vitamin C is it is water soluable (The human body excretes it rapidly so it doesn't build up to toxic levels). Vitaman C recharges other anti-oxidents and has some anti viral capability. Colloidal Silver kills viruses as well. Anyways sodium ascorbate is readily absorbable and very easy on the stomach as it is buffered with sodium. And unless you have a specific reason not to take sodium it's worth trying. The amount of sodium per dose is small. Most people eat 10X more sodium in their food each day.

I read a story published by a Medical Doctor MD who said he used to take about 5 grams per day, and the day he upped to 9 grams was the day his sinue problems stopped.

I use Bronson's Brand (It's hard to find real sodium ascorbate crystal powder in many stores). And you need the sodium ascorbate - not pills. Pure ascorbic acid powder if very hard on your stomach.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
(male)

doglover HB User

Thanks again, I will have to try it out.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

Another real help for me has been the $15 waterpik nasal irrigator attachement. You rinse your sinuses with a saline solution once or twice per day. It is very easy to do and if you mix your solution right it will not hurt at all. It just pumps water in one nostril and out the other.

I mix 1 3/4 teaspoons iodine free salt with half teaspoon baking soda and 15 ounces of water. Be sure to use bottled water (No chlorine or Flouride) and warm it in a container to body temperature.

You can also get Dr. Murray Grossan Nasal Irrigation device. It's just like the WaterPik. Sprays and Neti Pots just don't cut it, you need to irrigate the canal.

I'd estimate my sinus problem at 50% better (but not cured) as a result of nasal irrigation. If you are uncomfortable mixing your own solution you can purchase premixed packets that you just add to your water. Give it a try it will help. I stopped getting nose bleeds after irrigating.

Last edited by notpain; 11-06-2005 at 02:00 PM.

Closed Thread