It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
(male)

eatnow HB User
questions about sinus rinse by Neilmed, any long term effects, etc?

i just purchased a NeilMed sinus rinse and i'm wondering if there is any long term side effects that i should know about? I assume there shouldn't be any since its just water and that weird solution? I tried using it and it was very unpleasent. The rush of water going into my nostrils as if i were swimming and accidently swallowed some water going into my nose/mouth (not sure if that makes sense). Your thoughts on this product, whether or not it helped your situation or made it worse? Am I suppose to use up all 240ml split up between two nostrils for maximum effect? I was barely able to even use up of the bottle because of the unpleasent feeling i got from the solution going into my nose as if i was choking on it.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Re: questions about sinus rinse by Neilmed, any long term effects, etc?

I use sinusrinse through neilmed everyday. It's just saline, can't hurt you. If anything it helps clear out the sinuses. My ENT recommended it 2 years ago and I've used it ever since.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
(male)

eatnow HB User

Thanks, is it normal for it to dry out your nose? my nose feels even more dry later in teh day because of the sinus rinse? Lately however, i'm not sure if its the rinse or just the summer heat/humidity, since CA and across the country seems to be going through a bad heatwave

Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Stick with it. It feels uncomfortable at first, but then you adjust to it, and wonder how you lived without it. No long term effects, except relief from congestion!

There is a concern about germs growing in the bottle. Make-sure you empty it after each use, and rinse. I rinse mine with hydrogen peroxide occasionally to make sure it is clean.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
(male)

eatnow HB User

still trying to get use to this thing, but is it normal to have to blow your nose a lot after you're done with the sinus rinse to try to get all the gunk out of your nostrils (feels as though i'm even more stuffed up)? I noticed one day even after blowing my nose that when i would tilt my head to the left or right, the watery solution would come dripping out of my nostrils. This was a good 4-5hrs later. I assume i was really stuffed up to the point where the rinse solution was still in my nose. Anyone experience this before?

Old 07-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
(male)

sanufi HB User

I've also felt more stuffed up after rinsing. Sometimes I'm so stuffed up, the water doesn't even drain from my nose. Water draining from the nose is supposed to be normal I think.

Sneezydiva,
For the sinus rinse, what water temperature works best for you?
Should boiled tap water be safe to use or is distilled water better?
Is it normal to have solution going into your throat from the sinus rinse even though I'm tilting my head forwards when irrigating?

Old 07-21-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
(male)

eatnow HB User

I'm aware that the solution is suppose to come out through the oppposite nostril of the nostril in which you're spraying the solution into. However, I noticed once in a while that the solution will come out of my nose hours later. Just seemed weird to me. I don't believe that is normal (probably due to my nose being clogged and the solution not being able to fully go through the other nostril). For instance, if i were to use the sinus rinse at 6PM, later at night, say around 2AM, I would have some solution still coming out of my nose if i were to lay on either side of my body. Or if i were to tilt my head to the left or right, some solution will drain out the opposite nostirl of which direction my head is tilted (if i were to do this hours later after doing my sinus rinse). I assume this is just solution that is left in some part of my ear/nose?

Last edited by eatnow; 07-21-2006 at 11:23 PM.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanufi
I've also felt more stuffed up after rinsing. Sometimes I'm so stuffed up, the water doesn't even drain from my nose. Water draining from the nose is supposed to be normal I think.

Sneezydiva,
For the sinus rinse, what water temperature works best for you?
Should boiled tap water be safe to use or is distilled water better?
Is it normal to have solution going into your throat from the sinus rinse even though I'm tilting my head forwards when irrigating?

I prefer slightly warm solution, not too hot or cold, to help cut through the mucus. I personally do not boil my water, I just use it from the tap. It's normal to have a little solution go down your throat, but if it is a lot, you need to bend forward even more, to the point where the top of your head is down, and your almost upside down.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatnow
I'm aware that the solution is suppose to come out through the oppposite nostril of the nostril in which you're spraying the solution into. However, I noticed once in a while that the solution will come out of my nose hours later. Just seemed weird to me. I don't believe that is normal (probably due to my nose being clogged and the solution not being able to fully go through the other nostril). For instance, if i were to use the sinus rinse at 6PM, later at night, say around 2AM, I would have some solution still coming out of my nose if i were to lay on either side of my body. Or if i were to tilt my head to the left or right, some solution will drain out the opposite nostirl of which direction my head is tilted (if i were to do this hours later after doing my sinus rinse). I assume this is just solution that is left in some part of my ear/nose?

This is totally normal. It is happening because you are either very congested or have some type of blockage. If you find solution getting stuck, I wouldn't recommend irrigating right before bedtime. I used a decogestant spray at first to help get the stuff out a little faster. And yes, it is normal to need to blow your nose a lot after, that's what you want to happen, to get that stuff out.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanufi

yup, sounds like me when my allergies are very bad or when i have a cold/sinus infection. sometimes i get huge hunks of snot that look like jelly fish, pretty nasty, but they usually wont come out until a couple hours later --better late than never i guess.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #11
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezydiva
Stick with it. It feels uncomfortable at first, but then you adjust to it, and wonder how you lived without it. No long term effects, except relief from congestion!

There is a concern about germs growing in the bottle. Make-sure you empty it after each use, and rinse. I rinse mine with hydrogen peroxide occasionally to make sure it is clean.
But you rinse again with water after the hydrogen peroxide rinse ? Is it the 3% antiseptic solution at drugstores ?

Closed Thread