It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
(male)

2talll HB User
sinus infection- anitbiotics all done...now what?

I've had a horrible sinus infection since last Tuesday where I've basically been going between bed and the couch since then. I had a giant sinus headache that wouldn't go away, I couldn't breathe, swallow or talk because everything was going down my throat, and my sinuses were completely congested.

Got to the dr on Saturday and he put me on zithromax (sp?) along with Robitusin and Sudafed. Since then I've been spitting up mucus and blood. Took the last pill this morning. My throat feels alot better and I can breathe through my nose, but I still have the horrible headache/pain right behind my right eye and I'm still coughing and sniffing up blood.

Is this normal as the infection clears up, or should I go back to the dr tomorrow to get more anti-biotics (he's not in today)? I had one of my doctors tell me that if there is "stuff coming out" then it means the sinuses are clearing out and taking something could just "send it all back." Then the other doctor I talked to said that the draining is a sign that something is wrong. What do I do?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User
Re: sinus infection- anitbiotics all done...now what?

i two have a horriable sinus infection i went to the doctor on sat they put me on amoxicilin and vicodin for the headache im not getting any better either my thinking is that this may just have to do it's time my ears are blocked i can't hear my eyes and forhead are killing me i don't have the blood thing like you do i have been sick for two weeks now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

You should go back...the doctor is really the only person who can decide if you need more anti-biotics or not, given your symptoms. To me, it sounds like the infection is not completely gone, if you are still having pain.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The Z Pak continues to work for several days ( a week, I believe) after you take the final pill. It hasn't had enough time to complete its work.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
(male)

2talll HB User

Well, the headache just kept getting worse and worse so I went back today and saw the other Dr. She said the zythromax really isn't strong enough to clear up really bad sinus infections and since I've used it a few times the past few years it really isn't effective. She has me on omnicef (or something like that) for the next 10 days.

She was kind of confused about the robitusin and sudafed- she said she can see using them to clear up the congestion but seeing as the congestion was caused by a sinus infection it didn't make sense because both of those tend to "push back" the congestion so if just goes back up into the sinuses. So now she has me taking Mucocin (sp) which she said is designed for sinus infections.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
(male)

pizzzzza HB User

Have you had any type of x-ray or scan to show that you DO INDEED have a sinus infection?

Anti-biotics can only do so much.

You need to find out, because if you wait too long, it can worsen - and like me, you end up having endoscopic sinus surgery to remove the infection.

Good luck!

Mark

Old 04-19-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
(male)

2talll HB User

They both said they could definitley tell it's a sinus infection just by looking. I've actually had two sinus infections before that didn't show up on x-rays so waiting the extra 2-3 weeks to get an appointment with my ENT to have him take xrays rather than going to my GP didn't make any sense at all.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
(female)

gkkopp HB User

I've taken two Rx of Leviquin and 20 days of the Omincef in the last two and half months. I'm still congested.

Last edited by gkkopp; 04-19-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
(male)

2talll HB User

I already feel a little better. Funny thing is the doctor asked about my congestion and I said it was a lot better than it was on Saturday- she took a look and said, "oh no, it's not. It's still a mess up there." Guess I'm so used to being congested it doesn't even bother me any more. Too bad the headaches feel like iI've been beaten in the eye with a baseball bat- don't think I'll ever get used to that...and I've had migraines since I was 2 so I'm used to headaches.

Get to go take my Excedrin PM in a couple minutes and go to bed. Some April Vacation- being excited to take medicine before going to bed because it's the only time I don't have the horrible headaches.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
(female)

secondfiddle2 HB User
Smile Re: sinus infection- anitbiotics all done...now what?

Zythromax Aka Z Pack..is A Top Of The Line Antibiotic..robitussion Can Be For Congestion And Supression, Just Depends..and Good Ole Sudafed Is A Decongestant..you're Doing All The Right Things..drainage Is Good..check The Color..green And Yellow Mean Infection..clear Meanr Alergic Rhinitis..aka Runny Nose..hot Steamy Showers Help Alot..hold Your Nose And Bloe Gently, You Ill Feel Your Ears Pop..releasing Any Possible Fluid Build Up..headaches Are From The Sinus Pressure..tylenol Or Asprin, Aleve, Whatever You Prefer..they Now Even Sell Shower Soothers At Your Pharmacy Over The Counter..drop One In Your Shower And It Releases A Vicks Scent To Help W/stuffiness..just Go Back And See Your Doctor And He Or She Will Know What's Best To Do..reading Online Can Cause Hypochondria And Then Your Mind Will Be Crazy With Fear..it's A Simple Sinus Infection And Sometimes Can Require A Second Bout Of Medicines..it's All Good!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
(female)

secondfiddle2 HB User
Smile Re: sinus infection- anitbiotics all done...now what?

Zythromax Aka Z Pack..is A Top Of The Line Antibiotic..robitussion Can Be For Congestion And Supression, Just Depends..and Good Ole Sudafed Is A Decongestant..you're Doing All The Right Things..drainage Is Good..check The Color..green And Yellow Mean Infection..clear Meanr Alergic Rhinitis..aka Runny Nose..hot Steamy Showers Help Alot..hold Your Nose And Bloe Gently, You Ill Feel Your Ears Pop..releasing Any Possible Fluid Build Up..headaches Are From The Sinus Pressure..tylenol Or Asprin, Aleve, Whatever You Prefer..they Now Even Sell Shower Soothers At Your Pharmacy Over The Counter..drop One In Your Shower And It Releases A Vicks Scent To Help W/stuffiness..just Go Back And See Your Doctor And He Or She Will Know What's Best To Do..reading Online Can Cause Hypochondria And Then Your Mind Will Be Crazy With Fear..it's A Simple Sinus Infection And Sometimes Can Require A Second Bout Of Medicines..it's All Good! I Would Also Ask For A Nasal Spray Like Flonase Or Astelin..they Help As Well..astelin Is The Cadillac Of All Nose Sprays..

Old 04-20-2006, 06:01 AM   #12
(female)

misguideddream HB User

Just check with your doctor.
I had a double ear infection and strep throat a couple weeks ago. Zthromax cleared up the strep but my ears still feel plugged.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #13
(male)

2talll HB User

I had to stop taking the flounase and astelin last year. They were clearing the congestion, but just pushing everything up into the sinuses, causing infections.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2talll
I had to stop taking the flounase and astelin last year. They were clearing the congestion, but just pushing everything up into the sinuses, causing infections.

Flonase and Astelin can cause sinus infections to flare up, but not because it is "pushing stuff back into the sinuses" It is because it your sinuses are finally draining properly and all that gunk up there is finally moving. It may not seem like it at the time, but it is actually a good sign. Irrigating while using the nosesprays will help the draining process move along faster.

Also the Z-pack is great for an acute infection, but not strong enough for chronic problems.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 04-20-2006 at 12:50 PM.

Closed Thread