It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
Sinus surgery

I posted a similar one on the anxiety board, but I'm hoping here I can get some first hand experience.

I have a severly deviated septum, my turbines are too large, my sinuses are clogged and a few other things, so I have to get a septioplasty along with unclogging of the sinuses and fixing the turbines. On nasal passage is huge and the other is nearly non-existant resulting in chronic sinusitis. I'm having it done on March 3, but this will be my first surgery (aside from wisdom teeth removal) and I have to stay overnight at the hospital. Has anyone had this done, how much pain is there and where there any times you woke up during the surgery? That is my biggest fear, waking during the surgery, because I have a really high tolorance to sleep meds and xanax, so that is a big concern for me.

Thank you for your time and respone

Old 02-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Re: Sinus surgery

If you wake up during the operation, then the anesthesologist majorly screwed up his job-no one shoud ever wake up during an operation. I have been on sleeping pills for years and also have a high tolerance to sleep meds, but anesthesia is WAY different than sleeping pills. They know how much to give you based on your weight and the meds you take. If you were to wake up, which I am sure will NOT happen, then just put you right back to sleep.

The recovery is about a week, you will have tubes and packing in your nose, and you will pretty much sleep all week because of the pain killers. Don't do anything but sleep, and do NOT lift anything heavy for a month or you will get nose bleeds. Don't even think about taking a shower for atleast 5 days because I tried and nearly passed out in the shower! The pain is only bad after you first wake up, and then they give you pain med. After that, with painkillers, the pain is minimal. It does hurt when the packing is taken out, but that only lasts 4 seconds.

Just a warning: I had sinus surgery and deviated septum surgery and now, 5 years later, I am having problems again, so I don't think the surgery is permanent. However, if you are having a lot of problems and are miserable, the surgery is worth it. I had a sinus infection so bad for over a year that I could not breathe out of my nose at all, had to sleep sitting up with my mouth open, had pain, insomnia, depression, ect. Even if there is only a 50% improvement it is worth it.

Have you tried sinus irrigation?? You might want to ask about that.

Why do you have to stay overnight in the hospital? It is ususally outpatient surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Thank you so much for your informed response, it really made me feel a lot better.

I have been having issues with insomnia, so I am *SO* glad to hear that the anesthia will do its job. I know it will.. but just scary as hell for me.

I'm not sure why they want me to stay overnight, maybe because of the length of the procuder, or the fact that they're expecting to have to give me a big dose of anesthia. I guess it won't be that bad...only overnight... but on a Friday.. blah!

I know you said that you couldn't shower, but what about baths? Were the pain meds good, as in that you don't really feel anything or were you still in pain afterwards?

Thank you again

Old 02-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Hi,

I know anesthesia is scary. In fact, in scares me more than surgery in a lot of ways.But remember that thousands of people undergo anesthesia every day without complication. I have been under about 5 times (once for surgery, the rest when I have endoscopic exploratory procedures to look into my stomache, and a colonoscopy) and never had any complications and never woke up during surgery..and I am VERY resistent to sleeping pills.

Make sure you tell your doctor ALL the medications AND vitamins/minerals/supplements you take, and inform him/her of any medical conditions you have.

Your surgeon AND the anesthesiologist will come out and talk you before the procedure. And both of them stay with your the entire time to monitor you while you are under.

Baths are OK-I took one on the third day. But don't try taking a shower-the pain meds make you really disoriented and dizzy. You will be so tired for the first 5-6 days you won't even care about a shower anyways.

You will have packing and I think tubes/stints in your nose-and I had a little string tapped to my face (which really itched!) where it was attached to the packing.

I honestly don't remember very much pain during that week I was so drugged up As long as you take the pain meds on schedule, the discomfort will be minimal and you will be asleep most of the time anways so you won't be able to feel the pain.

I believe I was on the pain meds for 3 weeks after the packing was removed and after that I felt great!!

Best of luck.

Last edited by Natalie00; 02-12-2006 at 08:20 PM.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

thank you so much! It's really relieved my fears about the surgery. Now I just want it over and done with lol

And I have heard that sometimes the problem comes back, but like you said, if it fixes it for only 5 years and I have to get it done again, so be it... that will be 5 years of better breathing!

