HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   clogged sinus and ears, help, going bonkers (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/412442-clogged-sinus-ears-help-going-bonkers.html)

cloggedinsi 07-23-2006 06:17 PM

clogged sinus and ears, help, going bonkers

:confused: THIS IS MY FIRST THREAD. THIS PAST SATURDAY MY SINUSES JUST CLOGGED UP SUDDENLY, OUT OF THE BLUE. DOCTOR GAVE ME BIAXIN 500MG FOR SEVEN DAYS. JUST TOOK LAST PILL. SINUS ARE A LITTLE BETTER BUT NOW MY EARS ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO STUFFED AND I CAN'T GET ANY RELIEF. IS THIS NORMAL WHEN YOU HAVE SINUS CONGESTION? AND HOW DO YOU RELIEVE THE PRESSURE YOU FEEL. EVERYTHING I HAVE TRIED HAS NOT WORKED IE., YAWNING, ETC. CAN ANYONE HELP? IT HAS GOTTEN SO BAD THAT I AM HAVING PANIC ATTACKS AND AM AFRAID TO SLEEP FOR FEAR OF FURTHER CLOGGING. I AM REALLY AT MY WITTS END, AND UNLESS YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS, NOONE YOU TALK TO UNDERSTANDS OR CARES.
THANKS, CLOGGED UP IN STATEN ISLAND

sepheitous 07-24-2006 04:20 AM

Re: clogged sinus and ears, help, going bonkers

it sounds like massive allergies... i understand your stress because I wake up every morning with a clogged ear and it lasts for a minute or two after i sit up, sometimes longer... and THAT IS ENOUGH TO MAKE ME WANT TO TYPE LIKE THIS... but i dont think people would want to reply to a message that is in all capitals as much as one that isnt.

try taking an anti inflammatory like motrin IB, if that doesnt work try different OTC allergy medications... they are anti-histamines, and histamine is the goop that is responsible for clogging up your ****.

cloggedinsi 07-25-2006 04:47 AM

Thanks for your reply. I had to ask my husband what you meant by all caps as opposed to lower case (I never use the computer). He cleared that up for me, sorry, didn't mean to yell. As far as the ears go, I WISH they would unclog after a few minutes, but this is now four days. I wwnt to an allergist for first time ever, and all the tests came back negative. Thats where the anxiety comes from, I was hoping for an answer/treatment. Thanks again!

MountainReader 08-09-2006 08:34 PM

Rest assured that ear pressure is extremely normal for a sinus infection. I also get extremely painful facial pressure and headaches. It can make you extremely uncomfortable and can be painful. I live at a high altitude and my ears typically pop just driving to and from work. When they were congested so badly the altitude changes really hurt.

I have had sinus infections in the past that were very persistant. I have had several that have required multiple courses of antibiotics, trying different antibiotics and finally trying a steroid series. Unfortunately, a couple of the infections held on for up to two months and came back again after a few months. As uncomfortable as it is, it will get better eventually. Keep visiting your doctor. It took me several years to find a doctor that helped me through them and was supportive of me. If you have a doctor that doesn't listen, please see another.

By the way, I found antibiotics that worked well and was on them so often that I eventually became allergic to them and to one of the steroid packs. At that point, I had to try something new. There are many choices your doctor can make that are all effective for sinus infections in their own ways.

It's not a cure, but sometimes laying on a heating pad for a while before bed helped it feel better a bit.

I hope yours doesn't last much longer, but it does sound like your symptoms are pretty typical. Good Luck.

mkgbrook 08-14-2006 01:55 PM

From a sufferer of chronic sinusitus. Having a minimum of 6 sinus infections a year, with antibiotic series lasting at least 21 days; I can sympathize. Take very hot showers.. steam your head, it will thin the mucas and help it begin to drop down the back of your throat (a wonderful thing to look forward too). Use saline spray rinses in your nose, also look into using a nasal steriod spray like afrin if you are not on flonase/nasonex/nasacort already. Use the saline spray as many times a day as you like... you are just thinging out some of the goo to help promote drainage. Good luck, and go back to the doctor for more antibiotics if you are not completly cleared up at the end. Sinus infections are dark cavity infections... there is low blood flow in the area, thus it is hard for the antibiotics to treat an infection in just 7-14 days. If you are not completely cleared out and allow the infection to come back, it will come back stronger with a good probability of being resistant to the antibiotic you were just on. I have had a few infections that were resistant to a few classes of antibiotics, before I got them killed off.
Sincerely, MG