It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
(male)

NHBFAN HB User
Boss doesn't feel sinusitis is a valid reason to miss work

I feel awful.

What do you think?

Old 03-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Boss doesn't feel sinusitis is a valid reason to miss work

NHBFAN,

Considering the creative excuses that people come up with for missing work, if you're missing work frequently your boss has no reason to believe that you have a legitimate reason for not going in.

Do you bring in doctor's notes at least some of the time, to show that you do indeed have an ongoing problem?

Do you have the opportunity to "make up" the time you lose when you are sick? Some jobs require people to be there at specific hours (restaurant work, health care, telephone answering, etc) and it creates a hardship on the business when someone suddenly calls in sick just before their shift starts. If this happens regularly, you cannot expect your boss to just take your word for it that you feel lousy and cannot work -- the business suffers and your boss ain't going to like it. In these kinds of jobs even offering to make up the time isn't going to help your boss because there are too many times when an important job position isn't covered.

I'm not making light of your genuine suffering. I'm merely pointing out why your boss may not take too kindly to your calling in sick. You may need to bring in some "proof" from a doctor or clinic to show that you have a legitimate excuse, and you're not just taking a day (or days) off for shopping, visiting with friends, watching a big sports event on tv, a trip to somewhere more pleasant than work, etc. Lots of people lie about being sick -- you will need to find some way to convince your boss that you are being honest. And even then, if your frequent absence creates too great a hardship on the business, he's still not going to look kindly on your situation.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Rheanna has made some very good points. Doctor's notes are always a good idea.

If this is a one time thing, and you usually never miss work, I'd tell your boss to shove it, and get a doctor's note if you have to. Who is he to say how bad you feel?

If this is a chronic thing, how much work have you missed? If it is a lot, then you need to emphasize to your doctor that your sinusitis is interferring with your work. Remind the doctor how long it has been going on. They often read just the tops of the charts and forget how much time has truely passed. If you are dealing with just a regular doctor, you need to get a referral to an ENT as soon as possible. If you haven't done so, you are long overdue for a CT scan of your sinuses, and perhaps allergy testing. You might need surgery or allergy shots to resolve this.

As far as your boss goes, he makes me angry. Obviously, he has never had to deal with sinus problems. A nicer person would say they wouldn't wish it on their worse enemy. I guess I'm not that nice. My sister called me a whiner for years, until our family history finally caught up to her and she developed allergies and sinsus problems. Instead of sympathy, I felt vindicated.

If it is a chronic problem, tell your boss that you are really ill, and even though you have been given a diagnosis of sinusitis you are looking into other diagnosis because you truely feel horrible. You don't actually have to do that, just make him think that you are doing that. For someone like him, who thinks sinsusitis is no big deal, that will impress upon him that your situation is serious.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 03-15-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:16 AM   #4
(male)

Erdrick HB User

If you aren't in the hospital, then you need to be at work. That is the bottom line. You aren't a child. Try to act a little bit more like a grown-up. If I were your boss I would fire you. If your illness is not transmittable to others then you owe it to your company to show up for work.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick
If you aren't in the hospital, then you need to be at work. That is the bottom line. You aren't a child. Try to act a little bit more like a grown-up. If I were your boss I would fire you. If your illness is not transmittable to others then you owe it to your company to show up for work.

What a load of crap! Just because he isn't contagious ,doesn't mean he is in any shape to go to work. There's no reason why he can't take a sick day or 2 when recovering from an acute sinus infection. That's what they're for.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 03-21-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
(female)

Tjay718 HB User

Yeah. I agree with sneezydiva. That was kind of shallow endrick. Allergies and sinus probelms are very serious. You can't concentrate on anything when your constantly sneezing or drowsy. I just wish people knew how it feels to have allergies. It feels horrible

Old 03-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
(female)

Afterglow HB User

One thing that's understandably irritating to bosses is that some employees don't seem to take any responsibility for trying to stay healthy. I have allergies and have a tendency to have sinus infections. If I don't take my allergy meds, or if I eat a lot of cheese or if I go wildflower picking when the pollen is heavy, I'm going to end up with sinusitis. So I dont do those things if it means I'll be sick and miss work. I see co-workers who truly have a terrible time with allergies and sinus problems ,but they do NOTHING to get better long-term and then they complain when their bosses are upset that they're out sick 2-3 days per month. Having a doctor's note doesn't absolve an employee of the responsibility to get/stay healthy.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

I'm sorry, but someone like me who no matter what I do has chronic sinusitis and 3 sinus surgeries in the last 2 years can do whatever I can to stay healthy, but you can't help getting sick!

When you have green snot coming out of your nose and an infection it is contagious. You need to get a doc note to stay at home for a couple of days if you feel like crap. If you can feel good enough to return to work 24 hrs after you start the antiobiotics than good, but each case is different.

Thankfully, I don't work or I'd miss work all the time being so ill with sinus issues!

Old 03-22-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
(female)

Afterglow HB User

I feel for you, Halls, but you also have to look at it from a boss's point of view. If you have an employee who's constantly calling in sick, it affects the bottom line -- not to mention what it does to other employees' morale when they have to cover for someone who's out a lot. My company gives 10 sick days a year and there are some employees who take all 10 days every year. A few years ago my company gave 20 sick days a year and those same employees took all 20 days (which is why the number of sick days was reduced to 10) every year.