Old 02-13-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Well I'm having the operation in about two weeks and I'm starting to get a cold. I've been sneezing all day and felt mildly warm temp wise. What happens if it turns into a sinus infection? Should I just grin and bear it and not go on antibiotics because the surgery is so soon? Or if it does turn into it, should I go/call my ENT? Or just my GP? Thanks

Old 02-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Hi again,
I would all your ENT. If you are sick, I woudn't have surgery until you are healthy again. This surgery takes a lot out of your body. Did the antibiotics even help your past sinus infections? I imagine not if you are having surgery??
Call your ENT and tell him whats up, you might want to reschedule. I would try and wait until mid March until the flu season is getting over, but that's just me...

Old 02-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I've never had the flu *knock on wood* I realized that I was sneezing more because I hadn't been using my humidifier. And thus far it's helped, so maybe it was just that. And good point, they antibiotics didn't work lol. Thanks for your advice. What out for posts specifically for you after the surgery, you know your stuff! And I thank God for it!

Old 02-14-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

I know your surgery will go just beautifully, and that you will feel sooo much better afterwards. It IS worth it. Just make sure to take it easy the week after. Let me know how it goes! I am actually considering having some more work done on my left side, but am going to see if nasal irrigation will help instead.

Good Luck

Old 02-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Thank you so much for your kind words, I can use all the good thoughts I can get!

I'm actually doing a lot better about the surgery. I bought myself a new tv and dvd/vcr player so I'm all set up for when I come back home.

Is it okay to keep my himalyan cat here while I recover, or should I have her stay with family? She's very shy, docile and gentle. I just know that normally when I am sick she wants to be there...but she is also well trained and will go to her bed when we ask her to (with the tempting of treats lol)

Thanks

Old 02-14-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
(female)

KerryT HB UserKerryT HB User

I just went through this surgery last week, so I understand your anxiety. I have also had other surgeries and Natalie is right -- anesthesia is safe and you will not wake up during it. My husband told me later that the doctor told him I had a coughing fit while I was under, and they had to 'paralyze' me in order to stop the coughing and continue surgery. I thought that was weird and never heard of it.

But anyway they take such good care of you, and nurses are at your side as you wake up. I was given Demerol for pain in the IV, then Darvocet for pain at home. Its been 6 days since the surgery, and I'm just taking ibuprophen for pain. The pain is from a sore throat and ear aches. I should also mention during surgery you'll have a breathing tube inserted -- this is removed before you wake up, but it left sores in my mouth and they became raw over the next few days. I wasn't able to eat anything without my mouth burning, so I had to eat only bland baby food, jello, and ice cream for a couple days. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Kerry-sounds like every kid's dream--- only ice cream lol.

I've heard that it's hard to eat afterwards and to eat all my favorite foods before the operation.

That's kinda freaky about the coughing and them having to paralyze you, but I'm glad to hear you don't remember any of it. Did they keep you overnight? Most say it's an outpatient procedure, but I have to stay overnight.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I called my ENT today about my sinus pain and he ordered two weeks of augmentin for me so that the infection is gone by then. I hate taking more meds, but it's gotta get better at least for a few days to get it done.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #14
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizliz
Thank you so much for your kind words, I can use all the good thoughts I can get!

I'm actually doing a lot better about the surgery. I bought myself a new tv and dvd/vcr player so I'm all set up for when I come back home.

Is it okay to keep my himalyan cat here while I recover, or should I have her stay with family? She's very shy, docile and gentle. I just know that normally when I am sick she wants to be there...but she is also well trained and will go to her bed when we ask her to (with the tempting of treats lol)

Thanks
twizliz,
I had my deviated septum and turbs done on 2/10/2006 and the doc found a bone spur to boot! I had no problems with the sinus part of the surgery. (see post under toncillectomy at 45) As far as the surgery is concerned, these made #13!! I promise they take great care of you and are there to help you. If your pain is bad at any time, be sure and tell them. They will call the doc if necessary, for more pain meds. I'll put you in my prayers. You'll do just fine.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Thank you for your kind words

Closed Thread