It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

kmansmama HB User
Sinus infection and meds are'nt helping.......

Just curious to find out has anyone ever had a sinus infection and the meds ur DR. prescribed didnt seem to help much?

I started taking antibiotics and a Decongestant on monday, I had the worst sore throat with earaches and facial pain in my life. The pain is not as intense but I still I have a slight sore throat. Any advice or suggestions as to what I should do next are greatly appreciated.

KM~

Old 02-17-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
(male)

Tranzwarp HB User
Thumbs up Re: Sinus infection and meds are'nt helping.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmansmama
Just curious to find out has anyone ever had a sinus infection and the meds ur DR. prescribed didnt seem to help much?

I started taking antibiotics and a Decongestant on monday, I had the worst sore throat with earaches and facial pain in my life. The pain is not as intense but I still I have a slight sore throat. Any advice or suggestions as to what I should do next are greatly appreciated.

KM~
Hi, KM. You are on the right path. I've had chronic sinus infections for years.
Many times, I've had to take the full course of antibiotics before I really felt better. It's probably just a hardy infection, so hang in there. I have found that using a saline nasal spray helps a bit. I might also suggest placing a hot, moist wash cloth or towel right on your face. I always have the most pain behind my cheek bones (maxillary sinus), and this does seem to help. Avoiding a lot of sugary drinks and dairy can help as well. Try to drink as much water as you can...it really helps to thin out the mucus, which helps things drain properly.

I even had surgery in 2001 for sinus problems, so I understand where you are coming from.

Please post a reply when you are feeling better. Hopefully, it won't be much longer.

Good luck -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Re: Sinus infection and meds are'nt helping.......

My doctor tells me to call when the Anti-biotics aren't working after a few days. Last time that happened, I called and get another anti-biotic and was good to go. :-)

Old 02-17-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
(female)

kmansmama HB User

Thanks Tranzwarp and Midget for responding.....I'm actually starting to feel better so hopefully the meds are working. Later on tonight, when I'm lounging around I'm going to try the warm towel idea and see if it helps. I agree, that it probably was a really nasty infection so it's going to take sometime to get over it. If anything changes I'll let you know. Have a good weekend!

KM~

Old 02-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I agree with all the others. Also the sore throat is a sign it is working at least somewhat. Your throat is so b/c sinus drainage is irritating it.

Old 02-19-2006, 02:03 AM   #6
(female)

kmansmama HB User

Well I'm back again...thought this weekend was going to go better but yesterday evening until now the pain in my throat has gotten worse I'm really bummed about it! It doesnt seem like anything is working, all the home remedy tricks have made it worse. My throat hurts so bad I cant sleep and monday is the last day for my antibiotics

Old 02-20-2006, 05:22 AM   #7
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

I'm sorry you are still feeling bad! I hate getting sinus infections and I get them quite frequently. The pain in your throat and ears is probably due to the pressure from the sinus infection but only a doctor can say for sure. What kind of an antibiotic did they put you on? I think I have had a sinus infection that has never totally gone away since Christmas so I can relate...I really just want to pull out my hair. What did they instruct you to do for decongestants? When I have gotten really bad, which is often, my doctor has always preferred to put me on Sudafed (2 of them) every 4 hours without failing to take it. Sometimes your body just needs a lot of decongestant to get it all out of there. You have to be careful and clear this with your doctor though because some people with high blood pressure etc. should not take this. What kind of discharge have you had? Have you actually blown any green out yet etc.? Isn't it nice that sick people can talk about all kinds of things and just not get grossed out!!

Sometimes I do apply hot washclothes on my forehead or take hot showers which help somewhat. Peppermint oil rubbed lightly on my forehead above my eyes (don't get too close or it could burn your eyes) also helps to releive the pressure and open up my sinus cavities. My chiropractor sometimes applies direct pressure to my sinus cavities which helps. I do this myself by taking a finger (usually my thumb) and apply pressure (usually with my other hand in a fist over the first hand with the thumb pressing on the first hand as hard as I can). You have quite a few sinis cavities but the main pressure points are usually in your eyebrows and right below your eyes (almost on your orbital bone directly under your pupil). If you take your thumb (do not poke yourself in the eye LOL ) and apply extreme pressure like I described it will start to open up the sinus cavity and release pressure. This may hurt like you can't even beleive but if you work through the pain by breathing deeply and resist the urge to pull away it will start to release! My chiropractor has actually had people that their nose will start to run while doing this!

