It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
(female)

rockylucy05 HB User
Cyst on the sinuses

I had a nasal xray and it showed that I have a sinus infection. Then I had a ct scan of my head and the nurse says that I have a cyst on the sinues. Does anyone know how they treat this? I was on bactrim....I had a reaction to it and I am not taken it anymore after today. I am going to see if (my endo) can prescribe something else until I can go back to my primary care doctor. I hope I don't have to have surgery! I have already had sinus surgery and a septoplasty in 1997. I was told I may have to have the same surgery 2-3 times. No thank you!

Cindy

Old 04-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
(female)

Mar1 HB User
Re: Cyst on the sinuses

I would imagine it would depend on if the cyst is causing problems. I also have a cyst in one of my maxillary sinuses, but it doesn't cause me any problems, so we're not doing anything about it. Sometimes a prednisone burst will shrink it, so that might be an option if it is bothering you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

Who ever told you that you might need to have sinus surgery 2-3 times must not have a lot of confidence in his abilities as a surgeon.

The polyp (cyst) is pretty common. It really depends on how big it is, and if it is causing an obstruction. Some things to remember

1. Antiobtics don't treat sinus infections. They have less than a 10% success rate against chronic infections.
2. Sinus issues are usually caused by a number of factors: allergies, structural problems, polyps, etc.

Are you irrigating? Taking antihistamines?

I imagine that you can have the cyst removed through a pretty minimally-invasive endoscopic procedure. It's not sinoplasty -they are not reshaping bones or anything.

but I would get a 2nd and even 3rd opinion on this. Get the CT scan and take it to another doctor.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

Hey there...I had one in my maxillary sinus too. My ENT went in a popped it, so I can fill up from time to time and drain itself; he also said that he put a hole about the size of a nickle in my maxiallry sinus to drain it. A cyst is no biggy; i never had pain from it but I guess they could.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:22 PM   #5
(female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hello!

I had an ent tell me that because my septum could become crooked.....he said I may need to have it done 2-3 times. I am taking claritan-d because of the sinus infection, otherwise I would just be taking claritan. I am also, taking singulair, advair, and albuetrol. My doctor called in a new prescription for me.....it is cefaclor 500 mg....to take it 3X a day. I have tried the irrigating and it did not help me. I am trying to get an appointment to my primary care doctor so he can tell me how big and what kind of cyst. I was just curious about how they treat this....don't want to be surprised. I have been having really painful headaches, and I guess this would be causing it. If it was not causing the painful headaches and was not bothering me then I would not do anything either, but it is, and just wanted to know.

Thanks,

Cindy

Old 04-13-2006, 04:56 AM   #6
(female)

Mar1 HB User

Yea, septums can sometimes return back to their original position after surgery. I'm also concerned about that as I just had a septoplasty done myself and certainly don't want to have it done again if my septum decides to go back to where it was.

The main thing with the cyst is they need to know how big it is and also it's position to see if it's blocking drainage. Steroids can shrink them, like I said, or surgery can be done, but it will most likely come back, so even if you have surgery, I would expect to be on some sort of steroid nasal spray to prevent it from coming back.

What were you irrigating with? That's been the biggest lifesaver for me, since I'm refusing antibiotics at this point (they never did anything to help).

Old 04-13-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
(female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Since I haven't done irrigation in a long time, but I believe it was sea salt. What kind of steriod nasal spray? I don't like taking antibiotics, but I want to get over the sinus infection so that I can get the biopsy on the nodule(thyroid) done asap.

Thanks,

Cindy

Old 04-14-2006, 04:34 AM   #8
(female)

Mar1 HB User

Try the NeilMed Sinus Rinse, you can check online for a store that sells it in your area or you can buy it online. The package comes with the irrigating bottle which works fabulously and comes with premixed saline solution. It's really been a huge lifesaver for me.

For the nasal spray, both my regular Dr. and my ENT recommend Nasonex. It helps with allergies but it also will reduce polyps and cysts and keep inflammation down.

I'm not big on antibiotics for sinus infections, but that's a personal thing for me. I was on every kind of antibiotic possible for 6 months and they didn't do a thing.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
(female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hello Mar1!

