It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
(male)

van7771 HB User
Sinus Problems and Thyroid/Adrenals?

Is there a connection with the adrenal glands and sinus problems, my throat is very irritated and my ears hurt. I have been to the ear,nose and throat doctor who tells me that everything looks fine except l have drainage in my throat and l have buildup in my sinuses. I notice and several times a year my throat becomes very irritated and my ears will hurt, this is usually when l feel the worst. Is there a connection between this and the Thyroid or Adreanl Glands?
Also my vision gets bad and my eyes burn, not sure what thats all about?

VAN

Old 01-25-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Sinus Problems and Thyroid/Adrenals?

I don't know about adrenals, but low thyroid can cause chronic sinus congestion/infection. That's because insufficient thyroid hormone slows the entire body down, including mucus clearance. Stagnant, thickened mucus sets up a zone where bacteria flourish. Ergo, sinus infection.

I'm not as sure about the mechanism of thyroid influence on the eyes, but it can too. When my levels were low, I had photosensitivity, dryness and burning. I still have some degree of photosensitivity... but I attribute that to aging. The dryness and burning have all but disappeared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
(female)

clueless42 HB User

I was having back to back sinus infections and my PC kept giving me anibiotics but I kept getting sick. So, I decided to see an allergist and he was the one who diagnosed a thryoid problem. I have Hashi's. I notice when I'm tired, I'm also congested! I'm still woking on the right dose for me but I think siunus and thyroid are definitely related. About the ears...thyroid can aslo cause muscle aches, I get jaw and ear pain from muscles. I get alot of "trigger point" spasms and when they are released the pain goes away.
Hope this helps!
Peggy

Old 01-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
(female)

shars HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
...That's because insufficient thyroid hormone slows the entire body down, including mucus clearance. Stagnant, thickened mucus sets up a zone where bacteria flourish. Ergo, sinus infection...
Thank you for posting that. I have rather gross problem that I've always blamed on whatever (a cold, runny nose, post nasal drip, scar tissue post surgery-whatever was at hand) I didn't even think to blame that on thyroid. It helps when all the facts come together!

Along those same lines, does anyone notice that it takes forever to get over even a simple cold? I used to recover from stuff in just 3 or 4 days. NOW, day 4 is still just the beginning.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
(male)

van7771 HB User

Thanks for you replys

I have a throat that is always bothering me, its not sore but very irritated, l cant even yell without it bothering me, l get alot of food caught in the throat. My thyroid labs they say are in the normal range. I have posted those labs several times on previous threads. I have been taking cytomel 5mg for the past 5 months and have felt worse so l am thinking of stopping the cytomel but dont know where to go from here, l went to a ear/nose/throat doctor that wants me to take some allergy tests. I know that my adreansl are fatigued but could they really be causing me to go crazy?

VAN

Old 01-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
(male)

van7771 HB User

Bumping me up.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:41 AM   #7
(female)

jdn5764 HB User

I find this very interesting. As last year I saw an ENT specailist here in the UK. when I asked him if thyroid can affect sinuses, he just laughed in my face and usherred me away.

My Gp here in the UK keeps saying that my levels are normal. But after reading so many reports on here I don't think a TSh level of 2.68 (well it was in Oct 2004 0- had other tests since but GP won't give results). Isn't normal to me.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
(male)

van7771 HB User

I believe the Throid can cause these problems the questions is how do you fix it, when l take synthroid, levoxyl or cytomel l feel worse?

VAN

Old 01-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #9
(female)

jdn5764 HB User

All I had done was a camera roughly pushed up my nose, as I was sat close to a wall everytime he pushed the camera around he banged my head agaist the wall. Gave me some nose spray which in turn burnt all the inside of my nose.

Was due to go back in December but cancelled as I didn't want to be treated or non treated like that again.

The problem here in the Uk is that the Dr's aren't so hot on tsh levels like they are in the States.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
(male)

van7771 HB User

Sorry you went through that, sounds like the US, nobody understands the endocrine system here. Anybody else with any insight?

VAN

Old 01-29-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I don't remember any of your story, but ~
If you are genuinely hypothyroid and can't tolerate any of the products that will correct it, you must have your doctor investigate adrenal insufficiency. All of the thyroid meds' prescribing information states that adrenal insufficiency must be treated before thyroid replacement can be initiated. It's right there in black and white for any doctor to read. Only the smartest MDs will understand it, though, and know what to do about it.
Adrenal insufficiency can be remedied with a low dose of corticosteroid, like Cortef. That's really all I know about the subject of adrenals, though.

Switch doctors if yours believes - as so many do - that adrenal trouble can't include less severe degrees of insufficiency rather than only complete failure such as that in Addison's disease.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #12
(male)

van7771 HB User

I do have adrenal fatigue according to a saliva test, but when l tried cortef the same thing happened with cortef that happened with the thyroid meds. I guess one question l have is could my nodule be causing this?

Old 01-30-2006, 05:59 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi Van,
I am not sure if your nodule could be causing your problems, however, I think my nodules caused earache and sore throat. Mine was very mild, however, and I decided since my one nodule was so large I should have a TT as my last surgeon recommended. I didn't want it to get worse and the FNA told us nothing. So, now I am waiting for the Path report.

Closed Thread