It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Angry I can't get rid of my sinus infection!

As the title of the thread says, I can't get rid of my sinus infection.

It started out with a really, really bad cold. It was probably one of the worst colds I have ever had. I had absolutely NO VOICE for about three days. I took decongestants and cold medicine and used Saline nose drops and the cold went away. But a little while after that, probably around the middle of November, I got a sinus infection. I had (HAVE!) a low grade fever (99.2-100.5 by ear, which is not normal for me). My ENT doctor was away for a month. I wound up going to my internist, who gave me Levaquin for 10 days for a sinus infection. I felt better while on it, but it came right back when I was done with the anti-biotic. So he sent me to another ENT doctor. She looked up my nose with an Endopscope (what an ICKY feeling!) She said she could not see an pus, but my sinuses are very inflamed. She said I have chronic sinusitis. She put me on Levaquin for another three weeks and gave me Flonase nasal spray. She also prescribed Normal Saline and told me to get a bulbar syringe (like you use to suction a baby's nose) and wrinse twice a day for 5 minutes in each nostril for 5 days. I did this (maybe I missed one here or there because my head just hurt so bad I couldn't bend far enough over.) It got into my ears, but I was able to use the ear piece from the bulbar syringe to suction it out and my decongestants dried it up. It really, really, really hurt to wrinse my sinuses. I got very severe pain, like a toothache in my right frontal sinus and my nose. But I did it. My sinuses still feel NO better.

To wrap up this long story, I have been on Levaquin since December 3 and I still have 15 days to go. I did the sinus wrinses for five days like I was told. I am using Flonase and taking Zyrtec and Singulair for my allergies. I am taking Guaifenesin (Mucinex) for my congestion. I was tested for allergy shots, but since I am not very allergic to one particluar thing (rather, just moderately allergic to EVERYTHING!) He doesn't want to give me shots. After being on Levaquin for 24 days I still have sinus pressure and a low grade fever.

I am going to call tomorrow and make an appointment with my own ENT doctor just to see what he has to say. I am thinking about doing that sinus flooding that was talked about in another thread here on healthboards. But I need to talk to my ENT doctor about it first and make sure he says it's OK for me. I had sinus surgery when I was a kid (12+ years ago) and I just had my tonsils out in august, so I need to run everything by him first.

Can anybody maybe suggest a different anti-biotic or a different treatment?

I also sleep with a germ-free warm mist humidifier on in my bedroom. My nostrils are very dry and without it I get nosebleeds.

Thanks,
Elyse

Last edited by purple2067; 12-26-2005 at 03:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: I can't get rid of my sinus infection! :mad:

One more thing - I am also really, really, really dizzy and sometimes I black out from the severe sinus pressure. (I've had my eyes checked several times, so it's not from that)

Old 12-26-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

After suffering with what you did (never had the sinus surgeries or the irrigations) for about two years, I got the divine inspiration to go to the dentist (not something I ever really did with any regularity before).

He diagnosed both upper wisdom teeth and the molars next to them as being abscessed. Sometimes abscessed teeth do not show any visible symptoms.

You might want to see if that might be what is doing it to you. My sinus infections would always come back within two weeks of finishing the antibiotics, too, and sometimes the pain would radiate up into my eyes and temples to where even Tylenol would not help.

Old 12-26-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, but my wisdom teeth and molars are long gone. Had them pulled when I was a teenager. I don't have any toothaches, except when I wrinse my sinuses with saline. And I think that's just from the sinus pressure pressing on a nerve. I actually have a dental appointment (just for a cleaning and X-Rays) on January 2nd, so I'll mention the sinus problems to her and see what she says. Happy Holidays!

Old 12-29-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I saw my ENT doctor today and he is sending me for a battery of tests. He's culturing what comes out of my nose and throat when I cough/blow my nose. He's also sending me for a sinus x-ray. He gave me a new kind of sinus rinse to try, and as soon as the test results come back and he knows exactly what kind of germ I am dealing with, he'll change my anti-biotic to something more appropriate. Usually the lab sends him a list of what anti-biotics that particular germ will be susceptible to. I hope this is the end of my sinus problems. He was also really interested to read the healthboards post that I printed out for him about sinus flooding.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
(female)

leslievirgo HB User

the new approved treatment is 750mg of levaquin once a day for 5 days . check with your doctor. it helped me

Old 12-30-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Ok, here is the deal.

You need to get the sinusrinse kit and learn to irrigated your sinuses with the solution they make. Make sure when you irrigate your nose you do it with boiled water/distilled water that is warm(not hot or cold). Do this twice a day and when you do it tilt your head a bit upside down so the solution can get into all the sinuses. Blow the remaining solution out once you irrigate.

This will really help your sinuses.

DO NOT take DECONGESTANTS!! They are a waist of time and will make you worse. Mucinex is ok, but Sudafed and other decongestants are junk. Singular and Zyrtec are good to take together as I do.

I have been dizzy for 2 years and constant sinus infections as well as 3 sinus surgeries. The best advice I can give is don't take a lot of stuff, it can make you worse, especially nose sprays like Nasonex/NasacortAQ. I took Nose sprays and they made my sinuses more inflammed over time. So, ditch them!

Take lots of vitiman C, irrigate, eat right, excercise, and hopefully you will get healthy!

Old 12-30-2005, 04:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks. I saw the ENT dr yesterday and he gave me a sinus rinse kit by NeilMed. I tried to go for an X-Ray today but the X-Ray machine was down so I have to wait until next week. I have actually improved my diet a lot over the past few months. I'm on the Jenny Craig Weight Loss Program, which is very nutritionally sound. I exercise too. I have sinus problems since I was a child.

I am taking Mucinex. I would NEVER take Sudafed, as Pseudophedrine makes me BOUNCE OFF THE WALLS! I also mentioned in my first post that I am taking Singulair and Zyrtec, like you are. It seems I am doing everything I should be, but I've just got a very stubborn case! I am going to get off of the Levaquin as soon as possible. In fact, I think I am going to stop taking it now and just wait until I get my X-Ray and the results of my culture. I have been on it for almost a month and it's done nothing. I am really shocked, because Levaquin ALWAYS works!

Old 01-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Neilmed is the sinusrinse I was talking about. Good stuff! Keep using it often!

Old 01-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad to hear that Halls! I'll keep using it.

Lindaru, I actually went to the dentist today for my 6 month cleaning and x-rays and she said there is absolutely nothing wrong with my teeth. There is no way they could be causing any of my sinus problems, because as my dentist put it, my teeth are perfect! (well, at least *something* about my body should be healthy!)

My ENT dr cultured what I am coughing up and sent it to the lab to see if there is any bacteria. And he sent me for a sinus x-ray but when I went, the machine was broken. So I have to go back on tuesday.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

let us know what it says.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Purple . . . so glad to hear it is not your teeth. You are extremely lucky. Besides myself, I know at least half a dozen other people who had my problem.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

I need to point out that Levaquin (especially 750mg/day) is extremely dangerous. It is linked to a lot of serious, life-altering, adverse reactions. It is NOT an antibiotic. It is a "chemo-theraputic" agent.

I have permanent nerve damage in my elbows from it. I am reminded of this every time I wake up in the middle of the night and I can't feel my hands.

Thousands of people have suffered tendon ruptures, nerve damage, psychosis, etc. from Levaquin. There is even a book about it entitled "Bitter Pills."

So beware. Every time you take it, you are taking a major risk. This risk goes up exponentially when the dosage is increased.

Closed Thread