It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
(female)

misguideddream HB User
Sinus rinse

A friend of mine recommended that I try a sinus rinse to help with my congestion/pressure from allergies. The brand she recommended was "Sinus Rinse" and she said you can buy them OTC at most pharmacies. She said its a bottle you fill with water then add the included packets and use that to flush out your sinuses.

I'm a bit weary to try this because the thought of squirting something up my nose sounds painful. But I'm also willing to try anything to alleviate this allergy crap right now.

Has anyone tried this (brand) before? Does it work well?

Old 09-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
(female)

joygrisham HB User
Re: Sinus rinse

Never tried it but lately I've been interested in the Neti Pot which sounds very similar. I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me what the difference is between the two.

I don't think it's painful....but I could be wrong. I'm anxious to hear other responses here.

Last edited by joygrisham; 09-27-2006 at 03:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #3

hovan HB User

I am having a problem with very heavy, thick mucus from pnd. I have not tried the rinse yet, but I am so uncomfortable I will try it shortly. I too am interested in the response. I am afraid if I already have a choking feeling from the pnd that I could push the mucus into a place and literally choke from it.....has anyone else have this problem..

Old 09-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

It will feel strange at first, but it provides so much relief! You will get used to it quickly, and soon wonder how you survived without it.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
(female)

sw3006 HB User

I use a saline rinse, i think it's called 'simply saline'. felt odd at first, but now, i love it, feel so much better after i wash out my nasil passages. especially after working in the yard - it prevents a sinus flare-up.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #6

hovan HB User

I have just started using the sinus rinse (probably about 4 days). It does provide temporary relief but my mucus is so thick and uncomfortable I have an ENT appt later this month. I hang over the sink with a towel in front of me or use it in the shower. I try to make my throat close so it does not run down into my stomach. I feel a little better but my pnd is so bad I am really worried it could be something more serious. Maybe someone can answer this question for me. I don't let it run down my throat because of High BP. I am assuming the salt might raise my bp. I am using it the right way or should it drain into the stomach. That would seem really choking to me....let me know if I am doing it right. Does someone have a better method...the bottle hold about 8 ounces. thanks

Old 05-24-2007, 04:47 AM   #7
(female)

cathyg50 HB User

I bought SaltAire pre-mixed in a bottle. I plan on making my own when the solution is gone and using the bottle. Your supposed to only use WARM water and un-iodized salt. I found this formula on the net... mix ¼ teaspoon (1.25 g) of salt and ¼ teaspoon (1.25 g) of baking soda in 6 fl oz (175 mL) of warm water. I too, was wondering how the heck this worked. You MUST tilt your head forward over a sink or in the shower. You just squeeze the bottle straight up towards the back of your head and let it full your nose cavities, breath through your mouth. I have never had this go down my throat. It didn't fill my nose cavities at first because I had mucus in them. Lots of blowing out junk once you start this. I look forward to doing it, it feels great!

Closed Thread