Thank you so much for answering all my questions and helping me out. You are an for giving me some good info. I have doctor's appointment this coming Monday so I will ask for the script on the nasonex. I have heard of the NeilMed Sinus Rinse and my store has it and I have notice that we sell a lot of it, but didn't think I needed that until now with all the problems coming back. I have asked customers if it is a great product and of course they said it is...so I will give it a try. I don't ever remember having a cyst on the sinuses before so kinda of new with that. Wow! 6 months on antibiotics is a long time to be on them. I am only on them for 7 days and hopefully that will help some....then I will start using the NeilMed Sinus Rinse and with the Nasonex....that should help.

Thanks,

Cindy

Old 04-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
(female)

Mar1 HB User

I know how painful and frustrating these can be, so I'm glad to help

I think you'll be surprised how much it helps. Irrigating feels kind of strange at first, but it really helps get some of the gunk out that builds up. And the good thing about the premixed packets is you always know that you have the right amount. My ENT recommended it and it really has helped me quite a bit. It's funny because I stopped using it about a week ago and I can feel a little pain coming back on, so I need to start using it again to help clear the gunk out and keep things moving.

Definately talk to your Dr. about the Nasonex. He may also recommend Flonase. I personally prefer the Nasonex because it's completely unscented. I was a little afraid at first that it would taste pretty nasty, but I don't even notice it at all. It may take a week or two to really notice any affect, so don't be discouraged when it doesn't work immediately.

I don't know what I'd do if my cyst started bothering me. My cyst is in the left maxillary sinus, where as all of my sinus infection problems were on the right. I didn't even know I had a cyst until I had a CT scan done. Luckily, it's shrunk since they first noticed it (3 rounds of prednisone and the Nasonex), so no worries for me right now. Good luck with all of this. I know it's tough, but it'll get better.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #11
(female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hello Mar1!

I had a doctor appointment this morning. He said it is a mycocele or a maxmillary retention cyst. I believe it is on the right side becasue I can feel blockage on that side. The Neilmed Sinus Wash is wonderful...it really does open everything up and my ears don't feel as clogged as they were and my headache is not so bad. Thank you...Thank you.....Thank you so much. I would recommend this to anyone that has terrible sinus problems....this is the product to use. I am on a generic flonase already and he said that would be good enough. This doctor prescribe me predisone...2 in the morning and 2 at night and then 1 a day for a week. I hope I feel much better soon. It is frustrating to deal with this because I was 13 when I first started dealing with this and now I will be 30 next month and I still have the problems even after two surgeries.

Thanks,

Cindy

Old 04-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
(female)

Mar1 HB User

That's great! I'm glad the rinse is working for you. It's amazing what it does and how much better it feels afterwards. I was shocked myself after the first few times I used it. Hopefully all of this works for you. I know for me, after a few days on prednisone I start to feel much better, so I hope it works the same for you.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
(male)

chuzzlewit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockylucy05
Hello Mar1!

I had a doctor appointment this morning. He said it is a mycocele or a maxmillary retention cyst. I believe it is on the right side becasue I can feel blockage on that side. The Neilmed Sinus Wash is wonderful...it really does open everything up and my ears don't feel as clogged as they were and my headache is not so bad. Thank you...Thank you.....Thank you so much. I would recommend this to anyone that has terrible sinus problems....this is the product to use. I am on a generic flonase already and he said that would be good enough. This doctor prescribe me predisone...2 in the morning and 2 at night and then 1 a day for a week. I hope I feel much better soon. It is frustrating to deal with this because I was 13 when I first started dealing with this and now I will be 30 next month and I still have the problems even after two surgeries.

Thanks,

Cindy
The retention cyst at the base of your maxillary sinus is totally inconsequential (asymptomatic) so don't worry about it. They happen to occur in people with allergies and sinus problems, your congestion is due to your sinus/allergy problems. Forget that you ever heard that you have a retention cyst. I in fact have two of them (bilaterally) and I worried for years before I put it behind me.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #14
(female)

cmsaint HB User

I just put a post about nasal polyps too! I was told about a week ago in a MRI I had done that I have a few nasal polys. I can see them if I look up my nose, so they arent too far up. Im going to my allergist on May 3rd. and have him look at them and tell me whats the next step.

Im freaking over a possible surgery , is there an easier way to treat them?

Closed Thread