It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
(male)

hp8 HB User
Can visit to Dentist cause sinusitis

Can going to the dentist for a root canal and other dental work bring on sinus infection or problems.

Old 09-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #2

dasw HB User
Re: Can visit to Dentist cause sinusitis

Hi hp8, When I had an x-ray taken of my upper teeth the hygienist pointed out that my sinuses (right above the roots) were congested. While the proximity makes it seem possible....whether or not an infection from a root canal or other deep dental work can get into the sinuses will have to be answered by your dentist or doctor. I'd be interested in seeing any other posts about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 06:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Can visit to Dentist cause sinusitis

hp8,

As dasw said it would be for your doctor to determine whether or not you managed to get a sinus infection as a result of a tooth infection. However, I have a pretty well pronounced heart murmur, and need to take anti-biotics for my dental cleanings... the only infections that I have heard of dentists worrying about transferring is bacterial sources getting into your blood stream and infecting your heart.

Now as to another thought, when you have an infection... any infection your immune system is under stress. As a result of system stress one of your bodies defenses is to produce mucus and purge the invader. This may have occured in your case, and if you didn't take decongestants or drain properly, the mucus in your sinuses may have proved a nice site for a sinus infection.

See your GP or ant ENT, they will be able to determine if it is a sinus infection or just irritation and congestion.

Best wishes and good luck.

Respectfully yours, MG

Closed Thread