It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
(female)

Kabobbin HB User
Anyone have severe nasal/sinus congestion due to meds?

Hello,

Is there a blood pressure med that won't cause nasal/sinus congestion? I've been a sinus mess since 10/05 when I was started on Lisinopril/HCTZ (cough & difficulty swallowing plus congestion) and now Cozaar which is an ACE II drug. I am having a heck of a time not being able to breathe through my nose, severe sinus pressure and yucky post nasal drip. I have been taking benedryl round the clock which helps a little, but it causes sleepiness. My husband told me last night I snored like a lumberjack

What makes it bad for me is I feel panicky when I can't breathe out of my nose. Sometimes I simply cannot sleep because I'm so uncomfortable.

Is there any BP med that doesn't cause blood vessels in the nose to expand?- apparently that's what is causing the problem. I had the same thing during both of my pregnancies - lots of congestion due to a similar hormonal thing. I left a message with my doc asking her to please switch me to something else - she comes back from vacation next week.

I am taking prednisone for a stupid condition called polymyalgia rheumatica since 7/05 and that is what caused my BP to skyrocket. Thankfully, that dosage is coming down - now at 5 mg per day and I believe that will decrease to 2.5 mg in 8 weeks. I started weight watchers today and began exercising.

Anyway, sorry to go on so long. Sorry for the whine - guess I'm feeling a bit lonely and frustrated. Does anyone have any tips for me and my stupid nose? Am I the only one all stuffed up? I can't smell smells anymore or taste food. Well, maybe that will help me lose this 20 pounds?

Thanks for reading. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
- Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User
Re: Anyone have severe nasal/sinus congestion due to meds?

My mom took lisinopril/hctz for about four or five yrs and suffered the same symptoms. She at first thought it was a cold, but like you said it just goes on and on. She eventually became allergic to it and was taken off them both. She is now taking clonidine and verapamil.

She cut the verapamil 240mg down to 120 mg and clonidine down to .01 3x daily. Her bp dropped to 130/80. Before when she was taking about six bp meds her bp seemed to climb rathan than drop. Hope you find something that works for you w/o so many side effects.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
(female)

ruth12 HB User

ruth12
I am taking Diovan HCT and have had severe sinus, nothing helps. Benadryl and cough medicine allow a little sleep. I had to stop taking Vasotec because of coughing and sinus. Now my doctor wants me to see an allergist. ENT doctor says she doesn't think it is allergy. This has been going on for almost a year and am exhausted.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #4

baysidegal HB User

I don't know why you have stayed on this stuff so long. My Doc recently perscribed Lipinsol. within days I was stuffed up, mucous in the back of the throat where I could barely talk in the evening. I'm a realtor and a scrapbook consultant...yea, right ask me not to talk! Then my face started to swell by my ear and a large swelling on the top of my head. Went to the Doc..he took me off med gave me some antibiotics...gave me some Diovan and the mucous started all over again. I HAVE STOPPED THIS MADDNESS.
nOW Looking for a more natural path to take..these meds are stupid!

Old 05-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
(female)

jdchablis HB User

Very interesting to hear others have had nasal/sinus trouble due to bp medication! I have been on Atenolol (beta blocker) since January 06. Had some mild sinus trouble in the past, but only every now and then, and ear infections now and then. Since I have been on the Atenolol, I have severe pressure in the head (almost like someone squeezing my head), severe ear infection, and a very sore neck on both sides, right below the ears. Went to an ear, nose, throat man and he cleaned my ears and put me on drops. Felt better for three days, but now pressure is back and neck is very, very stiff. My family doctor says the bp meds shouldn't be causing this trouble. But, I am really beginning to believe it all stems from the Atenolol, and I am sorry I even began taking it. My bp ranges in the 140/80 ish area, sometimes going to 150/90 ish. My local pharmacist tells me that the doctors make too much out of bp these days, and says my range is not all that bad. He said the doctors like to help the drug manufactors sell their products! Wonder how true this might be. It is hard to know what to believe; all I know is I feel terrible and it is runing my life at this point as I am afraid to go anyplace or do anything anymore! Any comments would be appreciated; I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
(female)

maru HB User

I took myself off coversyl on April 13, my cough is subsiding, but I have the swelling lymph nodes and throat, and I clear my throat all the time. I believe the BP meds caused this.

Since we have up to 10 different BP readings an hour I'm not overly concerned the my blood pressure ranges from the 120's to 140's during the day. I don't want to go back on meds, I have so many side effects that are still bugging me and I'm still trying to convince the Dr. of them.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

ebrown, if your neck is stick and you sometimes get a sore throat, I would suggest you speak to your dr asap. My mom had that problem on torproxl xl and it turned out to be a major problem for her. the ER dr. said she wasn't getting oxygen in the cartiod (sp?) muscle or something lke that. Also with lisinopril my mom had that throat closing and that is a sign of "allergic reaction." Of course, doctors dont tell you that, but I took my mom to the ER when that happened and she was taken off lisinopril immediately.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
(female)

skeeter7 HB User

I too am on diovan and my sinus problem is driving me crazy. I don't have allergies or other reasons for such congestion. I can barely breath through my nose and sometimes it bleeds. I am going to ask my doctor to change meds at my next visit. I don't find benadryl or anything else to be helpful at all.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

The only thing my mom has find to help with the sinus problem (med induced) is the Vicks sniffer. Nothing else has worked for her sinus, and she won;t take decongestants bcuz it could interfer with her bp meds.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Anything is possible , I had this problem when i took statins for cholesterol . I don't mean minor stuffiness either at almost all times one side of my nostrils was completely shut off and I could get no air thru it , that amazingly stopped when I stopped statins along with numerous other side effects...

Old 05-31-2006, 04:45 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

All we can do is to find the offending agent and stop it. When wee are taking a fistful of pills it gets hard but we have to check them by stopping one at a time. If the symptom goes away and then comes back when the drug is restarted, then that's the one. We must get a replacement for it unless it is the only thing that will help our condition. Remember with BP meds, stopping any of them for a week to check if symptoms stop isn't apt to do any damage unless we are running around with a systolic over 200.

Allergeies can be goofy. I have very very few nasal allergies but if I have ONE SIP of a Manhattan, something in the couple drops of Bitters immediately shuts my sinuses and I must breathe through my mouth for an hour or more. I know the feeling is hateful.

Kabobbin,
Usual reaction to lisinopril is coughing from an allergy-like reaction involving prostaglandins and the more serious angioedema which is swelling of lips, face nose and throat. It sounds like a natural companion of this kind of reaction might well be swelling of the nasal sinuses.
For safety's sake, if I were you I'd stop taking the drug until I could see my doctor. If your throat closes too, then you are in deep doo-doo...not worth the risk. Just tell him you think you might be suffering angioedema...that oughta do it!

Last edited by Lenin; 05-31-2006 at 04:58 AM.

Closed Thread