If you're so sick with constant allergies/sinus problems that, in your words, you'd "miss work all the time", your quallity of life must not be very good. I'm sorry for that. I hope you can find a good doctor or something to get some improvement.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow
I see co-workers who truly have a terrible time with allergies and sinus problems ,but they do NOTHING to get better long-term and then they complain when their bosses are upset that they're out sick 2-3 days per month. Having a doctor's note doesn't absolve an employee of the responsibility to get/stay healthy.

Why do assume these people are doing nothing to try to get better? Maybe their problem is more severe than yours, and they are trying very hard, but without success. I have HEPA air cleaners running in every room. I take Zyrtec, Singulair, Duratuss, Flonase, Astelin, and Patanol eyedrops daily. I get weekly allergy shots. I never do any outdoor activities during pollen seasons. I don't even open the windows in my house, EVER. I wash my sheets weekly in hot water, and with an additive to kill dustmites. I tired numerous vitamin and homeopathic concoctions. I went to bed early and slept 10 hours a night. Yet until I had sinus surgery, I could barely handle a part-time job. Luckily I'm not the breadwinner. Even with surgery, I get an infection or 2 every spring, and yes, I miss work for a few days.

Why didn't I have surgery sooner? Because a series of crappy doctors insisted it was "just allergies" and refused to refer me to an ENT. So if companies want their employees not to miss so much work, maybe they should offer better health plans. If I had had a PPO instead of an HMO, I would've had surgery 10 years ago, instead of 2 1/2 years ago.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 03-23-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:25 PM   #11
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Unfortunatly, it has nothing to do with your age or "trying to act a little bit more like a grown-up." It has to do with being responsible for YOUR health and NOT being irresponsible with your germs. People who get "sinusitis" are contagious until they have been on antibiotics for 48 hours. My husband has a potential terminal lung disease that is inherited and if someone goes to his place of emlopyment ill, they can infect him and everyone the ill person comes in contact with. My husband got bacterial pneumonia from a co-worker that came to work sick and spent 1 week in the hospital and 3 MONTHS off from work all because someone was selfish and not considerate of the other employees in the building, not to mention the customers that they may have come in contact with.

Last edited by 2catfans; 03-23-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:35 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

Quote:
Unfortunatly, it has nothing to do with your age or "trying to act a little bit more like a grown-up." It has to do with being responsible for YOUR health and NOT being irresponsible with your germs. People who get "sinusitis" are contagious until they have been on antibiotics for 48 hours. My husband has a potential terminal lung disease that is inherited and if someone goes to his place of emlopyment ill, they can infect him and everyone the ill person comes in contact with. My husband got bacterial pneumonia from a co-worker that came to work sick and spent 1 week in the hospital and 3 MONTHS off from work all because someone was selfish and not considerate of the other employees in the building, not to mention the customers that they may have come in contact with.
oh my god, that is just like me. My asthma is so bad, it is now shifting toward lung desies . And there is next to nothing I can do, I can’t get ill because I get REALLY ILL. My doctor don’t know what to do with me. And this comes from not taking care of my health when I was younger. Its funny how we learn that we are not invincible once we hit rock bottom.

so yeah I agree, if you are not up to work because your health is getting worse, then don’t go.

Your health is #1. and I see such a difference in my life, when I and healthy from caring for myself. Also know that bad sinus, or even allergies can cause pressure on the brain, causing brain damage. Which is something I swear I have. I have just gone so crazy over the years… like forgetting that a car has a door. Lol I’m so lucky people still love meI would get such bad sinus pressure and and I started scratching my head and I was rubbing my eyes and scratching my head but I couldn’t get the itch because it was in my brain “my brain is itchy” so I would smack my head, and then it started tickling and tickling “my brain is tickling”…. And I was freaking out… I feel pressure from my whole forhead to the back of my head. The whole crown area.

yeah no,,, can’t go to work when that happens.. I won’t go to the doctors for it as well, as I’m embarrassed. I take LOTS of Meds to stop the pressure, and I need to sleep. And once the pressure stops, I am good. but I have to stop it as fast as I can to preven searious damage, and if you are at work, you will end up in the hospital for srue.

Last edited by miyu; 03-25-2006 at 01:39 AM.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #13
(female)

storm12 HB User

I tend to have low-grade fevers with my sinus infections. All I have to do it tell my boss I have a fever, and she'll want me to just stay away until the fever is gone. I only tell her this when it is true, though. (I panic if I even think about lying.) I HAVE forced myself to go to work and work around children with a sinusitis and stuff, but the nurse at my allergist's office yelled at me for being contagious when I finally went to the doctor.

If you truly don't feel well, then it's not doing anyone any favors to go to work.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #14
(female)

macKenzie1818 HB User

Quote:
I had to take sudafed and an antihistamine daily to make it thru the day. It at least helped me stay decongested, so I could hear people talk and not get dizzy.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:52 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

I thought sinus infections weren't contagious?

Closed Thread