It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
(male)

Inferit HB User
Is there a way to clear Sinuses without Meds?

The meds for clearing nasal congestion kicks my butt! I get too dizzy and very jittery to a point where I just have to lay down (usually sleep). My friend's Dad told me to sniff salt water... But hes always joking around, me and my friend dont know if hes serious or not..
Hot drinks, spicy foods, and hot showers help for about 20-40 minutes but they just come back. Anyone know of any way to clear a sinus congestion without Meds? Does salt water really work? I would hate to sniff salt water only to see my friends Dad laugh at me.....

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
(female)

radiant_girl HB User
Re: Is there a way to clear Sinuses without Meds?

I have used salt water many times to help clear my sinuses. It's a little uncomfortable, but a lot better than dealing with nasty sinus problems!

I normally make a salt water solution with warm water and either lay back and put it in my nose with an eyedropper or snort it from a bowl. (Snorting seems to work the best for me.) I normally either lay back or hang my head upside down off the bed/couch to let the solution drain into the areas near the forehead.

When you sit up, have kleenex ready, because it usually comes rushing back out. You may have to do this a few times over a few hours or days, but it seems to work pretty well for me. I think besides being good for healing infections, the salt also helps to pull the junk downward.

I've also had luck with filling a large bowl full of boiling water and Ben-Gay, and then sticking a towel over my head and the bowl, and sitting there for a while. Be careful not to burn your face, though.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

The best way I have found is use a Grossan Hydro-Pulse that irrigates your sinus/ nasal cavities. Cost about $100 online

Old 11-18-2005, 08:38 AM   #4
(male)

Inferit HB User

Thanks for the reply!

I'm interested in the salt water but it just seems weird too me. Is it going to hurt when I do it for the first time? Can I do it as many times as I like or will this caouse some problems?

thanks!

Old 11-18-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
(male)

Inferit HB User

SON OF A!!!!
OW OW OW!!

That was horrable! but I think its working....

Man, that is going to be hard to get used too if it helps my sinuses.

I just used regular warm water and regular salt. I think my eyes watered more than my nose. Is this suppose to hurt this much, maybe I used too much salt? I did a trial test with just warm water, that wasnt too bad. So I tried with salt next

Anyways, I'm thankful for the info. Its worth the pain to clear up my nose. I can't beleive how well its working! This is AWESOME, I can BREATH!!

Thanks soooooo much!

Old 11-18-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
(female)

jimmielegs HB User

2% saline solution is recommended, so yu may have used too much salt. I figure you used the snort method because you couldn't have run out and purchased SinuCleanse in the 30 minutes between my last post and yours above, lol.

Truly, it shouldn't hurt. I am glad, however, that it is helping with the congestion.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
(male)

Inferit HB User

Yeah I figured I'd give it a try before I went out and spent more money on meds.

I'm sorry, can u explain to me what you mean by 2% saline solution? I have no idea what that means.

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
The best way I have found is use a Grossan Hydro-Pulse that irrigates your sinus/ nasal cavities. Cost about $100 online
i ve used a syringe for a while for flushing, and like harry stated the hydro pulse is the best way to go, ive had mine for 5 months i use it daily,its great comes with 2 nasel tips,two for the throat, and adjustable pressure settings.i use salt and a pinch of baking powder to cut down the acid in the solution. this thing helps

Old 11-18-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
(male)

Inferit HB User

Hydro-Pulse better work for that price!

Thats just way too much money for me to be spending on my sinus. I dont understand why anyone would spend that much on a sinus congestion. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just go to the doctors and get some sample and maybe a prescription? That might be good for someone with cronic sinus. But for me this is from a virus I had cought about a month ago. I assume it will eventally go away. Its just annoying right now.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

ive tried every steroid spray on the market, allegra, zyrtec, allergy shots, sinus surgery,mri's, ct's a sinus infection every 2 to 3 weeks for years,after i think $12,000 in bills over a ten year time frame a hundred dollar machine was the only thing that helped. mine was cronic had hospital stays ,out of work 36 days the first of this year, 2000mg of augmitten daily for a month??if yours is not a cronic thing a simple baby syringe from the drug store,8oz or warm water no more than 100 degrees,1/2 teaspoon of salt, the key is half as salty as sea water. to much salt will burn and dry out your sinus cavities,"not good"tilt your head and slowly squeeze the solution in,both sides.after your finished dont blow your nose too hard seeing that can cause irritation.flushing clears infection and washes away bacteria on the cilica which is you noses filters. hope this helps

Old 11-18-2005, 11:49 AM   #11
(male)

Inferit HB User

Yeah that helps a lot.

Right now I have had cleared Sinuses for about a couple hours. When should I take some more salt water. Do I just take when needed, like whenever I get congested again? Also i'm concerned this might not be good for me. I read some sites that say not to use regular table salt for the congestion and some sites say its fine to use. I really want to keep using it, seeing how its working well.

Anyways, thx again for all the helpful info everyone!

Old 11-18-2005, 12:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

i have heard of table salt, celtic sea salt, and the otc saline wash.ive always used table salt seemed to do ok.my ent told me to do regular daily flushes, but if im really stopped up to use a 12 otc nasel spray to open them up before flushing.hot rag holding over your sinus area helps, as well as a china method of standing upside down, i wouldnt flush to often no more than twice daily because of the drying affect and not before bedtime because the water can stand in your maxillary cavities in your mid upper cheek area all night, that may cause irritation.after flushing maybe 10 minutes ill hold my head down and let the excess water flow out,i learned that the hard way, had company over one night maybe 20 min after a flushing bent over one of my friends to get something, all over him it went like a faucet. LOL

Old 11-18-2005, 01:26 PM   #13
(male)

Inferit HB User

Ewww lol

Thanks again, i'll use that advice

Old 11-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
(female)

jimmielegs HB User

2% solution is something I got from the SinuCleanse. Even if you want to make it simple and use a bulb syringe.

A bulb syringe is just as effective as the SinuCleanse neti-pot. The only reason to buy the pot is that it comes with pre-measured salt that's ground really fine for easier mixing.

REMOVED

Last edited by moderator2; 11-20-2005 at 06:11 PM. Reason: use product names only - websites are not allowed - please read and follow the posting rules

Old 11-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I discovered this post a bit late, but glad to hear it is helping you. To make a solution that doesn't hurt use 1/2 to1 teapoon of salt to 8 oz of water. Also, to help the sting add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.

Like Jimmielegs said, an ear bulb is a cheap and effective way to get the salt up your nose. But after you get over your infection, just throw it away.
They are difficult to clean, and you don't want mold growth in there.

Closed Thread