It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

wrenegade HB User
Natural help for pollen allergy/draining sinuses?

Hello there,
I need some help with this yucky stuff. I don't have the running nose/itchy eyes.

What I do have is thick drainage down the back of my throat that makes me quite nauseated at times. The oak trees are in bloom here in SW Florida.

I am taking a liquid supplement by Buried Treasure called Allerease that works "somewhat" but I am wondering if anyone else has discovered anything that will stop this drainage.

My diet is good -- vegan, no gluten--, but I am on oxycodone for chronic back pain. I got really constipated and had to do some enemas along with my usual herbal laxatives, but I still have this miserable drainage.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

wren

Old 03-14-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Natural help for pollen allergy/draining sinuses?

Try something to wash the nasal passages out a few times per day, esp. after you've been outdoors. A neti pot (find at health food store) or a personal steamer (loosens secretions) can be helpful. While thinner secretions can translate to 'more' for a brief period of time after a cleansing, there will usually be less total throughout the day.

Reduce your exposure to the allergens as much as possible. If you have forced air, make sure the ducts are clean, and use a HEPA filter on your furnace. A portable HEPA unit w/99.7% efficiency, for small rooms like bedrooms & offices, can be purchased for less than $100 & these are worth their weight in gold. There is no substitute for avoidance of exposure to allergens.

You are vegan so no dairy, right? That's helpful. If you feel your allergies have morphed into sinusitis, (not uncommon, allergies mess up the immune system) you might look into an anti-Candida diet.

Sometimes people suffer exceptionally from allergies if sulfur is low in the diet. That's onions, garlic, or if you want a supplement, MSM will give you both sulfur & methyl groups.

Quercetins are nutrients (also found in onions) that can be helpful in quelling the allergic response.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Wren,

Someone on the Allergy HealthBoard just posted yesterday I think about their success using an L-glutathione (an amino acid) solution to irrigate the sinuses & clear sinusitis. Another member tried it out & also had good success.

You could always pop over there & read about it.

Best wishes.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
(female)

nikib5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmhar
Try something to wash the nasal passages out a few times per day, esp. after you've been outdoors. A neti pot (find at health food store) or a personal steamer (loosens secretions) can be helpful. While thinner secretions can translate to 'more' for a brief period of time after a cleansing, there will usually be less total throughout the day.
Hello,
I can vouch for the Neti pot. I started using one in December and haven't had to take any sinus or allergy medicine since! I'm amazed, but happy. I don't have the post nasal drip anymore. At first the concept of it seems kind of gross, but I quickly got over that. I'll be interested to see if it helps my spring/summer allergies at all.

Good luck to you!

Niki

Old 03-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmhar
Wren,

Someone on the Allergy HealthBoard just posted yesterday I think about their success using an L-glutathione (an amino acid) solution to irrigate the sinuses & clear sinusitis. Another member tried it out & also had good success.

You could always pop over there & read about it.

Best wishes.

That was me! I've been irrigating for years, and never had as much success as I have with the L-glutathione.

Other things you can do is take N-acetyl cysteine. It is a natural mucus thinner and will thin out your PND. Also many people don't realize, but Nasalcrom nosespray is synthetic quercetin, and it works great for allergies when you use it regularly throughout the day. Taking quercetin orally with Vit C also helps. Source Naturals has a great formula with Vit C and magnesium and bromelain, all things that help reduce inflammation in the body. Eating fish or taking Omega-3 fatty acids helps some too.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

IQAIR - swiss made filtration systems - spendy and worth it. I irrigate with a waterpic attachment, saline solution and sometimes an herbal blend. Wear a dustmask outside if it helps. Get checked for chronic sinusitis - so you will know for sure what your up against

Old 03-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

where can I purchase L-glutathione solution for irrigation?

Old 03-22-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notpain
where can I purchase L-glutathione solution for irrigation?

Vitamin Stores like GNC and Vitamin World will have it. I used 250 mg in 16 oz of irrigation solution.

Closed Thread