Hope some of this helps and you start to feel better soon. If you are not better in a couple days you shoudl probably see your doctor for a different kind of antibiotic!

Old 02-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

You need to go back to the doctor. The antibiotics are not strong enough for your infection, and the infected mucus that is draining has now iprobably infected your throat.

Advil will help the throat pain in the meantime.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
(female)

kmansmama HB User

Thanks again for the replies! It does help alot when u can talk to other people who have had or are experiencing the same problems as you....it makes things alot easier

My Dr had me on an antibiotic named ERY-Tab....My sister in-law who is a nurse was surprised I didnt have an allergic reaction from it, she said that alot of people are allergic to that antibiotic. I'm still taking my decongestant, Amitex my Dr prescribed. Twice a day.

But what really bugs me is that my Dr is on vacation this week and the Dr who is covering for her won't give me anymore antibiotics until tomorrow (wed) I called early monday morning and he said that I should give it a few days!! I thought it would be better to continue on the meds while it's still in your system then to stop and start again?? I know they dont want to "over prescribe" the whole antibiotic thing but it doesnt seem right

So basically I've tried to take everyones advice and drink alot of water, use warm washcloths on my face, take longer showers (which I already do ) and I've been sucking on spearmint cough drops which really help alot.

Hi.....MandyPandy to answer your other question....I have had some really nasty stuff come out but in the last couple of days nothing. I'm going to try what your chiropractor has been doing and see if that gives me any relief from the pressure under my eyes....To me all you, are the experts since this is the 1st time I've had a really bad sinus infection and I'm kinda clueless to as to what I should do.

Thanks again...

KM~

Old 02-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

wow I would call back and complain. You first posted this on the 16th so its been way more than "a few days" sometimes you have to really be firm and say, "hey its already been 6 freakin' days! My Rx is almost completed! Sometimes doctors lose track of time and think they just saw you yesterday, when it's been much much longer.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #11
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmansmama
Thanks again for the replies! It does help alot when u can talk to other people who have had or are experiencing the same problems as you....it makes things alot easier

My Dr had me on an antibiotic named ERY-Tab....My sister in-law who is a nurse was surprised I didnt have an allergic reaction from it, she said that alot of people are allergic to that antibiotic. I'm still taking my decongestant, Amitex my Dr prescribed. Twice a day.

But what really bugs me is that my Dr is on vacation this week and the Dr who is covering for her won't give me anymore antibiotics until tomorrow (wed) I called early monday morning and he said that I should give it a few days!! I thought it would be better to continue on the meds while it's still in your system then to stop and start again?? I know they dont want to "over prescribe" the whole antibiotic thing but it doesnt seem right

So basically I've tried to take everyones advice and drink alot of water, use warm washcloths on my face, take longer showers (which I already do ) and I've been sucking on spearmint cough drops which really help alot.

Hi.....MandyPandy to answer your other question....I have had some really nasty stuff come out but in the last couple of days nothing. I'm going to try what your chiropractor has been doing and see if that gives me any relief from the pressure under my eyes....To me all you, are the experts since this is the 1st time I've had a really bad sinus infection and I'm kinda clueless to as to what I should do.

Thanks again...

KM~
We all feel for ya b/c sinus infections aren't kind. Hopefully when you see him he will give you a better antibiotic (augmentin, tecquin, ketek, levoquin, avalox). They have been the only ones to help me that my ent gave me but you will hear good and bad about them. But it can't be any worse than letting some nasty sinus infection stick around. Do you have allergies? That's what caused mine, but Im seeing a naturepath to get to the bottem of it, hopefully!

Also, you can buy Neil Med sinus rinse or neti pot at pharmacies which is like 100 regular saline sprays combined. This will loosen and remove thick globs of mucus; this is a godsend for me, especially in the mornings when I feel at my worst. I really say "ahhh" everytime i use it. This was the best advice my ent ever gave me, and it's not even more medicine --which makes me happy.

Closed Thread