It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2006, 12:55 AM   #1

Kristin777 HB User
Please Help ME! Sinus infection/choking/wheezing

I'm a 17 year old diagnosed with a sinus infection, I was on augmentin for 10 days, now am on Biaxin, (8 out of 14 days) and hydrocodone cough syrup.
I am mostly better, but now I am experiencing a sense of almost hyperventilation. It'll start with an unproductive cough that I can't stop...it keeps going until I run out of air (usually involving gagging and whatnot) and as I try to inhale my passages shut down, and I physically cannot get any air into my lungs....it feels like my throat is shutting. It can last from 1 cough, to 30-40 seconds of gasping/wheezing which eventually turns into a good 5 minutes of gagging, retching, burping and coughing.
It happens between 1 and 4 times a day, varying in severity.
Please help me, because it's really scary being unable to breathe, and I'm terrified to go to sleep because of it.
I've been to the doctors, and they are befuddled, and I have a septoplasty scheduled for 1 week from now, but if I keep gasping like this, there is no way I'll be able to let my nose heal.

If anyone knows ANYTHING about the gasping PLEASE tell me!
Thanks
Kristin

Old 07-19-2006, 05:00 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Re: Please Help ME! Sinus infection/choking/wheezing

Maybe you have an allergy from one of the meds that you got from the doctor? Have you thought about that? Were you having these symptoms before you started having this problem?

Have you considered going to see an allergist to see whether you have asthma? You may want to think about it. They can test your lung capacity and see if you have asthma. And they can prescribe an inhaler.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
(female)

Sandy Beach HB User

Go to ENT doctor to check for Acid Reflux. My symptoms were same as yours and I have an acid reflux disease called LPR

Old 08-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #4

Kristin777 HB User

Thanks for both your replys, I did go to the dr. and ended up with breathing treatments and an inhaler, but that didn't stop it. I did have allergies, but the allergy medication was actually making it worse. It's still here, but slooooooowly getting better.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Kristen777,
My son and I have a similar response if we get stressed, fall in to fits of uncontrolable laughter, respiratory illnesses, or allergen irritations... our bronchial passages seize up. Our response is a form of reactive airway disease/bronchial asthma. My lung capacity is great, but occasional something triggers it and my upper chest feels tight and I start coughing. When the throat and broncial passages get stimulated... excess mucas, coughing, wheezing occurs... the tissues begin to swell and only reduce marginally with medications. It can take a while for the deep retching cough to stop and my allergists, immunologists, internal med guy, and ENT could offer me no quick solutions.
Mainly we try to calm down, drink something with caffine (bronciodialator), use our inhalers, mayhap steam our heads, and wait. It is scary and appears to get worse when I put on additional weight (been fluctuating ever since my pregnancy).
Best of luck. Post if you find something that helps.
Sincerely, MG

Closed Thread